Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 03:08 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If someone picks NYC to visit, going to Chicago would be pointless. That's the same reason I wouldn't suggest Boston, or Philly; they would appear to be miniature versions of NYC.
I would agree a foreigner should go to NYC before Chicago, just because you HAVE to see NYC as America's pre-eminent city. But I'll just pose this... if a foreigner visited Chicago after they visited NYC, my guess is that many would like (though perhaps "appreciate" is a better word) Chicago more. Cheaper, more manageable, less hectic, cleaner with about 75% of what NYC has. NYC is special because it's NYC. More of everything in spades, but there's a major tourist tax with that.

My list:
NYC
DC-- Only because of the museums and institutions. The city itself is fairly meh.
New Orleans
SF or LA

I think that's it. Chicago, Boston, Philly are the only others and they end up on cutting room floor. They're great for a second visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 03:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I would agree a foreigner should go to NYC before Chicago, just because you HAVE to see NYC as America's pre-eminent city. But I'll just pose this... if a foreigner visited Chicago after they visited NYC, my guess is that many would like (though perhaps "appreciate" is a better word) Chicago more. Cheaper, more manageable, less hectic, cleaner with about 75% of what NYC has. NYC is special because it's NYC. More of everything in spades, but there's a major tourist tax with that.

My list:
NYC
DC-- Only because of the museums and institutions. The city itself is fairly meh.
New Orleans
SF or LA

I think that's it. Chicago, Boston, Philly are the only others and they end up on cutting room floor. They're great for a second visit.
I like your list but DC doesn't need a disclaimer next to it, it's pretty world class, and the tourist attractions alone make it worthy. There are many things to see in the city outside of the downtown though.

Miami contends for me on my list though since it's unique for a US city, and could supplant New Orleans, if DC is meh to you outside of the museums, New Orleans wouldn't attract most people outside of downtown/ French Quarter either.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I like your list but DC doesn't need a disclaimer next to it, it's pretty world class, and the tourist attractions alone make it worthy. There are many things to see in the city outside of the downtown though.

Miami contends for me on my list though since it's unique for a US city, and could supplant New Orleans, if DC is meh to you outside of the museums, New Orleans wouldn't attract most people outside of downtown/ French Quarter either.
I guess "meh" was a bit much but the only reason I placed above Boston and Philly is its museums and institutions (and nothing else). If it weren't for these two factors, I would easily put Boston and Philadelphia above DC. They are simply more interesting cities.

That's why.

Also, Miami would not be in my top 10 (or at best, at the bottom of it).

Old 08-24-2022, 03:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times
Quote:
I guess "meh" was a bit much but the only reason I placed above Boston and Philly is its museums and institutions (and nothing else). If it weren't for these two factors, I would easily put Boston and Philadelphia above DC. They are simply more interesting cities.

That's why.

TBH a quick trip from DC to NYC, stopping in Philly for a day or two, and up to Boston is perfectly doable in a single itinerary.

It's like how tourist (at least East Asian tourists) love to group LA, SF, and Vegas along with Grand Canyon in a single itinerary.

Then there's Orlando for mouse lovers, New Orleans for its food and relative uniqueness.

If I HAVE to pick 5...
1. NYC - Philly can serve as a side trip
2. Greater LA, possible side trip to San Diego
3. DC
4. SF - it has its unique attractions
5. Boston

Others:
Seattle, New Orleans, Vegas, Orlando

I couldn't quite put Chicago on the list - I like the metro area overall but IMHO also doesn't have a lot for average tourists.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:57 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:

That's why.

Ironically I think it’s precisely because many foreign tourists focus almost exclusively on the super touristy sights of DC and think that’s all there is to it that they often come away disappointed. Yeah DC will never hold up to the great world capitals like London and Paris. It may not be as pretty as Boston or as old as Philly. It does, however, also have beautiful neighborhoods and historic architecture in spades. . . Georgetown? Alexandria? DuPont Circle? The whole L’Enfant thing?? You can strip away the touristy facade of DC and I would argue you still end up with some of the most beautiful architecture of any city in the country. Would it be enough to get it into the top 5? Maybe not, but it shouldn’t be dismissed so lightly.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Ironically I think it’s precisely because many foreign tourists focus almost exclusively on the super touristy sights of DC and think that’s all there is to it that they often come away disappointed. Yeah DC will never hold up to the great world capitals like London and Paris. It may not be as pretty as Boston or as old as Philly. It does, however, also have beautiful neighborhoods and historic architecture in spades. . . Georgetown? Alexandria? DuPont Circle? The whole L’Enfant thing?? You can strip away the touristy facade of DC and I would argue you still end up with some of the most beautiful architecture of any city in the country. Would it be enough to get it into the top 5? Maybe not, but it shouldn’t be dismissed so lightly.
I don't see a Philadelphia for example, any more appealing to visit than DC (even without downtown attractions of both cities). And I love Philly have been double digit times, but probably only did the true "tourist" stuff one time. There's about an equal amount of "non-downtown" stuff to do in both cities. DC's best urban hoods outside of downtown match most of what you get in Philly, Boston, and there's some competing with Chicago's. They're all similarly tiered cities. Of course Chi has more than the others due to size.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-24-2022 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 09:04 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Of course, it also depends on the interests of the particular tourists...
for architecture fans, Chicago is a must-see; for foodies, New Orleans;
for nature lovers, Seattle. Etc.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:45 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
NYC
SF
Miami
Boston
Chicago

my top 5 of cities they have to visit

Old 08-25-2022, 07:03 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Travelport conducted a study last fall and found these are the top 5 US cities foreigners are actually visiting. Also depends where they are coming from.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-where-inter

NYC
Miami
Orlando
LA
SF

From my experience when I lived on the West Coast a person visiting LA would likely visit SF and/or Vegas. Likewise, a foreigner visiting Miami would also likely visit Orlando. One could also make the case for a tie in visit to Boston, Philly and/or DC with a NYC visit.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-25-2022 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-25-2022, 07:20 AM

472 posts, read 346,956 times
My list:

NYC
NOLA
LA
DC
Vegas/Miami/Orlando (One of these 3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City