Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog79 View Post
This is from Traveljee's top 10 most technologically advanced cities in the US

1. San Jose, CA
2. Washington D.C.
3. San Francisco, CA
4. New York City, NY
5. Austin, TX
6. Boston, MA
7. Seattle, WA
8. Los Angeles, CA
9. Dallas, TX
10. Chicago, IL
No Houston? No Miami?

Though this sights listings.... says nothing on a city's modern look. Merely how Modernized their Tech connection to City Governments upgraded aspects.....

Seems the OP ask about a Modern Feel and Look. Not behind the scenes modern technology more prevalent in that city.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
San Jose sucks and is barely urban at all. If that's what modern will look like then I'm fine with retro/outdated/whatever.
I actually think San Jose looks pretty old. As in 50s/60s old. I agree with whoever said Toronto.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
CHICAGO is a Modern looking city in many respects. It has much of its Older parts restored with New Skyscrapers ALL around them. But it also as its Near North part of Downtown and New East Side as Virtually all New buildings.

Examples;
7 year old Photo of Chicago's Near North Downtown some buildings missing. Its Gold Coast North Shore in the distance.

Chicago's New East Side part of Downtown.

Other side of New East Side on left and Streeterville Downtown on right. MAKE A MODERN VISTA ON THE CHICAGO RIVER

Last edited by steeps; 10-27-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
La, san jose, everyone else

Old 10-28-2015, 02:34 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Miami and its entire Southeast Florida CSA, Las Vegas Boulevard, and Honolulu and its entire area of Oahu. Followed by ONLY the Dallas side of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, then Greater Phoenix, Greater San Diego, Greater Austin, and Greater Seattle. Various parts of Manhattan too, especially now with the enhancing cityscape. Same with Chicago, some parts along the Riverwalk on the Chicago River could apply, possibly in addition to Magnificent Mile on Michigan Avenue, so include the bridges too.

I would say those 10 in different ways from each other.

These cities have nothing on Vancouver or Toronto though, they are the posterchildren of modernism in North America, especially Vancouver.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-28-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Chicago looks more modern than Vancouver to me(or even toronto) mainly because of the Sears/JH buildings, they look very unusual (color wise)/unique/futuristic..still after so many years. Vancouver's buildings look like arranged legos, mainly boxy condos(not a lot of variety). I guess, new does not necessarily mean modern to me.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:40 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
San Diego. Looks nice, new and clean. Definitely the best weather.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:24 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Seattle, Portland & Houston. Ok I'll give Atlanta too.
This thread is meant to be serious.

Your jokes will not be tolerated!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:20 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
We are talking Modern here, Houston lacks almost any urban neighborhood Pre-1950, for me the top of the most modern would be a city with very little old stuff, although Houston has stuff inside the loop that are old 90%( possible exaggeration) of New Houstonians aren't buying a home or moving into an apartment that was built pre 1990 or maybe even 2000. That is extremely modern to me.
But In order out of cities I have been too
1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Honolulu
4. Austin
5. Tampa
6. Miami
7. San Antonio
8. Lafayette
9. New Orleans
10. New York City
11. Philadelphia
-- Every City in New York State that are large (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany-Troy-Schenectady
(Been to Phoenix and Atlanta but only on a flight, If I had actually explored these cities they would probably be in here as well)
Probably missing a few but out of the 10 or so large cities I have visited in the U.S I would rank it like this.
I think of as modern. Layout wise I will say Phoenix, Houston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles cities with an almost grid to them.
technology (mobile/information)- All cities over 5 million peopel I feel will be the same if you mean company locations. NorCal-Pacific NW- San Fran, San Jose, Seattle and maybe Portland, Also All major cities of 5 million will be smaller hubs adding Austin in.
fashion- Austin-Portland-Seattle "Hipster Fashion", NYC- All Fashion depending on what part- Manhattan- Office/Rich People Fashion Brooklyn- Partying/ AA or "Cool"/Casual Attire, California in general especially Los Angeles- Hollywood/ Casual, Atlanta- AA fashion.
Architecture- Coolest Modern Architecture goes to NYC by far
luxury- Richest area in the U.S is Manhattan in My Opinion as in money moves but you don't see luxury like large Houses, Flashy Cars... because it is Manhattan so I will have to say LA and NYC have rich people, with Luxurious areas, but
LA seems to have the large Vehicles, but also NYC has many large Airports and for some reason Airports are one of the most modern things to me and having the luxury to have like 5 decently large airports in the same metro is luxurious in my opinion because most U.S airports just seem modern.
population diversity- This isn't really something that is modern example Tokyo although their is probably a large international district/area their.
arts/entertainment- NYC, LA, Chicago any big city in America. 5-6 million+
Transportation- NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia LA and most NE cities are pretty high on this list this is pretty obvious.
Energy- People or Energy Companies "Houston"?, NYC in the case of people
Environmental Awareness- No city int he U.S,b ut maybe NYC wins this category?

In addition, which US city/cities do you feel (predict) will dominate in each category and as a whole in 30 yrs, 50 yrs.
90% of Urban Neighborhoods in Houston are relatively new houses/ buildings or a mixture of Old and New. I will have to go with H-town but I have barely explored any of the other cities compared to h-town so I may be missing some obvious areas. Honolulu might be a close 2nd. It looks modern but they don't build as much new things out there.
30 years probably a small sunbelt metro like Austin, Birmingham, South Florida (West Coast), Lafayette, LA, Corpus Christi.
50 years, U.S birthrates would have declined so much that we would be like Japan and would have almost no need to continue sprawling outward except in a few cities. Probably a Tri-city area that would be trying to fill in the space between cities, Whatever becomes the secondary cities in Oregon and Washington. The Rockies area or Pacific Northwest in general. (Boise Idaho Spokane, WA, Sioux Falls, SD

Lastly, which city do you feel is the most modern looking/feeling in the world now, and which do you predict to be in 30 yrs, 50 yrs.
Dubai although Shanghai, Guangzhou and most Chinese cities are up there, Tokyo and a few Japanese and east Asian cities in general are close.
Lagos, Nigeria in 30 years it will be were China currently is and since it is an already dense city that is very anti sprawl it will overall mainland Lagos and Will continue developing the Area from Lagos Island, Victoria Island, and the entire Lekki Peninsula for the Uber Rich/ Upper Middle Class example: Eko Atlantic City. Maybe even a second airport at the end of Lekki Peninsula.
50 years probably an African city like Kinshasa.
I did it mostly on cities that I know or at least read heavily about so their is an obvious bias here.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 10-29-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 AM

641 posts, read 801,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
aside from NYC

i think San Diego, Seattle, LA, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta,

i haven't been to the Texas cities
For TX cities alone:

I'd say Austin. Definitely feels modern, new money, young and vibrant.
Dallas feels just a little more modern to me than Houston although I like Houston better.
San Antonio seems old.

And I agree: San Diego feels very modern to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City