Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which MLB team has the most loyal fans??
Arizona Diamondbacks 1 0.61%
Atlanta Braves 6 3.68%
Baltimore Orioles 3 1.84%
Boston Red Sox 65 39.88%
Colorado Rockies 4 2.45%
Cincinnati Reds 5 3.07%
Chicago Cubs 53 32.52%
Chicago White Sox 10 6.13%
Cleveland Indians 4 2.45%
Detroit Tigers 3 1.84%
Florida Marlins 3 1.84%
Houston Astros 5 3.07%
Milwaukee Brewers 8 4.91%
Minnesota Twins 4 2.45%
Los Angeles Dodgers 17 10.43%
New York Yankees 46 28.22%
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 7 4.29%
New York Mets 17 10.43%
Pittsburgh Pirates 4 2.45%
Philadelphia Phillies 22 13.50%
Kansas City Royals 7 4.29%
Oakland Athletics 6 3.68%
Seattle Mariners 2 1.23%
San Diego Padres 2 1.23%
San Francisco Giants 14 8.59%
Washington Nationals 3 1.84%
Toronto Blue Jays 2 1.23%
Tampa Bay Rays 2 1.23%
St. Louis Cardinals 18 11.04%
Texas Rangers 3 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times

Advertisements

Cleveland Indians.
I think there are still 2 fans left.
They are the most diehard.
John the drummer and his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Kansas City Royals. One of the smallest markets in Baseball and THE WORST team. The Royals have not even been competitive since winning the world series in 1985. They were great in the late 70's and early 80's, but we are talking about 25 YEARS since that team has done anything at all to gain an ounce of respect. I mean they have last year's cy young pitcher still throwing near no-hitters and still losing the games because he plays for such a bad team. Bad bad bad team for a long long long time. I don't even know if Boston could sustain the fan support the Royals get after 25 years of horrible baseball. When the Royals even so much as put a winning streak together, they start selling out the stadium, yet you have teams like Tampa who still can't draw people after winning a world series and remaining highly competitive. If KC had a competitive team, they would sell out much of the season.

I see a lot of opening day games around the country, many don't sell out or are full of no-shows or the opposing team's fans. Opening day in KC is a big deal and it's 100% Royals fans and it's a very difficult ticket to get even though everybody knows the team sucks and has sucked for 25 years.

Yet you still see a fair amount of Royals fans at parks across the country. I'm one of them .

Yankees? WTF????? 200 million dollar payroll and market of 25 million people (plus millions more bandwagoners). Yea right. They should be able to sell out a 200,000 seat stadium if you really drill down and compare apples to apples.

I will base this on how competitive or uncompetitive the team is over the past 15-20 years and how large the market is.

1 St Louis Cardinals.
2 Milwaukee Brewers
3 Kansas City Royals
4 Boston Red Sox
5 Chicago Cubs

Last edited by kcmo; 05-10-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM

404 posts, read 595,620 times
The Rays never won a World Series kcmo.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Minnesota Twins of course!!!!!!!!!!!!

We would sell out games when the biggest named player was Ron Coomer and our home stadium was the crappiest ever, the Metordome

Old 05-10-2010, 04:55 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
Yankee fans face absolutely no adversity. Isn't it easy to be a loyal, die-hard for a team that wins the world series every four years? Not to mention, a team that buys its victories...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
A lot of places don't have many die-hard fans either due to another sport being more of the focus and/or a place has large numbers of transplants. It is why sunbelt teams tend to have less support.

The teams in no order I can think of are Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Phillies. The Cardinals can act as a much larger market team has to do with a large regional fanbase outside if its own metro area and including other cities.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
A lot of places don't have many die-hard fans either due to another sport being more of the focus and/or a place has large numbers of transplants. It is why sunbelt teams tend to have less support.

The teams in no order I can think of are Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Phillies. The Cardinals can act as a much larger market team has to do with a large regional fanbase outside if its own metro area and including other cities.

The Minnesota Twins have sold out this entire season. And it's May.

Anyway, I think it's weird to too see a lot of places not having fans. I watched a Braves game on TBS the other day and it looked like a ghost town. You're telling me in Atlanta, a Metro of 5+ Million can't put 30,000 into a baseball stadium?!? Even Yankee and Met games are empty half the time with the biggest metro and city in the USA right there. San Diego, Houston, Seattle, Oakland, Florida, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Washington are always empty. I don't get it. I know they are all pretty lousy teams, and it's only May, but come on.. You're telling me 2-6 million people metros can't put more than 30,000 into a stadium?

People in "Hamton Roads" or Raleigh or Portland, or whichever city people beg for MLB, this is why you'll never see a team. Toronto, a ginormous city can't fill a stadium. That's BS, regardless of how bad the team is. MLB baseball is the best in the world and it should be seen, and out of that many people you'd think it wouldn't be a problem.

On the same hand, live sports are becoming a rich man's hobby, like golf. I remember being 16 yrs old. Driving to Twins games to the Dome, 20 minutes away. Parking and gas split among 4 dudes = $3, School ID night half off tickets so my $8 home run porch ticket became $4. And that was a wednesday, which was Dollar Dog night x 2 = $2. So for less than $20 you could enjoy yourself to a game, watching a team in the league's crappiest stadium win one of it's 5 al central titles in the 2000s.

Now, that's pretty much impossible to do. Actually, I'd be impressed if anyone can buy a ticket for less than $20.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times
I have been gone from Illinois for 20 yrs now, but for me, there will never be another team that I adore like the CHICAGO CUBS. I think Cub fans hang in there thru thick & thin!!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Cubs fans (like my family) are hillarious -- they have absolutely no faith in their team but root for them unconditionally, but so pessimistic!!

I don't know how the Yankees can ever sell out their stadium considering the prices they charge to see a ballgame! How is the average Yankees fan supposed to come see their team play when tickets are a grand a pop?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
With the Cubs and Yankees ticket prices and payrolls, I think you have to be a die hard fan to support them since for what it cost to go to a game and what they pay their players, fans don't get much in return. The Yankees "should" win the series every year and the Cubs should at least make the playoffs every year.

Now tell me again how a city of only 2 million (Kansas City) can average 20k a game for a team that has been absolutely horrible for 25 years?

Minneapolis is a great baseball town, it's about time they got a real baseball stadium. I wonder if the Marlins will sell out their inaugural season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City