Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 04:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about if you think that most of Queens (over 100 square miles) looks like those industrial photos.
I know better. I just think that overall, Queens looks dumpy with the exception of Forest Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
In the Hudson valley, it not only includes Rockland and Westchester but Putnam & Orange as well. Even parts of mostly rural Dutchess and Ulster counties.

Well, you and I are in the minority of people from LI! Most people I know think "upstate" starts where the Bronx ends

Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
He usually doesn't know what he's talking about. I honestly don't think he's ever been to Queens if he thinks it looks like those pictures.
Queens has nice areas (woodside, bayside etc.) and bad areas (jamaica, jackson heights etc.)

Personally, my favorite suburbs of NYC are Jersey City, Englewood Cliffs, Nyack and Tarrytown

Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I know better. I just think that overall, Queens looks dumpy with the exception of Forest Hills.
Sorry, after reading some of your comments a few pages back I really don't think you do. If you think most of Queens looks the Lefrak City area along the LIE, then you do not know Queens. Do you think Bayside or Douglaston look dumpy for instance?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
^I've never been to those areas of Queens. What I did see did absolutely nothing for me at all, with the exception of Forest Hills - which I loved.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Yep, dumpy alright...

what most residential areas of Queens looks like:

Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Queens has nice areas (woodside, bayside etc.) and bad areas (jamaica, jackson heights etc.)

Personally, my favorite suburbs of NYC are Jersey City, Englewood Cliffs, Nyack and Tarrytown
And parts of Jamaica (Jamaica Estates, Jamaica Hills, Briarwood, Hillcrest, and Hollis Hills etc) are not too shappy either! Plus downtown Jamaica is undergoing a renaissance although I admit it still has a long ways to go.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:45 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
And parts of Jamaica (Jamaica Estates, Jamaica Hills, Briarwood, Hillcrest, and Hollis Hills etc) are not too shappy either! Plus downtown Jamaica is undergoing a renaissance although I admit it still has a long ways to go.
Jamaica must be gentrifying some

Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 PM

Default Downtown Jamaica is starting to look like a decent sized city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Jamaica must be gentrifying some
The new monorail to JFK airport was just finished a few years ago. It connects the airport to the Long Island RR station in downtown Jamaica as well as subway lines to Brooklyn, Midtown and Downtown Manhattan. Not suprisingly there are office buildings going up, especially along Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Avenue. Jamaica is actually getting a skyline and the city is already planning further rezoning!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM

South Jamaica is the area that needs improvement. I wouldn't say it's as bad as ENY, Brownsville, south Bronx, but it's still run down. I babysat for a girl who went to school in south Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City