U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 AM

31,629 posts, read 71,957,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Is Stroudsburg that bad? I know people from NYC/Long island who have moved there. I've been all over PA many times for hockey, but I never remember the specific towns I've been to. I'm sure I've been there, just don't remember.
Stroudsburg, and most of Monroe County for that matter, has just really done a poor job in keeping pace with the transplant growth. Many two-lane roads become congested (Route 209 through Marshall's Creek is especially heinous), even with the formation of a regional police force to receive more state funding crime remains a growing issue (especially in a certain "gated" community), school overcrowding was so commonplace in the 1990s that many students had classes in trailers, and much of the "allure" that once brought people to Monroe County, making the Poconos one of the world's honeymoon capitals, is gradually fading away into suburban obscurity. Before long Monroe County will be more heavily-populated than nearby Lackawanna County (Scranton).

For a slightly higher cost-of-living I'd rather move to a historic part of Easton, like househuntinginPA did, and be near to both NJ/NYC and more amenities. If and when Scranton gets its high-speed rail link into the city I predict that more people from NYC/NJ may consider a move into Lackawanna County, PA as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 AM

7,758 posts, read 11,316,978 times
Red face Route 209 to Bushkill Falls!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Stroudsburg, and most of Monroe County for that matter, has just really done a poor job in keeping pace with the transplant growth. Many two-lane roads become congested (Route 209 through Marshall's Creek is especially heinous), even with the formation of a regional police force to receive more state funding crime remains a growing issue (especially in a certain "gated" community), school overcrowding was so commonplace in the 1990s that many students had classes in trailers, and much of the "allure" that once brought people to Monroe County, making the Poconos one of the world's honeymoon capitals, is gradually fading away into suburban obscurity. Before long Monroe County will be more heavily-populated than nearby Lackawanna County (Scranton).

For a slightly higher cost-of-living I'd rather move to a historic part of Easton, like househuntinginPA did, and be near to both NJ/NYC and more amenities. If and when Scranton gets its high-speed rail link into the city I predict that more people from NYC/NJ may consider a move into Lackawanna County, PA as well.
Lol, I agree 209 can be a nightmare coming north from Stroudsburg! Never, never, never again will I try to get to Bushkill from that area! I would rather take the back roads across New Jersey or 209 south from Port Jervis/Matamoras or Milford - actually quite scenic and beautiful.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Also I agree with you about Easton and the Lehigh Valley area in general. Not only are you convienent to NYC/NJ as you mentioned, you are closer to the Philadelphia area as well. Better roads too than NE PA (at least the Poconos) as you mentioned. Looks to me like the Lehigh Valley is going to be coming back as the sweet spot for the growing metro area.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM

893 posts, read 2,680,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Also I agree with you about Easton and the Lehigh Valley area in general. Not only are you convienent to NYC/NJ as you mentioned, you are closer to the Philadelphia area as well. Better roads too than NE PA (at least the Poconos) as you mentioned. Looks to me like the Lehigh Valley is going to be coming back as the sweet spot for the growing metro area.
As I said before my mom and her husband commute DAILY from the Allentown area. I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I don't know why they jumped to PA when they could probably found something in the far end of Suffolk that's closer. But there renting a 3 bedroom 3 bath townhouse for 1300.

But I think for this thread we should also include towns like I did with Rockville Centre. I just wish LI had more towns with greenery but still in civilization.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
As I said before my mom and her husband commute DAILY from the Allentown area. I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I don't know why they jumped to PA when they could probably found something in the far end of Suffolk that's closer. But there renting a 3 bedroom 3 bath townhouse for 1300.

But I think for this thread we should also include towns like I did with Rockville Centre. I just wish LI had more towns with greenery but still in civilization.
Sorry, I missed what you said about Allentown. As for the VILLAGE of Rockville Centre, its "downtown" area is one of a few really urban areas in Nassau (at least by high denstiy NYC standards most of Nassau is suburban). I agree with you, but the OP said "city" so I am not sure if he wants to include alot of nice suburban areas in Nassau, Suffolk, Bergen, Westchester, Fairfield, Somerset or Morris counties etc.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,073,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sorry, I missed what you said about Allentown. As for the VILLAGE of Rockville Centre, its "downtown" area is one of a few really urban areas in Nassau (at least by high denstiy NYC standards most of Nassau is suburban). I agree with you, but the OP said "city" so I am not sure if he wants to include alot of nice suburban areas in Nassau, Suffolk, Bergen, Westchester, Fairfield, Somerset or Morris counties etc.
I would say anything, any town or city otherwise we may just chose between Philly, Newark and Jersey City as those are the only CITIES not towns in the area.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,154,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Mark my words. Someday Scranton will be the next Hoboken! If we're lucky maybe Stroudsburg will become the next Newark!
would you please stop talking about scranton in every single thread that you go into.

noone cares to hear about it

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 PM

44 posts, read 184,317 times
What about Connecticut? It is part of the tri-state area!!! Hartford anyone? no not me

Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
would you please stop talking about scranton in every single thread that you go into.

noone cares to hear about it
Scranton is on the cusp of the NYC MSA, and it is starting to reinvent itself as a satellite city. Stop trying to pretend we don't exist. You now live in the Quad-State Area, as Pike County, PA is now part of your MSA (with Monroe County, PA likely to be added soon), so I laugh when people say "Tri-State Area" simply because they hate Pennsylvania. If you don't want us to be included as "Greater NYC," then stop moving here by the thousands annually!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNetsFan5152433 View Post
What about Connecticut? It is part of the tri-state area!!! Hartford anyone? no not me
Once again, that would be Quad-State Area. Pennsylvania exists too! Thousands of people now commute from NEPA into NJ/NYC daily for work, and we are heavily dependent upon NYC for professional sports, concerts, culture, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City