U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:26 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,533,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Scranton is on the cusp of the NYC MSA, and it is starting to reinvent itself as a satellite city. Stop trying to pretend we don't exist. You now live in the Quad-State Area, as Pike County, PA is now part of your MSA (with Monroe County, PA likely to be added soon), so I laugh when people say "Tri-State Area" simply because they hate Pennsylvania. If you don't want us to be included as "Greater NYC," then stop moving here by the thousands annually!
You sound desperate to join the party.................. And I don't know why.
I'm North Jersey through & through, but I'm envious you have a chance to gain all of the benefits of a shrinking North East (and more specifically, the Philly to NYC area) with out the cultural negatives.
Take the economic boost, stay low key & nurture your own culture & customs.
Being a "satellite city" of NYC is not all it's cracked up to be.
Take the money, not the fame.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM

19,758 posts, read 26,645,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Scranton is on the cusp of the NYC MSA, and it is starting to reinvent itself as a satellite city. Stop trying to pretend we don't exist. You now live in the Quad-State Area, as Pike County, PA is now part of your MSA (with Monroe County, PA likely to be added soon), so I laugh when people say "Tri-State Area" simply because they hate Pennsylvania. If you don't want us to be included as "Greater NYC," then stop moving here by the thousands annually!
You laugh when people say "tri-state area?" Why? It's been this way for many years, and is likely to not change. New Yorkers are also moving to Maryland, Delaware, Rhode Island, North Carolina, etc. by the thousands.

I don't know why you're so obsessed with PA joining the metro. Hardly anyone considers NEPA part of greater NYC.

I would also like to see stats of "thousands" of commuters into Manhattan from NEPA.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM

6,852 posts, read 17,641,536 times
Ok ok ok. Let's entertain it. How many cities are there in Pike County, PA? None? Ok. Moving on...

Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 AM

6,852 posts, read 17,641,536 times
As a poster above said, there aren't many people "getting excited" about cities in the region outside NYC. It's hard to find a city that really "competes" for any attention when the largest contender is 1/33 the size of NYC.

Anyway there are some good little cities out there. Jersey City and Hoboken are just fine for what they are... little cities. Same for White Plains. I've never been into New Rochelle, but from the train it looks like an interesting place. New Haven is a fun little city too.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,382,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol Newark???

I'd choose Yonkers. This thread should say towns and cities, not just cities. You rule out like 90% of the NY metro area. My favorite towns would be Levittown and Smithtown
You're ignorant... IMO

So what if someone likes Newark, it's nothing to be in awe about. why is it when someone who actually looks beyond the stereotypes and crime you think it's funny and bizarre.

Newark has A LOT to offer, it is one of the countries oldest cities with so much history. It has a major college, a major airport, it has the biggest shipment port in the country, it has tons of jobs for people of all classes, and it's diverse.

"LOL NEWARK???"(in quote of you)
It's like you look down upon it like it's crap.. get a clue.

But to get back on point.. Jersey City and Montclair, NJ are my favorite.. but when it comes to the most important, it's my home of Newark.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 04-14-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM

6,966 posts, read 19,262,837 times
New Haven, CT anyone?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
New Haven, CT anyone?

New Haven is the Newark of CT.. New Haven is a great city.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM

6,966 posts, read 19,262,837 times
^^ yup, there's even a historical link between the 2. from wikipedia:

Quote:
Newark was founded in 1666 by Connecticut Puritans led by Robert Treat from the New Haven Colony. The New Haven colonists had been forced out of power for sheltering the judges who had fled to the New Haven Colony after sentencing Charles I of England to death.[

Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 PM

30,792 posts, read 29,714,376 times
Newark for what it is, was, and will be.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Newark for what it is, was, and will be.
Elaborate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City