Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 PM

888 posts, read 889,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
In the traditional sense, Latin refers to anyone of Spanish, Portuguese, French, or Italian origin or culture.

In the sense the term "Latin(o)" is used by the US Census Bureau, it means anyone of Spanish or Portuguese origin or culture. This includes many North Americans, almost all South Americans, and some Europeans. Keep in mind that this has nothing to do with race and includes not only people of non-mixed European origin, but also people of African, Amerindian, and Asian/Indian origin who grew up in a Latin country.

Picture this: Two people move to the US from Italy and have a child. In the tradition sense, this child is Latin, but he is not considered "Latin(o)" by the US Census.

Now picture this: Those same two Italians move to Argentina, Venezuela, or Brazil and have their baby. If that child grows up to study/work in the US, he will be considered "Latin(o)".

We could replace the two Italian immigrants with immigrants from India, China, Norway, or Egypt and still get the same results in both of the examples I gave. I went to college with an Indian (as in parents were from India)-Mexican, a Korean-Paraguayan, an Afro-Brazilian, and an Irish-Puerto Rican.... every single one of them is "Latin(o)" in this country. So are the loads of pale-skinned, light-eyed, Euro-Latins living in South Florida, Manhattan, Boston, and San Antonio.

Hope that helped!
This is so true, and it really annoys me.
My family is Italian, I have dual-citizenship, but I was born in the States.
I am considered white, even though I have tan/light brown skin. My father's brother emigrated to Argentina, he had a son, and they moved to Miami after the 2000 crisis. We helped them get here. They are now permanent residents, and they are considered Hispanic. My cousin is now eligible for minority-based financial aid for which I was never eligible, because I am considered white. And he is whiter than I am. Not only that, all Japanese Brazilian citizens with Dual-Japanese/Brazilian citizens that live in Miami are also considered Latino - and they speak Portuguese. Not to mention my tan neighbors from Spain, who are very similar to Italians, but their names allow them to be considered Hispanic.

Italians really get the shaft here, because Argentines mostly descended from Italy, so they are very similar to me, but they are called Latino.

The US Government really messed this one up. Whoever approved the definition of Hispanic or Latino obviously was ignorant about the complexity of South American and Euro-Latin cultures.

Maybe one day, they will modify the law in order to be more equitable.
As it stands today, it's extremely unfair and discriminatory towards Italians.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Interactive Map: Where Latinos Live - Pew Hispanic Center
http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/96.pdf

The first source indicates most of the Dakotas and Montana seem to not be experiencing much growth in the Hispanic population. Also that most of Vermont and West Virginia are experiencing little growth in Hispanic population. Although Jefferson County, West Virginia is a notable exception.

The pdf lists several counties in Northern New Mexico as having a decline in Hispanic population. The top ten counties they list as having a decline in Hispanics are as followed.

New York County, New York
Orleans Parish, Louisiana (Likely Katrina related so may no longer be true)
Arlington County, Virginia
San Francisco County, California
Cumberland County, North Carolina
St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana (See Orleans)
San Miguel County, New Mexico
Muscogee County, Georgia
Alexandria, Virginia

Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,579,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLover View Post
From South Florida up to Maine across to North Dakota is seems like everything is becoming latino. is this not occuring anywhhere?
So what? Compete.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,040,008 times
to me, Albuquerque dosent seem to be booming with latinos, we do have a section of town that is almost all Mexican but I think they are flooding other major cities and small rural communities moreso than here.

Why would they wanna leave Mexico to come to a poor New Mexico

Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,247,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The pdf lists several counties in Northern New Mexico as having a decline in Hispanic population. The top ten counties they list as having a decline in Hispanics are as followed.

New York County, New York
Orleans Parish, Louisiana (Likely Katrina related so may no longer be true)
Arlington County, Virginia
San Francisco County, California
Cumberland County, North Carolina
St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana (See Orleans)
San Miguel County, New Mexico
Muscogee County, Georgia
Alexandria, Virginia
San Francisco has not lost hispanic population.

SF hispanic population:
1980: 84,194 (12.4%)
1990: 100,717 (13.9%)
2000: 109,504 (14.1%)
2008: 114,066 (14.1%)

what decline?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,408,731 times
Unfortunately this thread has negative stereotypes that makes latinos [Rican in my case] uncomfortable and angry. California has some of the world's wealthiest people among a huge hispanic population going back to the 1770's. The issue is poor people. Some on this discuss seem to hate poor people

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
San Francisco has not lost hispanic population.

SF hispanic population:
1980: 84,194 (12.4%)
1990: 100,717 (13.9%)
2000: 109,504 (14.1%)
2008: 114,066 (14.1%)

what decline?
I was just repeating what the source said. I would say it still might fit as one where the Hispanic population is more stable than anything. (There is growth, but not in percentage terms it's apparently stayed the same since 2000)

Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,358,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
We are taking over the world.

Isn't that great? Maybe soon once that happens the rest of the world will resemble Mexico....or maybe Guatemala!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City