Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

306 posts, read 475,851 times

Advertisements

How would you group cities together? Are there different kinds of cities? All the same? All much to individual to categorize?

Example:

NYC
LA - Da Big Tree
Chicago

Miami
New Orleans
Houston - Hot n Heavy
Phoenix
San Antonio

Detroit - Industrial Wastelands
Indianapolis

Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Portland - Progressive Meccas
Seattle
San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
I'll make this one very simple. ALL big cities SUCK big time. Give me a tiny little town out in the boonies, Gossip, Gomers, Goobers and all. In a big city when a crime happens the most that happens is that a cop will write a report. In a tiny town if anyone fuks up, the whole darn town knows about it all and who the *** did it.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I'll make this one very simple. ALL big cities SUCK big time. Give me a tiny little town out in the boonies, Gossip, Gomers, Goobers and all. In a big city when a crime happens the most that happens is that a cop will write a report. In a tiny town if anyone fuks up, the whole darn town knows about it all and who the *** did it.
You tell them man.

Cities are too hard to group into lumps. Like "Industrial wastelands". Have you been to the cities you call, "Industrial Wastelands"? Would you consider Pittsburgh an "Industrial Wasteland"?

Are we grouping by architecture, main sources of employment, topography, geography, weather, history, or size?

Even Rust belt cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh would be grouped together, but I actually consider these two cities very different. San Francisco with Milwaukee?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM

463 posts, read 1,564,901 times
I would actually group cities by the time in which they had their major population growth and economic heyday. Therefore I would choose these three categories:

Pre-1850:
Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Savannah GA, etc

1850-1950:
Chicago, Cleaveland, Minneapolis, St. Louis., etc

post-1950:
Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc

Before anyone says I know most of these cities were founded before the years of their category, but it was in these year ranges that they grew and were proportionally the most important.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post

Detroit - Industrial Wastelands
Indianapolis

Milwaukee
Minneapolis
I have heard people call Indianapolis a lot of deragatory and baseless things; but industrail wasteland?? Are you kidding me? Indianapolis has to be the least industrial city east of the Rockies.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indianapolis has to be the least industrial city east of the Rockies.
Incredibly bold claim.

how about DC? Charleston? Miami?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Incredibly bold claim.

how about DC? Charleston? Miami?
Is it bold?

My point is that Indianapolis is not an industrial city. There are a lot of heavily industrial cities in the midwest, but Indianapolis isn't one of them.

EDIT: I see where the confusion is. My origianl post should say "one of the least." I should stop trying to multi-task while on the phone at work. Indianapolis is one of the least industrial big cities east of the Rockies, I stand by that 100%.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I agree that "Industrial Wastelands" is not a valid category, and seems designed to start arguments.

In general I think you could categorize major cities in any kind of way. In your "progressive meccas," for example, a lot of people would also throw in Austin and Denver (they frequently are put in the same category with Minneapolis, Portland, etc.). I have lived in both San Francisco and in Minneapolis, and I can tell you that in some ways there are many close comparisons, while in other ways they are vastly different. I'd be ok with leaving that category the way you have it, but you could just as equally carve things up in a very different way (demographic, geography of the city, relationship to larger region or metro area, etc.)

I'd add DC to the major city list. DC, LA, NY (and to some extend Chicago) all have a major economic, political, and cultural influence on the rest of the country, and that puts them in a separate class.

Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore need to go somewhere - big mid-Atlantic and East Coast cities that aren't NYC or DC?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
Quote:
Is it bold?

My point is that Indianapolis is not an industrial city. There are a lot of heavily industrial cities in the midwest, but Indianapolis isn't one of them.

EDIT: I see where the confusion is. My origianl post should say "one of the least." I should stop trying to multi-task while on the phone at work. Indianapolis is one of the least industrial big cities east of the Rockies, I stand by that 100%.

As a Fellow Hoosier and resident of the Indianapolis area I stand by what you said 100%

Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Is it bold?

Don't worry about it...those of us who have experienced Indianapolis know the truth. It's a beautiful city with a lot to offer - Monument Circle by itself is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City