Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times

Advertisements

Miamian in nc,

Yes, as others have said you really owe it to yourself to come out and see what ABQ is all about.

I've visited San Antonio and liked it, but couldn't comment on what it is like to live there. However, having chosen to migrate here to ABQ from Phoenix/Scottsdale (and New York), I can address your question on how it compares.

Phoenix is a vast, sprawling metropolis. Yes, it can be very pretty in parts (Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills) and it does have an awesome, sunny mild climate for 8 months of the year.

But it has grown too huge, too out of bounds-- encroaching on the desert and mountains in all directions. Traffic snarls are becoming frequent, the city has a serious air quality problem, and the summers are scaldingly hot, so much so that you can't wait for them to finish before they've barely begun.( And I like heat!). It escapes me the reasons for its huge growth and popularity.

ABQ may initially disappoint physically in some of its central parts. It's not a shiny penny and can seem quirky at times. But I find it a real appealing city with lots of underrated virtues.
It boasts the very best kind of 4 season climate, not too cold in the winter, and not too hot in the summer. (But with hot and cold snaps that can pull you up for a few days). But it's sunny most of the time, almost as much as Arizona. And it's dry and very easy to take.

Its air quality ranks as one of the best in the country for metropolitan areas. It is surrounded by some awesome scenery (including the Sandias) , all making a strong claim on exploring. And the landscapes just outside of the city are mostly empty.

The city has a much more interesting history than Phoenix and certainly has a lot more local color and flavor. And Santa Fe with all its multi attractions is a hop, skip, and jump away.

Traffic is still manageable here. The city is laid back, tolerant, and friendly. And if we get the right kind of planning it has the possibility of much smarter growth in the future than Phoenix. At least that's my feeling.

Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City