Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 PM

53 posts, read 133,318 times

Advertisements

I'm from Boston and I always thought I wanted to live in NYC. Problem is I don't really think I jive well with the super-yuppies, ultra-hipsters and A-types, even though I enjoy living in an Urban setting and not having to drive to absolutely everything I do. I'm not big into hardcore consumer culture so I feel like I'd be out of place in NYC.

How does SF compare to this? I know it is an expensive city but are there low-key areas?

I assume Portland and Seattle are much more low-key and might be toward my liking if I want to leave Boston. True?

I should also mention I am a electrical engineer and general geek so which city is best for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
New York City is massive, people of literally every background can be found there.

It would be the best city out of those for you.

San Francisco is a great city, natural scenery + urban setting = nearly hard to beat. Diversity, large amenities, & multiple options. Try some of the areas near East Bay.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:

I'm from Boston and I always thought I wanted to live in NYC. Problem is I don't really think I jive well with the super-yuppies, ultra-hipsters and A-types, even though I enjoy living in an Urban setting and not having to drive to absolutely everything I do. I'm not big into hardcore consumer culture so I feel like I'd be out of place in NYC.
you have a very narrow view of NYC

Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
nyc is more than the rich areas of manhattan.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
nyc is more than the rich areas of manhattan.
exactly!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
*facepalm*

please don't come to ny with that mindset.
please take the time to learn more about ny and nyers before bringing that narrow vision of what and who we are.

i'd say that the ppl that think like the OP that come here end up perpetuating the stereotype that has ppl on CD believing that all of us are like that.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
*facepalm*

please don't come to ny with that mindset.
please take the time to learn more about ny and nyers before bringing that narrow vision of what and who we are.

i'd say that the ppl that think like the OP that come here end up perpetuating the stereotype that has ppl on CD believing that all of us are like that.
Yeah you can find the same crowd in DC/SF/Chicago/Boston/etc quite easily... NYC is just much bigger, so it has more of "those types" definitely, but it also has more of "every other type"...There are plenty of neighborhoods in SF or Chicago I would not want to live in just b/c of similar reasons as your post... It is certainly not an NYC phenomena

any successful city with lots of money is going to have this crowd. OP when you are looking at big cities you really have to look down to the neighborhood levels, there are over 200K people just on the upper east side. There are over 100k people in Harlem, there are over 100k people in Chinatown and on down the line. These are definitely different types of demographics, and that is just in Manhattan, there are 4 other boroughs, with Brooklyn and Queens both having even more in population.
Whatever type of urban setting you are looking for, I'm sure you can find it there. You might have to do some research, but it can be done.

Are you actually living IN Boston? Or in the burbs somewhere, b/c Boston has different hoods like that as well.

Last edited by grapico; 08-05-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox68 View Post
Try considering one of the outer neighborhoods of Brooklyn or Queens. I spent a weekend in Bay Ridge recently, and felt right at home. I'm a lifelong Bostonian btw.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 101,788 times
Quite honestly, i'd rather live in NYC over San Francisco or Boston.

Portland can't match those cities, so its completely out of the question.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox68 View Post

How does SF compare to this? I know it is an expensive city but are there low-key areas?

I assume Portland and Seattle are much more low-key and might be toward my liking if I want to leave Boston. True?

I should also mention I am a electrical engineer and general geek so which city is best for that?
New York City, Seattle, & San Francisco will have a strong market for your field of work. New York City & San Francisco having the best of it to be exact.

New York City might have yuppies, but they aren't in the entire city, they probably don't even compromise more than 2% of the total population, with a city as diverse and cosmopolitan as New York City you wont have a problem with people much.

If I were to pick between all cities mentioned on terms of living it would go in this order: (with employment base in mind when making decision)

New York City = San Francisco > Seattle > Portland > Boston

For cities that I would prefer living in with a comfortable atmosphere if employment opportunities were taken out:

New York City (Manhattan) = San Francisco = Seattle > Portland >>> Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City