U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the best barbecue
Texas 54 28.57%
Memphis 45 23.81%
Kansas City 22 11.64%
The Carolinas 27 14.29%
The rest of Tennessee 18 9.52%
Georgia 7 3.70%
Mississippi 6 3.17%
Louisiana 4 2.12%
Other 6 3.17%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,501,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
She has no idea what she's talking about. She voted for KC because it's Midwestern and not Southern. That's all. That's the only reason.

But, I will admit to being a bit surprised at the lop-sided results of this poll. Texas is killing it here. By the way, for the guy that asked, Memphis is known for their pulled pork, not brisket. Annnnnd, May is coming up soon. I think it might be time for a road trip to Memphis for "Memphis in May" to check out the BBQ Fest. My stomach's growling just thinking about it. Imagine, acres and acres of some of the best barbecue the world has to offer, all in one place... and plenty of booze too.
Exactly...her only reason for posting on this thread was to troll. First she tries to diminish Texas then she votes for the only non-southern state on here just to get a reaction. Don't bother with her. She has no more room to deny the fact that she likes to stir things up. Nobody was talking about her or the north on this thread but she still felt the need to troll here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM

3,506 posts, read 9,912,009 times
OK, just so I'm clear on the voting so far:

Texas is the only state where BBQ is beef brisket as the standard. Everyone else on the list is pork (either Boston Butt, shoulder, or whole-hog). It seems like a majority prefer the beef over the pork.

Of those where pork is the standard, the Carolinas have a slight edge over Memphis, although there's no clear winner between NC and SC.

I guess no one prefers the BBQ Mutton from Kentucky.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,938,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
OK, just so I'm clear on the voting so far:

Texas is the only state where BBQ is beef brisket as the standard. Everyone else on the list is pork (either Boston Butt, shoulder, or whole-hog). It seems like a majority prefer the beef over the pork.

Of those where pork is the standard, the Carolinas have a slight edge over Memphis, although there's no clear winner between NC and SC.

I guess no one prefers the BBQ Mutton from Kentucky.
The BBQ mutton is a Western KY thing, for most of us it's still pork

http://www.shackinthebackbbq.com/

http://firefreshbbq.com/

http://www.marksfeedstore.com/

Last edited by missymomof3; 04-21-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 49,949 times
Ok so i voted and i had to chose the Carolinas, mainly since it is the only type of BBQ i eat, since i live in Lexington, NC.

The only thing i have to say about the Carolinas poll is that it is way to broad. In North Carolina alone there are 2 differant styles of BBQ, Lexington, and Eastern. Also there is probably another kind of BBQ in SC. So it really makes it hard to figure out what kind of BBQ you are talknig about when you generalize it as Carolinas. Just my two cents.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,201,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I voted for TX BBQ, there are a few places here in ABQ with really good BBQ owned by Texans.

A couple weeks ago I ate at a BBQ place in Durango,CO that was owned by TX transplants and was very disapointing, the sauce was vinegar based and tasted like it had orange in it and the brisket was dry and they served the food with a side of cherry chipotle relish and some orange type jalapeno salsa or something like that.
If I lived in NM, I wouldn't even worry about barbecue. I'd be too busy eating green chili burgers from bob's or Blake lotaburger, or having huevos rancheros with "red", and sopas, all the time. That's all I'd eat out there. Little Anita's. As it is I have to settle for Garduno's in Vegas because I don't get out to New Mexico anymore. New Mexican food (chili) is phenomenal.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM

3,506 posts, read 9,912,009 times
Maybe sometime we could have a follow-up poll for the best BBQ sides - i.e. who has the best Brunswick Stew, Hushpuppies, Slaw, Beans, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,938,614 times
oooh I forgot my favorite BBQ place here : Bootleg Barbeque

Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,501,661 times
True, I should have distinguised North and South Carolina. I wish I could go back and change it. I'm kind of surprised at the results though.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,220,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ The best BBQ I've had in the Carolina's was in Columbia, though I will admit my travels were limited to Clemson, Columbia and Charleston. As was mentioned before, the sauce in South Carolina is specialized in Honey Mustard, which is absolutely amazing. I haven't had the opportunity to eat any BBQ in TX, KC or Memphis, but I'd love to give it a shot. In my travels, I'd say Carolina puts a whoopin on GA when it comes to the BBQ I've tasted (though as I said before, I'm no BBQ expert). I've never seen any slaw on a sandwich in Carolina...Maybe it's a North Carolina thing...
Do you know if they have any places that serve mustard BBQ in the Greenville,SC area? When I pass through I'll try some out because I never had it before (I bet it's good though).

Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,220,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Maybe sometime we could have a follow-up poll for the best BBQ sides - i.e. who has the best Brunswick Stew, Hushpuppies, Slaw, Beans, etc.
Georgia would win in the Brunswick stew category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City