U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 PM
 
2,757 posts, read 5,287,762 times
Reputation: 1121

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I recently turned Northern...All that soulja boy style music is gay, plus that fake a** gucci mane music is gay too. Southern music has no purpose to it!!!!
The Soulja Boys and Gucci Manes of the world, while not that good, does have an audience that rolls with them. The parallels between early hip-hop and some Southern stuff today has been mentioned but I do see the problem here, too many D Boys. D Boys rapping (or trying to) is bad for the art because you know they're bad at what they do; can't focus on both because that's only half the effort (a real d boy wouldn't even pursue a rapping career because he's already making huge money). I just look forward to the day when the mainstream artist can be human again.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,035 posts, read 30,782,805 times
Reputation: 11399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I recently turned Northern...All that soulja boy style music is gay, plus that fake a** gucci mane music is gay too. Southern music has no purpose to it!!!!
Soulja boy is from Chicago and like Scott Summers said, Gucci Mane does reach an audience. It's the people riding around in a car. It's something for people to get rowdy before hitting a party or a club. He sucks but you don't listen to him for lyrical ability.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,653 posts, read 5,638,570 times
Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Soulja boy is from Chicago and like Scott Summers said, Gucci Mane does reach an audience. It's the people riding around in a car. It's something for people to get rowdy before hitting a party or a club. He sucks but you don't listen to him for lyrical ability.
Oh, okay................. That makes it acceptable
He & his fans are excused for promoting admittedly substandard music.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,966 posts, read 19,565,746 times
Reputation: 2714
Talking some dope west coast


YouTube - NorthStar 'Ballin'



Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-25-2009, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,035 posts, read 30,782,805 times
Reputation: 11399
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Oh, okay................. That makes it acceptable
He & his fans are excused for promoting admittedly substandard music.
I didn't say it was ok. I just basically gave out a reason on why these certain rappers are popular in the public. When you are riding in a car, nobody wants to hear lyrics, they want to hear the production and the beats. This is why the South was heavy on bass, snares, and horns in their music compared to other areas. On the flip side, nobody listens to those clowns on their Ipod on subways or in their rooms. I know I don't. I have Elzhi and Cunninlynguists blasing all the time. But when I'm in a car, I understand why people listen to the Gucci's no matter how terrible he is.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Twilight zone
3,630 posts, read 7,826,324 times
Reputation: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Soulja boy is from Chicago and like Scott Summers said, Gucci Mane does reach an audience. It's the people riding around in a car. It's something for people to get rowdy before hitting a party or a club. He sucks but you don't listen to him for lyrical ability.
solja boy left chicago when he was 5 so he doesnt rep it. Ludacris however left when he was 15-16 but he doesn't rep chicago like that because he was discovered in ATL
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:18 PM
 
14,260 posts, read 25,133,812 times
Reputation: 4499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never want to come out and say it but you're pretty much right. It mostly came from Deathrow. The record companies knew which songs to market and that was it. When I look back at the music and listen to it, I wonder what the world we was listening to. Degrading women, bragging about guns and the social ills of our communities. We went from self destruction to nuthin but a g thang in as little as 4 years. This was a HUGE discussion on allhiphop.com a few years ago.
See but that's the problem. All the northern hip-hop heads scoffed ther noses down at the westcoast for that, YET when people like biggie, and onyx, and mobb deep came out the eastcoast followed suit, and began rapping about the same thing. Now they got bloods and crips in NYC now.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Irvine,Oc,Ca
1,423 posts, read 4,489,891 times
Reputation: 683
Personally I Think southern Hip hop Changed Rap today.I Liked the rap bak in the day,Now the south Has Turned it around.I Hate main street most of all the artist today you hear on the radio are from the South.I'll just stick to Underground rap,It's knowledge rap not the bs rap these days.J5,Immortal technique,Fort minor,Living legends,Jedi mind tricks, etc.Lupe fiasco is the only main street rapper I Like,But it's stupid how the radio only played Superstar,It's not the only good song on his album,In fact I Like Hip hop Saved my life,the coolest,Streets on fire,Paris,Put you on game better than Superstar.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: LawnGuyLin
674 posts, read 1,738,249 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never want to come out and say it but you're pretty much right. It mostly came from Deathrow. The record companies knew which songs to market and that was it. When I look back at the music and listen to it, I wonder what the world we was listening to. Degrading women, bragging about guns and the social ills of our communities. We went from self destruction to nuthin but a g thang in as little as 4 years. This was a HUGE discussion on allhiphop.com a few years ago.

The difference is back then they actually had lyrical ability and the early 90s gangsta rappers were actually gangsta. Now a days I wouldnt be afraid of a mainstream rapper unlike in the early 90s you would be intimidated by a West coast guy like Ice Cube for example. I personally think hip hop died when the wave of good ny rappers died like B.I.G., Pun, Big L and oakland's 2 pac even though he was born in Brooklyn.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Twilight zone
3,630 posts, read 7,826,324 times
Reputation: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
The difference is back then they actually had lyrical ability and the early 90s gangsta rappers were actually gangsta. Now a days I wouldnt be afraid of a mainstream rapper unlike in the early 90s you would be intimidated by a West coast guy like Ice Cube for example. I personally think hip hop died when the wave of good ny rappers died like B.I.G., Pun, Big L and oakland's 2 pac even though he was born in Brooklyn.
I cant stand to listen to rick ross's music. The stuff he was talking about was kinda sketchy and if you ask me he was basically "snitchin'" on himself in his music. "I made a couple million dollars last year dealin weight," yeah right. If its not tru then y talk about and not only that, they found out he was a cop too!
But I gotta say most of the stuff biggie talked about was made up too. I think the only guys who actually lived wat they talked about were nas, snoop dogg, big L, Big Pun, and MAYBE jayz. And thats a big MAYBE. I'm not saying people should glorify their rough past but they shouldn't act like something they're not either
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top