U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,287,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
1986-1998 east coast hip hop is unprecedented. I usually try & be somewhat accommodating & partial, but................... Lets be serious.
The last 10 or so years have been straight lame for hip hop as a whole. This is the same time period when the South took control of the Airwaves & the direction of the record labels. You guys below the Mason Dixon cherish lowest common denominator culture & it shows in the BS hip hop you support.
I know I'm being rude, but it must be said. You all are strangling a once innovative art form.
I have to be real too, a lot of people consider hip-hop to be the lcd of black (and American) culture. Take a guy like Beanie Sigel, who's 35 yrs old, he can spit but his content is pretty low. Basically the Midwest does it better right now. Basically gangsta rap ruined hip-hop (everyones a tough guy who can't be himself=fake). I actually listen to Lupe, Wale, T.I., Luda, etc. I still list to Lil Jon & The Eastside Boys from my school days. Gangsta rappers are lcds of hip-hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah I totally concur with you. The majority of the South music is commercialized. Northern Hip Hop right now is underground. People Like soldja boy, lil wayne, and the other person which i forgot his name but he has a song that goes by "a bay bay". These people are killing hip hop. There are a few rappers from the south that are really good. Like T.I., Ludacris, etc... However the majority of the southern rappers are killing Hip Hop. Hip Hop used to be lyrical, now it's all commercialized.
I thought "A Bay Bay" was stupid when it first came out but then I found out that he was paying homage to an actual DJ (and showing the world how they do it in Louisiana) I can respect that. Link
Rate this post positively

Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,305,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Seriously,especially when the first kid starts rapping.
Maybe because he is blind.....

Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 PM

398 posts, read 1,283,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
okay ny is #1 for lyrics but the mid-west at #3 is just blasphemy. I mean L.A and the bay have some good lyricists but guys from detroit chicago and ohio roll with the best or them ( stl is southern rap so thats wy I didn't include them). for example

common
royce da 59
eminem
lupe
bone thugs
rhymefest
ca$his (he reps for both la and chi but he started rapping in chicago and went to la to further his carreer)
obie trice
twista
proof(rip)
tech 9

and a sh1t load of underground guys that might be even better than the guys I just listed

i'd say west coast and mid west are about even but guys on the left coast tend to have that laid back flow while guys from the mid west rhyme like ther's a freakin clock ticking on their head, they attack the mic.
The south......good mc's get over shadowed by all the radio stuff thats why people think they stink.
Yeah that Rhymefest dude is nice, Royce is dope too. you got to check for that group Slaughterhouse. Man, they got..Royce the 5'9, Crooked I, Joe Budden, and Joell Ortiz..They spittin ridiculous!! Crooked I is on another level though son.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,769,917 times
Really the only southern rapper I liked was Lil Bow wow when he was a kid. His songs were cute and he's really talented. Though he actually is from Ohio, but moved to Atlanta at some point. That kid's got some talent-

YouTube - Lil' Bow Wow - Bounce with me

Old 04-24-2009, 05:10 PM

20,035 posts, read 30,774,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I have to be real too, a lot of people consider hip-hop to be the lcd of black (and American) culture. Take a guy like Beanie Sigel, who's 35 yrs old, he can spit but his content is pretty low. Basically the Midwest does it better right now. Basically gangsta rap ruined hip-hop (everyones a tough guy who can't be himself=fake). I actually listen to Lupe, Wale, T.I., Luda, etc. I still list to Lil Jon & The Eastside Boys from my school days. Gangsta rappers are lcds of hip-hop.
I never want to come out and say it but you're pretty much right. It mostly came from Deathrow. The record companies knew which songs to market and that was it. When I look back at the music and listen to it, I wonder what the world we was listening to. Degrading women, bragging about guns and the social ills of our communities. We went from self destruction to nuthin but a g thang in as little as 4 years. This was a HUGE discussion on allhiphop.com a few years ago.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Really the only southern rapper I liked was Lil Bow wow when he was a kid. His songs were cute and he's really talented. Though he actually is from Ohio, but moved to Atlanta at some point. That kid's got some talent-

Yeah he's not from the South. He's from the Midwest. He never repped the South, he didn't write his rhymes, and he sucks. Which is why he is irrelevant now and he got the picture and "retired."

BTW, when you add in the underground, I think the South can go toe to toe with any region. I'm not talking about what you hear on the radio or see on tv. I'm talking Cunninlynguists, Phonte, Gerald G, Headcrack. Not Mike Jones, Paul Wall, (who both embarrassed Texas), most of the garbage Atlanta rappers in the past 5 years and so on.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 PM

3,630 posts, read 7,826,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Yeah that Rhymefest dude is nice, Royce is dope too. you got to check for that group Slaughterhouse. Man, they got..Royce the 5'9, Crooked I, Joe Budden, and Joell Ortiz..They spittin ridiculous!! Crooked I is on another level though son.
slaughterhouse is freakin amazing. Not only do they have 4 really good mc's but they're from different regions/cities and its a good business move for them. The whole thing is a movement.
Lyrically I'd say...
crooked I > Joell > Royce > Joe budden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

AW HE** NAW! You are takin me back with this. This song was like every kids anthem back in 2000. I think bow wow had better flow back then

Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
( stl is southern rap so thats wy I didn't include them). for example

If STL is Southern rap, than the rest of the South doesn't know about it.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:37 PM

75,214 posts, read 102,800,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
I heard that Slaughterhouse song today and it was pretty hot.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 PM

3,345 posts, read 6,031,429 times
I recently turned Northern...All that soulja boy style music is gay, plus that fake a** gucci mane music is gay too. Southern music has no purpose to it!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.