U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the worst car traffic??
Los Angeles 94 58.39%
New York City 59 36.65%
Atlanta 48 29.81%
Washington, D.C. 54 33.54%
San Francisco 18 11.18%
Houston 30 18.63%
Miami 18 11.18%
Dallas 18 11.18%
Boston 11 6.83%
Detroit 5 3.11%
San Diego 3 1.86%
Other 20 12.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 AM

4,570 posts, read 6,784,140 times

Advertisements

Which cities have the worst car traffic??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:51 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,019,920 times
Houston and Orlando

Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 AM

1,542 posts, read 5,472,340 times
new york city and its surrounding metropolitan area. even with the nation's best mass transit system, there are still a lot of areas in the region that aren't served by reliable, frequent transit options - including many neighborhoods within nyc proper, especially in the outer boroughs.

for instance, if you live in southern brooklyn, it could easily take over an hour to get into manhattan - especially if you need to take a bus (or two) to the subway. every new yorker knows that transfers can waste a lot of time and energy. and then there are places like staten island which are notoriously difficult to get to and from via mass transit. i've met people who needed to commute from southeastern queens (near jfk airport) or southern staten island to the bronx via mass transit. for these people, riding the rails and buses could take two hours one-way, despite never leaving the city proper.

thus the need for many new yorkers to drive, despite the misconception that nyc is this mecca of mass transit where no one needs to own a car and getting around is as easy as pie. the truth is more complex than that.

while quite a few people are able to enjoy an entirely car-free life in the city, plenty of others cannot - and this contributes to horrendously congested traffic conditions.

then consider that the busiest commercial areas of the city, such as midtown manhattan or downtown brooklyn, are filled on a daily basis with taxis, ups vans, delivery trucks, scooters, bikes, and tons and tons of pedestrians. if you've never been to these areas, you simply cannot imagine how much congestion there is on the streets, crosswalks, and sidewalks (unless you've been to major cities abroad, such as tokyo, hong kong, etc).

as bad as traffic is in places like los angeles, houston, and atlanta, there is nothing in those cities that can compare with the black hole that is midtown manhattan during rush hour or even midday. or, for that matter, traffic on the hudson river or east river crossings during rush hour (especially on friday afternoons/evenings during the summer).

also keep in mind that the roads and highways in the nyc area are extremely subpar. not only are there potholes galore, but there are also numerous roads without dedicated turn lanes (even in the suburbs), which means that there is always a long line cars stuck in the left lane behind that one guy who is waiting for his chance to make a left turn. in nyc proper, making a right turn can take forever, too, due to the heavy stream of pedestrians crossing the street at many intersections.

and there are far too many highways, including MAJOR ARTERIES that are critical for commuters and commercial interests alike, that don't have shoulder lanes. this means that a minor accident can cause a significant backup, which is compounded on the many bridges and tunnels in the region (remember that manhattan and staten island are their own islands, queens and brooklyn are on a different island, and jersey and the bronx are on separate peninsulas). never mind the fact that far too many roads and highways are much too narrow for their own good. new york doesn't have 6 lane freeways like southern california.

consider that there are nearly nine million people living in nj, 7.5 people living on long island (including brooklyn and queens), and several million more in the northern suburbs such as westchester and connecticut. everyone driving into manhattan from these areas must contend with a handful of narrow bridges and tunnels (sans shoulder lanes) that are woefully inadequate to handle the sheer volume of cars passing through on a daily basis. what this means is that traffic into and out of manhattan is made that much worse due to an insane volume of cars trying to pass through a handful of bottleneck choke points.

so while it's inevitable that traffic would be awful due to the 23 million people living in the area, it's made that much worse by the poor road infrastructure in and around the city. sure, quite a few people have the option to take mass transit, but for those who need to drive, traffic is a nightmare.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM

366 posts, read 1,334,282 times
Houston, L.A, D.C, Atlanta and Dallas

Here in Houston it seems like the traffic is getting worse due to the growing population and constant freeway construction.

Thank god more rail lines are about to start construction.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 AM

15,988 posts, read 31,859,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Houston, L.A, D.C, Atlanta and Dallas

Here in Houston it seems like the traffic is getting worse due to the growing population and constant freeway construction.

288,290, and 45 are the worst.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:12 AM

366 posts, read 1,334,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
288,290, and 45 are the worst.
You can add 59 as well.

Unfortunaetly I go to Houston 3-4 times every week. The traffic on I-45 is clogged almost everyday. Once you get into League City near Taylor Lake Village the traffic pretty much slows to 35mph and its only getting worse. I remember a friend telling me that everything near I-45 was nothing but trees and green land 10-15yrs ago. Thats has changed drastically over the yrs and will continue to change.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 AM

4,570 posts, read 6,784,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
I think Houston should focus more on heavy rail rather than light rail. First, it's considerably faster, so it would be a good alternative for the residents who live in suburban areas.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,631,748 times
I don't think any major city in the U.S. has worse car traffic than Los Angeles, sad to say

Old 04-25-2009, 11:28 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,036,794 times
The impression I got in LA is that there never isn't traffic. It's ridiculous. I want my hours back.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:29 AM

33,668 posts, read 58,056,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The impression I got in LA is that there never isn't traffic. It's ridiculous.
Definitely LA takes the cake as far as traffic. I learned that the hard way. Commuting from Pacific Palisades to Downtown LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or