Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times

Advertisements

Dallas - 6.5 million

Houston - 6.0 million

Philadelphia - 6.0 million

Washington D.C. - 5.7 million

Miami - 5.7 million

Atlanta - 5.4 million

Rank in terms of:

1. Downtown size
2. Metropolitan area size
3. Subjective feel of size of city from being in the downtown
4. Subjective feel of size of city from driving across the metro
5. Which has the worst traffic
6. Which has the most extensive freeway system

No other comparisons (like prominence, worldliness, skyline, attractiveness, public transport, entertainment, parks) just focus on these criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,774,131 times
Downtown

1. Philadelphia
2. Washington DC
3. Houston
4. Miami
5. Atlanta
6. Dallas

I graded them based on a combination of height, area, population, building density, and ambiance. Philadelphia is the only one with all four qualities. Washington DC has the area, ambiance, population and building density, but no height whatsoever. Houston has the height, area and building density, but no population or ambiance. Miami has the area, population and building density, but lacks height compared to Philadelphia and Houston, and has spotty ambiance. Atlanta has the height, but lacks the population and ambiance, and its area is artificially inflated by extremely low building density. Dallas has height, and nothing else.

MSA

1. Atlanta
2. Washington DC
3. Houston
4. Dallas/Fort Worth
5. Miami
6. Philadelphia

Atlanta spreads out along the Piedmont like kudzu. Washington DC does too, but it hides its development a little bit better. Houston sprawls to the north and south, but dies pretty quickly to the east and west. Dallas/Fort Worth doesn't seem very centered in its highway layout, with most of its development seemingly north of I-30. Miami spreads out far along the Atlantic coast of south Florida, but dies instantly 10 miles inland. Philadelphia hides its MSA the best, with lots of green belts, a thick tree layer, and only peeks of development along the highways.

Traffic

1. Philadelphia
2. Miami
3. Houston
4. Dallas/Fort Worth
5. Atlanta
6. Washington DC

Philadelphia seems to have the least traffic, and Miami's traffic has never been bad when I've been there. Houston's traffic wasn't as bad as its reputation suggests. Traffic in Dallas/Fort Worth was worse. Atlanta and Washington DC have the worst traffic.

Highways

1. Houston
2. Atlanta
3. Dallas/Fort Worth
4. Miami
5. Philadelphia
6. Washington DC

Houston's highways are modern marvels of civil engineering. Atlanta's highways are very wide, but not as extensive as Houston's. Most of the highways in Dallas/Fort Worth seem to be south of the center of population. Miami has a tangle of north/south highways with a few east/west connectors. Philadelphia only has a few highways, and the one with the highest traffic volume is obsolete. Washington DC doesn't have much aside from its beltway.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 04-17-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
1. Downtown size
DC
Philly
Houston
Miami
Atlanta (would be higher if including midtown)
Dallas

Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
DC
Miami
Philly

Philly
DC
Miami
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston

Houston
Dallas (would be first if including fort worth)
Atlanta
DC
Miami
Philly

DC
Philly
Atlanta
Houston
Miami
Dallas

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
DC
Miami
Philly

other comparisons (like prominence, worldliness, skyline, attractiveness, public transport, entertainment, parks) just focus on these criteria.

DC takes all of these IMO, then Philly. The rest are about the same. But I prefer them in this order: Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas

Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
For the record, I've only spent time (two nights) in D.C., it felt more vibrant as a city than I was expecting. I was actually pleasantly surprised, it's a pretty hip town. We drove through the Houston but didn't go downtown, didn't really get an impression but did see the spaghetti-like freeway system. Skirted the Philly metro area, and have not seen Atlanta, Miami or Dallas-Forth Worth.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Highways

3. Dallas/Fort Worth

Most of the highways in Dallas/Fort Worth seem to be south of the center of population.
Not really.

But there are some innovative systems coming in the near future for DFW and they're mostly in the northern part of the area.

Dallas Ft. Worth and Texas Road Building Innovations - YouTube

DFW Connector - eastbound - YouTube

North Tarrant Express - East Segment - YouTube

North Tarrant Express - West Segment - YouTube

I-35W Design Visualization - YouTube

Dallas, TX I-35 Toll /I-635 / I-635 Toll Animation Eastbound - YouTube

Chisholm Trail Parkway (ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/ftw/sh121/sh121sp_map.pdf - broken link)

SH180

Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,195 times
The D! No competition.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,711 times
Atlanta feels the smallest in every way. Philly feels like the biggest city and Dallas feels like the biggest metro with Houston next. D.C. is middle pack in every way and Miami feels the most urban as an area

With all things considered equally, I have to go with Dallas

Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
The D! No competition.

ScrewedUpClick....

Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,729,451 times
downtown
Philly
DC
Atlanta
Miami
Houston
Dallas

metro
Philly
DC
Miami
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta

Philly feels the largest by practically every measure. The only cities/metros that feel larger are NYC, Chi, SF, and LA. Philly only has a few major highways, and they are inferior to those in the Sunbelt, there is just no room for them, its just not a highway city like that, but driving around the surface streets, its no contest.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Rank in terms of:

1. Downtown size
A Philly
B DC
C HOuston
D Miami
E Atlanta
F Dallas

A Houston
B DFW
C DC
D Miami
E Atlanta
F Philly

See number 1.

A Houston
B DFW
C DC
D Miami
E Atlanta
F Philly

A DC
B Philly
C Miami
D Houston
E Atlanta
F Dallas

A Houston
B DFW
C Atlanta
D Miami
E DC
F Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City