Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,273 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but no way is Chicago the number 2 city in this country anymore. For a city its size, it doesnt have much cutlural influence, and on the coasts it's not on the national radar in the same way that LA and DC are (some could even argue that Boston Metro and the San Francisco Bay Area (SF/SJ/Oakland) are more influential and "famous")

A valid argument could be made for Chicago being 3rd or 4th, but I think the vast majority of people *outside of Chicago* (or nearby cities) would not consider it the #2 city.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM

3,646 posts, read 8,325,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesturley View Post
Sorry, but no way is Chicago the number 2 city in this country anymore. For a city its size, it doesnt have much cutlural influence, and on the coasts it's not on the national radar in the same way that LA and DC are (some could even argue that Boston Metro and the San Francisco Bay Area (SF/SJ/Oakland) are more influential and "famous")

A valid argument could be made for Chicago being 3rd or 4th, but I think the vast majority of people *outside of Chicago* (or nearby cities) would not consider it the #2 city.
Its like this jo' (chicago slang) I say nyc, then la, then dc, then chi(maybe the bay).

Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM

795 posts, read 2,412,599 times
I think Chicago is America's second city hands down and here is one good reason why.

The Chicago Stock Exchange (CHX) is a Chicago-based stock exchange. The Exchange is a national securities exchange and self-regulated organization, which operates under the oversight of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The Chicago Stock Exchange is the third most active stock exchange in the United States by volume, and the largest outside of New York City. The Chicago Stock Exchange is currently located at 440 South LaSalle Street (One Financial Place).
Chicago Stock Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 PM

3,646 posts, read 8,325,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I think Chicago is America's second city hands down and here is one good reason why.

The Chicago Stock Exchange (CHX) is a Chicago-based stock exchange. The Exchange is a national securities exchange and self-regulated organization, which operates under the oversight of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The Chicago Stock Exchange is the third most active stock exchange in the United States by volume, and the largest outside of New York City. The Chicago Stock Exchange is currently located at 440 South LaSalle Street (One Financial Place).
Chicago Stock Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
nice. +1. chicago gets overlooked alot

Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,411,278 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: personal attack DC has more cultural influence than Chicago

Last edited by houstoner; 05-09-2009 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,176,870 times
Dude, I love Chicago so this is not a diss but DC has the worlds (not USA) top museum system, world class architecture, international ammenities, think tanks, etc...

Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times
Chicago is the #2 "business center" ... after that, no. But it is top 5-6 range in everything else, some higher, some lower.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,746,208 times
Hello World,

The World according to GAWC 2008

Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,934,670 times
Quote:

I don't think outside this forum, people even think about which cities are number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Honestly, do you hear people on the streets talking about this? I never have.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times
Moderator cut: orphaned I grew up visiting Chicago all the time, my moms side of the family is all from there. My grandfather is a Northwestern alum, my uncle lives in Rogers Park... and I have lived there several years, Just left September of last year... That is just what I think about it, not sure what was so bad about my post. I just don't think it is #2 in every category. Business and skyscrapers...sure.
population? no
arts? no
music? no
transportation? no
educated? no
universities? no
entertainment? no
weather? no
cosmopolitan? no
theater? no
crime? no
beaches? no
mountains? no
scenery? no
cost of living? no
food? no

it is up there for sure but people on here act like it is #2 city across the board in the u.s.. People try to put it on the level of nyc/london/paris. It isn't.
I said it is in the top 5 or 6 in about every category though. I think that is pretty good and well rounded, not sure why you got your panties in a bunch.
I've been to every single big city in north america and western europe...every single one of them. Sorry but Chicago is NOT the be all end all on this.

Last edited by houstoner; 05-09-2009 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City