Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If ever there was a decent city in this country. its SF.
Really that's funny because the total rate of native residents vs transplants (Who never wind up staying for life) in your city would suggest otherwise. Tell me hows that non existant middle class fairing in SF? I don't see how the city with the number one largest disparity between rich and poor could be considered decent. But hey zero carbon emissions for SF buses right? Yay...go you....

Quote:
Im sorry, I didnt realize that you are unaware that Oakland is part of The Bay Area. We, in The Bay Area have a world class city at our heart.
Yea I know you have a world class city. I've been to San Jose multiple times. Great city.

Quote:
Not nearly as much as the Southside of Chicago. Not even close.

HA!
Yea let me think here the President of the United States last known residence was on the South Side of Chicago.....who lives in Oakland again? Ron Dellums? ROFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Really that's funny because the total rate of native residents vs transplants (Who never wind up staying for life) in your city would suggest otherwise. Tell me hows that non existant middle class fairing in SF? I don't see how the city with the number one largest disparity between rich and poor could be considered decent. But hey zero carbon emissions for SF buses right? Yay...go you...
So is this your gripe with SF? That its expensive?

Quote:
Yea I know you have a world class city. I've been to San Jose multiple times. Great city.
Actually you bring up a very good point. Not only is SF world class, but the surrounding Bay Area is amazing as well. Thanks.

Quote:
Yea let me think here President of the United States last known residence was on the South Side of Chicago.
We all make mistakes. Even President Obama.

Quote:
....who lives in Oakland again? Ron Dellums? ROFL
Oh, and what percentage of the last election did Rod Blagojavich get in the city of Chicago.

LMAO.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
oh hell......shut it down.....

Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
So is this your gripe with SF? That its expensive?
I have a lot of things I dislike about SF. At the risk of sounding redundant I'll name what I really don't like for you

1 It is terribly small. This leads to a total lack of venues on a scale that you would see In new york, LA, even Huston. It's not in a one horse town kinda way like sac, but the place is seriously lacking, night life is laughable.

2 Expensive..and this doesn't equate to unaffordable. I grew up in wealthy area and affordability for housing has never been an issue for me, even after college. But if I'm going to pay for gold, I want gold, not a turd painted yellow. That's fools gold. And that is SF. You are paying Manhattan prices for Seattle quality.

3) Arrogant Transplants trying to play the part of what they think a sf resident is. Be it a yuppie, a hippie, or a liberal nut... ie pretty much the majority of SF (save the chinese who tend to actually be locals)

4) Crummy Pac NW weather. Balmy in the winter, crummy in the summer with constant fog and wind. SF is a lose lose in the weather category. You might as well go to Seattle, because if you are going to live in a place with crummy weather, you should atleast not have to pay that much and you should get clean air.

5) Homeless Homeless Homeless and filth. Self Explanitory, the homeless and the filth they spread around your city is shameful. For a group of people who purport to be eco friendly, I have never seen a city so Filthy. I mean I've been to paris and all (also utterly filthy), but at least those folks don't try to act like they are cleaner than any one else. Sf needs to follow portlands example and clean up its filth( I used portland as an example because they seem to have a lot of homeless but seem to be able to keep their city clean)

Quote:
Actually you bring up a very good point. Not only is SF world class, but the surrounding Bay Area is amazing as well. Thanks.

Quote:
We all make mistakes. Even President Obama.
You've obviously never been to hyde park or probably the south side for that matter. Stay a provincial northern californian. Way to live up to a stereotype.

Quote:
Oh, and what percentage of the last election did Rod Blagojavich get in the city of Chicago.

LMAO.
I don't see how that changes the fact that no one in politics of any significance comes from the bay. You have no supreme court justices, no executives (even in your own state government), and loony representitives. That's even more funny to me, the fact that sf is so politically irrelivant that they have no clout even in their state government. Hence why Aarnold is your gov, and the water from the sierras flows southward. Because southern california runs your state. Oh yea how is that state wide bankrupt issue going? You guys find out if your gonna get your state tax rebates or IOU'S. Hah

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 05-05-2009 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:

4) Crummy Pac NW weather. Balmy in the winter, crummy in the summer with constant fog and wind. SF is a lose lose in the weather category. You might as well go to Seattle, because if you are going to live in a place with crummy weather, you should atleast not have to pay that much and you should get clean air.
The Bay Area's weather is awesome.

Quote:
5) Homeless Homeless Homeless and filth. Self Explanitory, the homeless and the filth they spread around your city is shameful. For a group of people who purport to be eco friendly, I have never seen a city so Filthy. I mean I've been to paris and all (also utterly filthy), but at least those folks don't try to act like they are cleaner than any one else. Sf needs to follow portlands example and clean up its filth( I used portland as an example because they seem to have a lot of homeless but seem to be able to keep their city clean)
I agree. Its nasty.

Quote:
You've obviously never been to hyde park or probably the south side for that matter. Stay a provincial northern californian. Way to live up to a stereotype.
Perfect. I'll stop stereotyping the Southside of Chicago and you stop stereotyping Oakland.

Quote:
I don't see how that changes the fact that no one in politics of any significance comes from the bay.
Wrong. San Francisco, the City itself, is the most villified city by the right of any US City-bar none. San Francisco in the minds of most Americans, is the city that most epitomizes LIBERALISM. Not NY, Not Chicago, Not LA. Its San Francisco.

Quote:
You have no supreme court justices, no executives (even in your own state government), and loony representitives.
Convenient that you would mention looney representatives. The Speaker of The House of Representatives is from SF, both US Senators from The State of California are from the Bay Area. Feinstein being from SF, Boxer from Marin. Hey, do you need some help getting your foot out of your mouth?

Heck, now that I think about it, I bet SF will benefit more from a President Obama than Chicago will.

He knows where his party's most loyal are.

Quote:
That's even more funny to me, the fact that sf is so politically irrelivant that they have no clout even in their state government.
Since your from Illinois, Id advise you to shy away from criticizing another place's state politics. LOL

Quote:
Hence why Aarnold is your gov, and the water from the sierras flows southward. Because southern california runs your state. Oh yea how is that state wide bankrupt issue going? You guys find out if your gonna get your state tax rebates or IOU'S. Hah
Actually, its the exodus of all the whiners(I call them dead weight) from California that is the most promising aspect of all. It makes space for the doers and thinkers that keep California unmatched as a state.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
The Bay Area's weather is awesome.
Yea there is nothing better than being cold in sf in the summer and than driving 20 miles to danville to fry because its 90 degrees plus. Try again.

Quote:
Perfect. I'll stop stereotyping the Southside of Chicago and you stop stereotyping Oakland.
Yea except I've actually been to Oakland many times. I've been on east 14th (international) if been to a raiders game, checked out montclair, rode a ferry, etc. And Oakland is more or less a dump. Even people all the way at the top of the hills have homes and cars decked out with the latest alarm systems.

The south side of chicago has excellent schools(universities), and a diverse population, as well as *gasp* a middle class. Oakland is ghetto in the flats, nice in the hills, with a trashy lake where prostitutes hang out, and one nice place to drink in the flats..ie a place where you can be white in a suit with a blonde girlfriend and not fear for your life (jack london square).

Why do you think the raiders left (and are thinking of leaving again) and the A's are doing everything possible to get out of dodge. The best public hs in oakland (skyline..in the hills) has students who score as lower on test scores than students in poverty stricken east la. Great city pal, its a shame the only colleges worth going to in that city are private (mills).

Quote:
Wrong. San Francisco, the City itself, is the most villified city by the right of any US City-bar none. San Francisco in the minds of most Americans, is the city that most epitomizes LIBERALISM. Not NY, Not Chicago, Not LA. Its San Francisco.
Liberalism is an ideology, not a person, and it was not created in nor is it fostered exclusivley in SF. Most people hate SF because its home to the limo liberal, not real liberals like portland. Most people don't mind liberals, thats why people dont have problems with portland and seattle, its the fake, hypocritical, look at me liberals of SF that everyone can't stand.

Quote:
Heck, now that I think about it, I bet SF will benefit more from a President Obama than Chicago will.
Illusions of grandure is a hell of condition to suffer from, I would suggest prof. help.

Quote:
Since your from Illinois, Id advise you to shy away from criticizing another place's state politics. LOL
This point is actually a valid one and duely noted.

Quote:
Actually, its the exodus of all the whiners(I call them dead weight) from California that is the most promising aspect of all. It makes space for the doers and thinkers that keep California unmatched as a state.
Actually that exodus of people from california, you're white, native born, residents is the largest white flight in history. The whole state is literally moving. And it's not just youre white middle class, your state also has the largest exodus of wealthy white native born residents.

Making space for doers? You mean the people who do your lawn and do your McDonalds? LoL please...not fooling anyone. The only reason california's population is growing is because you have an open border and you give wonderful welfare to all those people who have kids they cant afford. At the expense of the middle and upper classes, which are continuing to shrink in your state by the way.

It has already gotten so bad your state is bankrupt. As in your state can not legally pay off its debts. Too much spend, no tax revenue. By the way good luck getting real tax dollars from corporations and industry, as you guys have basically frightened almost all of them out of your state due to hostile tax policies.

Montclair you aren't fooling anyone. When I look at all your posts, I wonder if you are hyping the bay area up so you can convince yourself, not us here on City Data.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
A few comments in the thread are teetering on crossing over into personal attacks, folks.

Keep it civil.

Thank you

Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yea there is nothing better than being cold in sf in the summer and than driving 20 miles to danville to fry because its 90 degrees plus. Try again.
The Bay Area is one of the most comfortable places weatherwise in the summer. Chicago and its environs are a steambath that is unescapable. No comparison whatsoever. Its like being forced to live in the bathroom after you've taken a hot shower.

Quote:
The south side of chicago has excellent schools(universities),
The University of California system is hqed in Oakland and UC Berkeley is half a mile from Oakland-with many of its most notable Nobel Laureates living in Oakland. Nice try southside but no cigar.

And speaking of education, Oakland has schools in need, but some of its publics are actually excellent and among the best in the Bay Area.

Furthermore, Oakland has a higher percentage of graduate degrees than Chicago or San Jose.

Quote:
and a diverse population,
Not compared to Oakland. Diversity is one category where you'd have to use the entire city of Chicago if you want to compare it to a place like Oakland-one of the most diverse cities probably in the world.

Quote:
as well as *gasp* a middle class.
It seems you have something against rich people?

Quote:
Liberalism is an ideology, not a person, and it was not created in nor is it fostered exclusivley in SF.
Yet no city, Chicago or otherwise, is deemed as Liberal as San Francisco.

Quote:
Illusions of grandure is a hell of condition to suffer from, I would suggest prof. help.
No need for personal attacks. I think your taking this too seriously.

Quote:
Actually that exodus of people from california, you're white, native born, residents is the largest white flight in history. The whole state is literally moving. And it's not just youre white middle class, your state also has the largest exodus of wealthy white native born residents.
Actually we're better off with them gone. Thanks for doing us a favor and taking your complacent selves away so we can get down to growing our economy.

It will probably surpass $2 Trillion in a year or two.

Quote:
Montclair you aren't fooling anyone. When I look at all your posts, I wonder if you are hyping the bay area up so you can convince yourself, not us here on City Data.
Actually its quite obvious which city's forumers have the biggest chip on their shoulders and it certainly aint SF.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A few comments in the thread are teetering on crossing over into personal attacks, folks.

Keep it civil.

Thank you
Agreed. I think some of you need to put a flower in your hair the next time you go to San Francisco.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Yea it's funny how San Francisco is small but INSANELY dense, and San Francisco 2nd to New York in Cultural Influence has just turned into a San Francisco vs Chicago thread. Somehow any thread that claims any form of greatness that doesn't include NYC or LA turns into a Chicago vs. that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City