Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM

422 posts, read 815,617 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Atlanta, I wished it had a nearby body of water. When I lived in Chicago, I wished it had more of a milder climate. Living in Denver, I wish it had a nearby body of water and more dense streets.

What would you add to your city that would make it even better? I would add a monorail in LA. I would add a subway in Houston. I would add something iconic in Atlanta. I would add cobble stone streets in DC. I would add more store fronts in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM

30 posts, read 89,293 times
A legitimate subway system in Houston would definitely make its massive sprawl more manageable. Also, going underground would give the added benefit of relief from the scorching temps.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I would make Houston denser and much more rail infrastructure. The suburbs will be dense clusters instead of senseless sprawl that blends from one unincorporated suburb to the next.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would make Houston denser and much more rail infrastructure. The suburbs will be dense clusters instead of senseless sprawl that blends from one unincorporated suburb to the next.
Same thing with Fort Worth, only more skyscrapers...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,342 times
I would put downtown Baltimore on the South Baltimore peninsula, build a few extra subway lines, make a high-speed rail between D.C. & Philly, build a second CBD, make the city limits smaller, and build a new tallest of 700 feet.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
A much larger metrorail system. Along with most dense streets with "destinct" neighborhoods. I would like a mix of DC neighborhoods with some NYC height.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Here is just a few things I would do for Minneapolis & St. Paul:

* Merge Minneapolis and St. Paul into one city and have the newly formed city called Minneapolis - St. Paul or St. Paul - Minneapolis (depending on what city one lived in).

* The newly formed city would also have the ability to annex all inner-ring suburbs; those within or bordering the 494-694 loop.

* Increase housing in and around the University of Minnesota

* Increase housing and business density along University Avenue, which connects Minneapolis and St. Paul.

* Connect downtown MPLS and the West Bank by capping 35W.

* Connect downtown STPL and the state capitol by capping 94E / 35E

* Construct light-rail lines along I-94, 35W and along the 494 - 694 loop.

* Construct a commuter rail from MPLS - STPL to Rochester (home of Mayo Clinic) and Duluth.

* Convert the MPLS Armory into a public market

* Have the Vikings build their new stadium near the Target Center and Target Field.

* Implode the Metrodome and create a biomedical corridor that stretches down Chicago Avenue (in downtown MPLS) to Lake Street.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
I'd take the bulldozer tool and destroy a lot of the winding suburban streets and replace it with a loose grid.

Because of topography, it would be nearly impossible to have a true grid, but the winding streets make it hard to get around town at times. I'm not a fan of cul-de-sacs.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
I wish Sim City added an option to build/add to an already existing city within real life like New York, Philadelphia, London, Hong Kong, LA, Chicago etc. etc. and to build out an already created existing fantasy city within the game as well as the usual option to create your own cities/metros/towns from scratch. That's my only complaint about the game. Oh and public transportation could probably be a little better (like trains that go underground that aren't subways). Also, I wish there was mixed use buildings like residential/commercial or hotel/commercial or commercial with ground floor retail. I also wish it was more modern and less dependent on industrial... oh and I wish you could build curved roads... okay so I guess I have more then one complaint

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,458 times
I would add some mountains as a backdrop to Chicago, some beatiful snowcapped mountains to the west of the city. Maybe had some Rio de Janiero like hills/mountains along the lakeshore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City