Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you like better?
Atlanta 31 39.74%
Washington DC 47 60.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 AM

345 posts, read 811,863 times

Advertisements

These two haven't went head to head. based on:

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 09:59 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,565,904 times
We have done this before. ATL lost the overall poll. I like both due to the impact that melanated folks have had.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,997,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post

quality of life - Atlanta (very subjective and essentially makes the rest of the qualities superfluous)
economy - Atlanta (diverse economy that pays enough for most to afford)
nightlife - not sure
scenery - DC
daytime activities/events - DC
shopping/entertainment venues - not sure
transportation - obviously
overall vibe - Atlanta
Overall Atlanta, but for urban needs obviously DC.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,403,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe
For me, I think in terms of urban perspective. They’re not in the same playground and can’t even be compared.

Though I will say, urbanites are a minority. So Atlanta May get screwed in this poll since it’s generally urbanites. And not just any urbanites, but those in particular who like urbanity enough to post here.

I think for the majority of the population, most who probably prefer bigger houses, etc would choose Atlanta. Good schools, cost of living, big houses and you can still get an “urban” (for sunbelt cities “urban experience” = going downtown to go to a nice bar and then go home) experience.

But for someone like me, DC hands down. Very dense, a car is a bother for the most part. We have 3 airports, soon to all be connected by rail transit. A huge train station, any store you need, so many local stores, dozens of local book stores and stores for even the most random things such as a door knob store, kitchen supply store while you still have multiple targets, Costco, Walmart (even a supercenter) if you’re just dying for big box retailers. There’s literally no comparison between urban DC and Urban Atlanta.

But as I said. I’d put my money on most people preferring what ATL has to offer as a whole vs. DC.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:38 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,405,637 times
I like Atlanta, prefer DC.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:14 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,997,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
For me, I think in terms of urban perspective. They’re not in the same playground and can’t even be compared.

Though I will say, urbanites are a minority. So Atlanta May get screwed in this poll since it’s generally urbanites. And not just any urbanites, but those in particular who like urbanity enough to post here.

I think for the majority of the population, most who probably prefer bigger houses, etc would choose Atlanta. Good schools, cost of living, big houses and you can still get an “urban” (for sunbelt cities “urban experience” = going downtown to go to a nice bar and then go home) experience.

But for someone like me, DC hands down. Very dense, a car is a bother for the most part. We have 3 airports, soon to all be connected by rail transit. A huge train station, any store you need, so many local stores, dozens of local book stores and stores for even the most random things such as a door knob store, kitchen supply store while you still have multiple targets, Costco, Walmart (even a supercenter) if you’re just dying for big box retailers. There’s literally no comparison between urban DC and Urban Atlanta.

But as I said. I’d put my money on most people preferring what ATL has to offer as a whole vs. DC.
IRL suburbanites are a majority. On city data urbanites are a huge majority. Not sure which forums you hang out on that made you think otherwise. Let's see how this poll goes.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,403,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
IRL suburbanites are a majority. On city data urbanites are a huge majority. Not sure which forums you hang out on that made you think otherwise. Let's see how this poll goes.
That’s basically what I said maybe in not so clear terms.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM

16,716 posts, read 29,568,171 times
Atlanta.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,669,231 times
Atlanta for sure.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 PM

492 posts, read 537,450 times
Atlanta any day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City