Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,521,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
This made me laugh as well. Houston is a heavy hitter, but about Boston lets see......4th highest GDP per capita in the world, Biotech, Education and Healthcare center's of the US. 2nd in technology to Silicon Valley with 1/3 of all Venture capital funding in the country being awarded to either city. I don't know we have a couple things going on here.
Hey, I know that Boston is very important as is Houston. I just thought that I could inject a little humor to offset blatent ignorance by that first guy i responded to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,844,180 times
SF BOSTON AND HOUSTON?
WHAT?????
Obviously it's LA. I love Chicago but its no longer number 2. I'd say it's a tier one city though.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,693,373 times
I'm sorry, but IMO Boston and San Fran are not even top five material...well, maayyybe Boston, but only by a stretch.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,474,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I figured a dumb reply by the other guy needed an almost equally dumb response
How was what I said dumb? I was implying that obviously Houston is important due to oil, which Boston doesn't have...so I was asking what does Houston do better than Boston which makes it "easily" more important?

Here's what Boston does great:

- The mecca of higher education. How does that affect the country? Some of the most important people in the country and world were educated in Boston. Harvard Grads, Non-grads, MIT Grads

- We're a biotech and pharmaceutical powerhouse. Companies like Millenium Pharmaceuticals, Merck, Millipore, Genzyme, Biogen Idec, and Abbot Labs have headquarters or major presence in the area.

- Boston gets the most funding out of any other city in the country for Medical Research from the National Institute of Health.

- We also have tech-companies like EMC Corp and Analog Devices. It was named the fourth-largest cybercity in the US behind NYC, Washington DC and Silicon Valley with 191,700 high-tech jobs.

- Major financial services companies are based in Boston like State Street Corp, Fidelity, and Liberty Mutual. It was named one of the Top 10 cities in the world for a career in Finance. Consulting firms like Bain & Co and The Boston Consulting Group. Other major companies include Teradyne, one of the world's leading manufacturers of semi-conductors, and Raytheon, a defense systems company.

I'd like to post more, but it's quittin' time here, and I'm going to have to sprint to my train if I have any hopes of catching it.

I'm not bashing Houston by the way, I'm just curious how it's "easily" more important than Boston, as was initially claimed.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How was what I said dumb? I was implying that obviously Houston is important due to oil, which Boston doesn't have...so I was asking what does Houston do better than Boston which makes it "easily" more important?

Here's what Boston does great:

- The mecca of higher education. How does that affect the country? Some of the most important people in the country and world were educated in Boston. Harvard Grads, Non-grads, MIT Grads

- We're a biotech and pharmaceutical powerhouse. Companies like Millenium Pharmaceuticals, Merck, Millipore, Genzyme, Biogen Idec, and Abbot Labs have headquarters or major presence in the area.

- Boston gets the most funding out of any other city in the country for Medical Research from the National Institute of Health.

- We also have tech-companies like EMC Corp and Analog Devices. It was named the fourth-largest cybercity in the US behind NYC, Washington DC and Silicon Valley with 191,700 high-tech jobs.

- Major financial services companies are based in Boston like State Street Corp, Fidelity, and Liberty Mutual. It was named one of the Top 10 cities in the world for a career in Finance. Consulting firms like Bain & Co and The Boston Consulting Group. Other major companies include Teradyne, one of the world's leading manufacturers of semi-conductors, and Raytheon, a defense systems company.

I'd like to post more, but it's quittin' time here, and I'm going to have to sprint to my train if I have any hopes of catching it.

I'm not bashing Houston by the way, I'm just curious how it's "easily" more important than Boston, as was initially claimed.
When you said that Houston was only about oil.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,693,373 times
Well, I have to say, I think oil pretty much fuels EVERYTHING in this country, therefore, Houston is "easily" more important.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well, I have to say, I think oil pretty much fuels EVERYTHING in this country, therefore, Houston is "easily" more important.
As well as being tops in the US for medicine

Old 05-06-2009, 04:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,246,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
This made me laugh as well. Houston is a heavy hitter, but about Boston lets see......4th highest GDP per capita in the world, Biotech, Education and Healthcare center's of the US. 2nd in technology to Silicon Valley with 1/3 of all Venture capital funding in the country being awarded to either city. I don't know we have a couple things going on here.
scratch education,it's important, but it dosen't benefit the rest of the country. Houston has Aerospace, Energy, Healthcare, Ports, Oil, and even Technology. Sorry, but what your saying isn't anything spectacular outside of the 4th highest GDP. I truely feel Houston beats Boston.

NYC: Finance
LA: Exports
CHI: Transportation
HOU:Energy/Oil
SF: Technolgy
DC: Government

Like you stated, Boston takes a backseat to the bay area when it comes to technology. The cities I listed above are first at what they do.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times
Pueblo

lol j/k. I wonder where that Pueblo loving native is? I havent seen them around here in a while.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times
How are we even debating over Houston and Boston and which is more important? Boston is far more important. We get most of our oil from Canada anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City