Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
waco suits you well. i see why you claim it.
Born and raised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i have pondered this list for several minutes trying to think why i have visited, i did visit, i will visit, or i should visit these cities listed. fortunately, i have had the opportunity to spend a good deal of time in them on business and pleasure. too, i was born and reared in chicago. a decent place in most respects. in my view, new york, san francisco, philadelphia, and washington (perhaps miami) are simply in a top category by themselves. they are not only unusually physically large, but they offer unique urban properties and features---their own unique urban enviornment. many, many cities---most not listed above---are very interesting, large, unique, have skyscrapers, specialty markets, etc. to me, dallas has some wonderful properties and amenities. it has some really cosmopolitan features; however, it really could be seen as a much larger version of seattle, minneapolis, or detroit...minus the extreme cold weather. yawn. same thing for houston, if one gets right down to it. currently, nashville, tn sees itself as a smaller version of houston and dallas, and many who live there truly believe it will overtake dallas and atlanta in the not too distant future. is there any real difference in nashville, austin, charlotte, or raliegh (extremely smaller size and a real lack of cosmopolitan lifestyle) when you compare them to houston, dallas or atlanta? i would even say there isn't that much difference in physicality between these cities and los angeles. in short, my point about houston, atlanta, dallas, and, perhaps, los angeles is simply their size and necessary large city amenities do not, in my book, put them in the same league as new york, san fran, dc, chi, and philly. i am always ready w/ a "yes" for these girls, the others make me pause for the question "is there somewhere or something else?" who knows, it might be better to spend a weekend in the assembly on monteagle than in atlanta, memphis, or chattanooga.
1. Dallas has almost nothing in common with Seattle

B. Seattle doesn't do "extreme cold weather"

Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 AM

19 posts, read 46,757 times
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Miami
4. Chicago
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. San Diego
8. Houston
9. Seattle
10. Denver

Just my opinion so dont hate.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 2,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
1st Tier:
  • New York
2nd Tier
  • Los Angeles
  • Chicago
  • San Francisco
3rd Tier
  • Washington D.C.
  • Houston
  • Boston
  • Dallas
  • Atlanta
  • Philadelphia
Why do you put philly last... phillies better than 75 % of the citys you said

Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 PM

145 posts, read 687,638 times
seattles the best hands down. and dont look at my name cuz that will not prove im bias at all XD

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
San Antonio is a tier 4 or 5 city/metro area and I don't think it's being overlooked at all. It obviously doesn't belong with tier 2 cities/metros: San Francisco, Philadelphia. Boston, Houston, and Dallas. Nor does fit in with tier 3 cities/metros: San Jose, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Phoenix, and Denver.

BTW, San Antonio is home to 4 Fortune 500 companies; short of several.

San Antonio had 6 but then SBC the New At&t moved. Now there is 5.

AT&T
Clear Channel Worldwide
Valero Energy
Tesoro Energy
Nustar Energy
USAA Insurance ( I work their with 20K others in one gigantic building.)

Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
1) NYC
2) Wash DC
3) LA
4) Chicago
5A) Boston
5B) Houston
5C) SF
8) Dallas
8A) Atlanta
10) Philly

Based on importance and influence, not on personal preference

Old 10-07-2009, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
1) NYC
2) Wash DC
3) LA
4) Chicago
5A) Boston
5B) Houston
5C) SF
8) Dallas
8A) Atlanta
10) Philly

I agree completely!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
1) NYC
2) Wash DC
3) LA
4) Chicago
5A) Boston
5B) Houston
5C) SF
8) Dallas
8A) Atlanta
10) Philly

Good list...would Miami be #11? or Seattle?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:17 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
I'm going by desirability of living in each city based on my personal opinion.

First Tier US Cities
1. Chicago- I am in love with this city. Quite possibly the nation's finest.
2. New York- From what I've heard, a little too fast for me. Still, I think I could get used to that
3. Washington DC/Baltimore- Been there, liked it, but too suburban for my liking. No skyline is a definite negative
4. Los Angeles- Way too suburban, polluted, and miserable for me. I'm sure it has its positives, though.

Second Tier US Cities
1. San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland- I'm a liberal, and this city is the PERFECT climate for me. I'm sure it would be love at first sight.
2. Philadelphia- In many ways, it's a lot like Dayton. Washed up, not recognized enough despite its significance, and yet easy-going and lovable. Philly just seems like a place that reflects my style.
3. Boston- Ah yes, Boston. Can't wait to see it, and I imagine I will love it. Seems like an amazing city.
4. Dallas/Fort Worth- Too suburban, new, and tacky. Yuck.

Third Tier US Cities
1. Detroit- One of my favorite places. I can feel the potential oozing from every corner of the city. Can't wait until it comes back.
2. Seattle- Climate is perfect, social atmosphere is perfect, economy is good, and the city itself is amazing. What's not to love?
3. Miami- I love the edginess, its atmosphere, but its climate sucks. The beaches would be nice, though.
4. Atlanta- Yes, I've bashed this town many times before, but it has some good sides, too. It actually has history. Part of it may actually be sustainable. The city itself is a cultural center for African-Americans. Refer to my other posts for negatives.
5. Houston- Capital of Evil (Bush + Oil + Halliburton = BAD)
6. [u]Phoenix- When will people realize that it is completely moronic to build in the middle of a desert? For our sakes as American taxpayers, I hope they do it soon before we waste any more money on infastructure in that hellhole.

Fourth Tier US Cities
1. Cleveland- As Drew Carey said, Cleveland really does rock. A great city with mass transit, many awesome urban neighborhoods, and great access to everywhere, I would love to live there.
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul- A little isolated, but still lovable. Truly one of the nation's coolest and most livable cities.
3. Pittsburgh- Yes, Pittsburgh has had a major revival, and it is now one of the nation's coolest cities. Would live there anyday.
4. Portland- Wouldn't put it in this tier, but still an awesome city. Climate is perfect, too.
5. St. Louis- St. Louis has some problems, but St. Louis has a ridiculously awesome heritage, too. I think they counterbalance (and 'cuz of my grit tolerance and preference for urban cities gives it an edge over many other places).
6. Tampa/St. Petersburg- Tampa really isn't too bad. 90 minutes to Disney couldn't hurt, either!!!!!
7. San Diego- I'm sure it's nice, but it's just not my style. Sorry.
8. Denver/Aurora- Middle of Nowhere = Major desirability deduction. I also am not a fan of mountains.

Fifth Tier US Cities
1. Dayton-nati- I live here and promote it like none other. 'Nuff said.
2. Columbus- Really livable, easy-going, cool place. Has some amazing hoods. Still a little too sterile for my liking at times, though.
3. Milwaukee- Seriously a cool place. Wisconsin's one of my favorite states. A wonderful city.
4. Kansas City- A little too isolated, but not a bad place.
5. Orlando- Disney's in town. Major bonus points. Still, the climate sucks royally.
6. Charlotte- Awful sprawl-burb itself, but at least it's close to civilization.
7. Austin- Not a bad city itself, but it's surrounded by..... Texas. Yuck.
8. Las Vegas- This city is a joke. Can't wait until corruption and drought kills it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City