Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times

Advertisements

Grids can be fine, if there is some nice topography or some other nice geographical element. Flat grids are less exciting, and flat grids that are surrounded by nothing than more flat land - well that's an uphill battle (yuk yuk) to be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Yet the most boring man-made landscape in the United States is NOT gridded 99% of the time. For every charming Boston, Lower Manhattan, or even Portsmouth N.H. there are a million suburban sprawl curvy Cul-de-Sacs feeding in to arterials that in turn feed in to highway on ramps. Crap like this will make any reasonable person BEG for a grid with a tree canopy and sidewalks.

But yeah, the old colonial street pattern of Boston is charming and oh so European.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Grids can be fine, if there is some nice topography or some other nice geographical element. Flat grids are less exciting, and flat grids that are surrounded by nothing than more flat land - well that's an uphill battle (yuk yuk) to be interesting.
I find it has more to do with the quality of the place more than anything else. A flat street lined with mature street trees, manicured gardens, front porches, and beautiful homes is a lovely place to take a walk. A new subdivision in Colorado Springs without sidewalks and with huge garage doors fronting every house is not--even though it's "hilly".

Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I find it has more to do with the quality of the place more than anything else. A flat street lined with mature street trees, manicured gardens, front porches, and beautiful homes is a lovely place to take a walk. A new subdivision in Colorado Springs without sidewalks and with huge garage doors fronting every house is not--even though it's "hilly".
I agree. I was thinking in terms of some very specific examples.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
I'm from Boston, we are not grided. Manhattan is and I love it because it is densely gridded. However, I just got back from Phoenix and found it so spaced out, miles of gridded streets. How BORING. everything was the same on every damn corner practically. Roads one way, streets another And avenues another way. Ugh, so structured and robot like. I hated it!

Wanted to know what others thought.
Did you really want to know what others thought, or did you just want everyone to know you're from Boston, while needing an outlet to talk trash about Phoenix? Is that the new trendy thing to do?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Just because a city is gridded does not mean every single building and street looks the same.
Well, obviously, but IMO it's quite monotonous to continually drive along a straight road and have to stop at 4-way intersections all the time.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Did you really want to know what others thought, or did you just want everyone to know you're from Boston, while needing an outlet to talk trash about Phoenix? Is that the new trendy thing to do?
i'm just giving my opinion and observation. This is a thread about gridded streets. I personally could careless talking trash about a city. But who knows, maybe its "Trendy" to accuse people of doing so. Thanks, AZ.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Well, obviously, but IMO it's quite monotonous to continually drive along a straight road and have to stop at 4-way intersections all the time.
Man, you need to come to Chicago..

Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM

49 posts, read 110,234 times
Some of the older communities within the City Limits of Atlanta are loosely gridded.
Ex.-Midtown, Home Park near GT between 10th st and maybe Atlantic Station,Vine City, Peoplestown/Turner Field/Some of Grant Park, Pittsburgh/Mechanicsville... other than that Atlanta's a mess lol.

I like the grid layout. Much easier to navigate.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yes, but all things being equal a hilly place is more visually appealing then a flat one. I find grid patterns boring. But it's also a problem if you can't easily get from point to point because the streets are designed to prevent people from passing through a neighborhood. How about bike and pedestrian paths on the grid system bisecting a convoluted series of curving roads for cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City