Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 PM

467 posts, read 874,839 times

Advertisements

Buddy, to my statement, listing New York's advantage over Chicago (below this post) you responded with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
This is completely false. The areas outside of Chicago have some of the best architecture in the country.
What does it mean? Is it better than New York or not? What areas? In the city? Outside of the city? Any examples?

And then, since you had no real arguments you started a personal attack, absolutely off topic:

Quote:
You know, you are one of the main reasons that people on other websites, like SC, say things like this: "And for the record... City-Data needs a whole ****ing e-nuke dropped on that site. Just tear out everyone and everything and start from scratch." Way to go. You've brought down an entire website?
And after this long off-topic personal attack you proposed to stick to the topic:

Quote:
Let's stick to the topic at hand, shall we?
I did that short analysis of your post so you and everybody else can see what Chicago school of rhetorics really means. You may think everyone else is stupid but the joke is usually on you.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,329 times
If you already knew he's been using fake identity then put advocatusdiavoli/dementor on ignore. There's an option called "Edit Ignore List" under "My Settings". There's no need to waste time to collaborate on his nonsense.

Quote:
You are absolutely right. I have been guilty of this in the past. I thought KONY was Dementor, but it turns out they are separate people.

Look at Advocatusdiavoli's style, though. Observe how he calls his fellow posters "kid" when he doesn't agree with them. Look at the points he makes: Chicago's architecture outside the Loop is bad, Chicagoans are hicks. Watch carefully the typos he makes in spelling and grammar.

Now, read some of Dementor's posts. Notice him doing the exact same things. Not similar, not almost, but exact. Then you'll see why we say they're the same person.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM

341 posts, read 452,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
We know our people, and you didn't have to tell us you weren't from here..Its obvious to a NYer.
Ok "LA"mexican. LMAO. I'm SO glad it's obvious. Thank You

I would never want NYC to define me. You look pretty desperate to do so though. But hey, that's your deal. Maybe pretending that you're a 100% NYC peep artificially boosts your esteem for a second there. Do what works for you. lol

Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 PM

633 posts, read 1,443,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Buddy, to my statement, listing New York's advantage over Chicago (below this post) you responded with this:

What does it mean? Is it better than New York or not? What areas? In the city? Outside of the city? Any examples?

And then, since you had no real arguments you started a personal attack, absolutely off topic:

And after this long off-topic personal attack you proposed to stick to the topic:

I did that short analysis of your post so you and everybody else can see what Chicago school of rhetorics really means. You may think everyone else is stupid but the joke is usually on you.
What is the "Chicago school of rhetorics?" That is not a thing, and that was a ridiculous thing to say. Welcome to my ignore list with your other alter-ego, Dementor.

Before I go, though, you should check out the following neighborhoods outside the loop for excellent architecture:

Wicker Park
Lincoln Park
Lakeview
Austin
Bucktown
South Loop
West Loop
The Bungalow Belt
The Greystone Belt
Kenwood
Uptown (many dilapidated, gorgeous buildings here)
The Gold Coast
Hyde Park

These areas comprise a land-mass slightly larger than the island of Manhattan. Enjoy the search, and I hope you change your mind.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post

I would never want NYC to define me. You look pretty desperate to do so though. But hey, that's your deal. Maybe pretending that you're a 100% NYC peep artificially boosts your esteem for a second there. Do what works for you. lol

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Not only that, but ask any Chicagoan: the 'L' tracks are awesome-looking. They add an element envied by places like NYC. Don't believe me? Watch Spider-Man 2. That's certainly not New York in that elevated train scene. Chicago had to step in for the underachieving Big Apple.

Buddy, Manhattan had the "Ls" but put them undeground many years ago. Apparently, New Yorkers are not so great on denial and will not live in dust, noise and constant shade just because they feel this uncomfortable setup is unique. Underachieving? Chicago simply does not have the money to put the L's underground. You are stuck with this XIX century technology forever

Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
What is the "Chicago school of rhetorics?" That is not a thing, and that was a ridiculous thing to say. Welcome to my ignore list with your other alter-ego, Dementor.

Before I go, though, you should check out the following neighborhoods outside the loop for excellent architecture:

Wicker Park
Lincoln Park
Lakeview
Austin
Bucktown
South Loop
West Loop
The Bungalow Belt
The Greystone Belt
Kenwood
The Gold Coast
Hyde Park

These areas comprise a land-mass slightly larger than the island of Manhattan. Enjoy the search, and I hope you change your mind.
Thanks Buddy, I appreciate it since I ma tired talking to someone who never set foot outside of Chicago.
Anyways, Wicker Park? Bungalow Belt?

Have you seen Central Park West? Riverdale? Park Slope?
This is laughable for everyone who has seen New York and Chicago.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,689,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post

does he anger you?http://******************/angry-smiley-17114.gif (broken link)

Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Oy, have you ever seen a street covered with L?

First of all it blocks the sun, second it brings dust (vibration) and noise.

There is nothing cool about Ls Manhattan used to have them before they were put underground for the exact same reasons thy should be put undeground in Chicago.
Which is why the city needs to find funding to refurbish them. NYC (Manhattan included) still runs elevated lines, and it's true that they need to be renovated as well. However, this isn't the same thing as Ls being a bad idea in general--they can and are being done well. The DLR is really nice. The awesome transit systems in Singapore and Taipei have elevated lines and they certainly aren't anywhere near as problematic as the ones in NYC and Chicago. The problem isn't that they're elevated given that there are numerous advantages to them being elevated (for me personally, the lines and oftentimes the stations have a wonderful dramatic look to them and I greatly enjoy riding above the streets and seeing the city)--the problem is that they're old and underfunded here in the states. It's extremely myopic to think that since the oft-neglected elevated lines in the states built decades ago are currently dirty and noisy, then elevated lines must be dirty and noisy. Especially since London (a city that's acceptably modern to you), the Hague/Rotterdam, Singapore, Taipei, and others are there to prove you wrong. You misspoke, that's all. You've made some good points before, but you were wrong when you tried to generalize.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
It's the typical argument with Chicago posters, no subtance a lot of claims and then public announcement that you will no longer participate.

Quote:

Wicker Park
Lincoln Park
Lakeview
Austin
Bucktown
South Loop
West Loop
The Bungalow Belt
The Greystone Belt
Kenwood
The Gold Coast
Hyde Park

What exatly is breathtaking in those neighborhoods? Chicago bungalows? prairie style wooden houses?
I gave you specific examples why New York's architecture is more interesting hence better and you provided me with a list of neighborhoods and encouraged me to search

It really sounds like a bunch of Chicago and subarban Chicago kids are trying to help their egos by boasting the city they live in. Unfortunately this is city-data where most people have been around and seen other locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City