Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,393,410 times

Advertisements

Having attended architecture school, there were three cities our school took us to up north, and they were Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia. I'm not saying those three have the best architecture, but it is worth noting that an institution continues to send students to those three rather than NYC.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,631,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Having attended architecture school, there were three cities our school took us to up north, and they were Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia. I'm not saying those three have the best architecture, but it is worth noting that an institution continues to send students to those three rather than NYC.
In honesty Jacksonian, do you really think they'd let someone from Mississippi walk around NYC without first trying the starter kit? NYC is pretty big and fairly intimidating. Imagine the insurance premium the school would have to hold if they told the carrier they were sending students from Mississippi to... New York City.

Last edited by BigLake; 05-29-2009 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 03:01 PM

633 posts, read 1,443,385 times
^^Great pictures! They totally demonstrate what I'm talking about. See how much sunlight reaches the streets? That is on purpose. That's why the buildings had to have those set-backs.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Are you guys really complaining that too much sunlight comes into Manhattan?

Strange.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Are you guys really complaining that too much sunlight comes into Manhattan?

Strange.
No... they're saying that it's good how much sunlight hits the streets of Chicago...

Old 05-29-2009, 03:47 PM

633 posts, read 1,443,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
No... they're saying that it's good how much sunlight hits the streets of Chicago...
No, I'm saying it's nice how much sunlight hits the streets of Manhattan. Also, it's cool how the buildings in Chicago create an overpowering feel, rising straight up.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In honesty Jacksonian, do you really think they'd let someone from Mississippi walk around NYC without first trying the starter kit? NYC is pretty big and fairly intimidating. Imagine the insurance premium the school would have to hold if they told the carrier they were sending students from Mississippi to... New York City.
Maybe because the NYC streets are too harsh for people who don't wear shoes...

I seriously hope you were joking and don't think that way. If not, then I guess what they say about Yankees may be true.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,631,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Maybe because the NYC streets are too harsh for people who don't wear shoes...

I seriously hope you were joking and don't think that way. If not, then I guess what they say about Yankees may be true.
just having some fun, Jacksonian... in honesty, your post about Boston, Phil, Chi. was a good one.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
just having some fun, Jacksonian... in honesty, your post about Boston, Phil, Chi. was a good one.
I figured you were. Ok, off to get some new overalls now. Y'all come down sometime, ya hear?!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 PM

467 posts, read 874,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oycrumbler View Post
why is it that you can't actually point to the logical errors or provide any kind of decent counter-argument. I feel my logic is pretty tight on most grounds, and i seldom stray from the argument at hand. Unfortunately, doing so often times includes some actual thought and detail. It's second nature to me by now so it's not nearly as difficult as it might be for you, and i've yet to have any particular problems with people whose judgment i find less questionable. I'd worry more if i knew your background or trusted your rationality. If you can't parse what i've written, then just ask. I'll try to break it down even more for you and in simpler terms.

I did mention the cold war as a factor in why many cities opted to stay with or start subway lines in lieu of other options (if you want to verify this then do look at the histories of many eastern european subways)--
how much if any effect, as i don't consider this to be the main factor, this has depends on the specific city and is one of many possible factors. And herein, as elsewhere in our discussion, lies the basis for what i consider an intelligent discussion: Understanding the details and contexts of a problem. I've presented many arguments and counter-arguments often listing actual examples.

As for your great speeches comment--well, i'm not writing a speech. I think it's slightly closer to a technical document appraising different solutions for a problem. And i'm fairly certain speeches with thousands of words filled with nuances and details can still be great. Actually, i know they can since i've read and heard a few. Of course, there's the slight problem now with people more posturing for the right quip and witticisms rather than going at length and detail. My guess is that a lot of people now would have a hard time paying attention to and processing, let alone just sit without fidgeting, a good detailed speech.
Anyone still wonders why there is no single national newspaper printed in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City