Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,646 times

Advertisements

Gentrification is usually a good thing...i just hate it when they replace smaller homes with huge stucco monstrosities, but that's usually suburbs.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,244,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Old school buildings? Chicago used to be a blue collar, hog slaughtering capital of the world. There is not much architecture outside of the Loop/downtown and never was unless you consider those old ugly bungalows a beautiful style. The only area in Chicagoland with an interesting architecture outside of the Loop is Oak Park and for obvious reasons but even those building are not really historical in an European or East Coast meaning of that term.
Better then any of those brown slabs from the southwest.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Cool. I met some people that argue nonse that gentification killed cities and their charachter. Of course these people do not really know the true "charachter" of the cities before gentrification.

Yeah, replace the mulitcultarism of Albany Park and Uptown with another seattle washington full of carbon copy structures and starbucks

Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago has some beautiful buildings but when you venture south especially down Cicero or Pulanski near Midway, i saw large swaths of flats that didn't offer anything but Minneapolis.
So your saying NYC doesn't have its run down parts? Many parts of NYC are downright hideous. I mean terrible.

Every city has its run down sections. Chicago has those areas. NYC has those areas. Your argument isn't holding up.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Mas. I don' care that much. I live in Chicago, I know Chicago.
When I come from downtown on I-90 I take Armitage and I am greeted by some rusted and decaying overpass righ in the center of one of the most affluent areas of Chicago. I could show you more but I bet you got so used to seeing this you would not really know what is wrong with this picture...

You take I-90 coming from downtown? To get to Lincoln Park?

You really don't live in Chicago. Your going through traffic, away from the area your trying to get to.

No Chicagoan would take I-90 to get to Lincoln Park from downtown. Your going way out of your way. You should hop on lakeshore and get off at Fullerton. Lakeshore is never as packed as I-90 and it'll drop you off right in the heart of Lincoln Park.

Dumba*s

Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times
Gtownoe,

Where did I say it was run down? I only commented on the housing stock. Miles upon miles of uninteresting flats. The Bronx, Manhattan, BK and Queens have run down sections but the housing stock is much better from an architectural standpoint. People are rehabbing brownstowns on the east coast at an alarming rate because they know the value of a brownstone. Flats are not in demand.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:52 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,393,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You take I-90 coming from downtown? To get to Lincoln Park?

You really don't live in Chicago. Your going through traffic, away from the area your trying to get to.

No Chicagoan would take I-90 to get to Lincoln Park from downtown. Your going way out of your way. You should hop on lakeshore and get off at Fullerton. Lakeshore is never as packed as I-90 and it'll drop you off right in the heart of Lincoln Park.

Dumba*s
The only instance i can imagine taking I-90 is if you work in the west loop and live in the lincoln park area just east or west of Ashland. In that instance taking LSD doesnt make much sense.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Yeah, replace the mulitcultarism of Albany Park and Uptown with another seattle washington full of carbon copy structures and starbucks
thats what i meant. when people try to gentrify a multicultural nabe, even though there's nothing really wrong about it. a place like bronzeville could use some but albany park? hell naw, because that neighborhood is safe anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So your saying NYC doesn't have its run down parts? Many parts of NYC are downright hideous. I mean terrible.

Every city has its run down sections. Chicago has those areas. NYC has those areas. Your argument isn't holding up.
just to be fair, new york isnt all brownstones. even brooklyn aint all brownstones.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Only ghettos should be gentrified.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:08 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,015 times
Sorry to say but your comment indicates you know nothing about Chicago architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Outside of the Loop, Chicago's architecture dies quickly. NY has Brooklyn, which has amazing architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City