Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM

633 posts, read 1,435,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There are lots of other canyons in River North and the Loop besides LaSalle. You just have to find the good vantages.

Here's River North for example:
Awesome! What street is that?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
That was very funny KONY depsite being a personal attack.

Sh*ttown2pa has to learn that personal attacks are not a part of good discussion. Besides, it can get your ass whooped if you ever do it in person.
Dementor, you said you live in Chicago, right? Let's meet up, so we can talk about this in person.

Is what I'm saying bothering you that much, that you have to make threats? Maybe you should take a time out for a while, and think about what you've done. I wouldn't want you to continue having your feelings hurt by my "personal attacks."

Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
All those funny little prairie dogs... Barking and barking hoping they'll look bigger then they actually are...
Prairie dogs don't bark, because they aren't dogs. Why would a prairie dog bark? Silly little kangaroo, always mooing and mooing! Funny little giraffes, always rolling around in the mud! Crazy little dog, always meowing and purring!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Awesome! What street is that?
Somewhere around Wabash/Delaware

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 PM

467 posts, read 869,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm glad you realize the concept of stating one's opinion when it comes to a personal experience! I think we're making terrific progress.
I am glad you are.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
I am glad you are.
C'mon now, you were doing a good job of bringing up some of the disadvantages of the els--it's been informative and it seems like you have a working mind. Don't go slacking now with a "no, you."

Old 05-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Dementor, you said you live in Chicago, right? Let's meet up, so we can talk about this in person.

Is what I'm saying bothering you that much, that you have to make threats? Maybe you should take a time out for a while, and think about what you've done. I wouldn't want you to continue having your feelings hurt by my "personal attacks."
You don't hurt my feelings kid. You just prove your immaturity with comments like in the previous post or silly "let's meet up".

What am I supposed to do when we meet? Listen to more nonsence from a subarbian kid he who never step a foot outside of county lines but feels he knows anything about urban life or culture? Kick your pretentious little ass to prove my point?
Keep it in the forum but keep it on adult level.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I agreed with you on the point of exposure to elements--I'm not sure why agreement is a problem for you. The only odd thing is that a line that is heavily used and elevated for much of its route in NYC (the 7 train) is actually more reliable and breaks down less often than most of the other routes in the subsystem. It's an odd thing, and I suspect that it has to do with rain and wind blowing the debris off the tracks while the subways collect debris--so one negative factor (exposure to the elements) is mitigated by the reduction of another (debris) in comparison to other NYC trains. Your point with the snow is a good one as Chicago's heavy snows are something that NYC doesn't have, so any mitigating factor rain and wind might have in clearing debris is offset. You really think a mostly closed tube is actually good for wind resistance? It's certainly good for testing the effects on drag, and it does isolate you from sidewinds (which I agree CAN be bad since safety concerns might mean different operating procedures in strong wind as well as additional friction against the track) but I'm not sure why a closed tube with somewhat limited airflow is a particularly good thing for drag.

The L train in NYC (not elevated for those who aren't familiar), and the river crossing in particular, is probably a bad example due to a combination of things. The long (and STRAIGHT) stretch between 1st Av and Bedford allows the L to accelerate and decelerate within operating procedures and achieve that speed. The cars for the L are all R143s and R160s built in this decade. The L is a dedicated line (sharing tracks with no other services) that's also one of the few, though I might be wrong on this as my memory's fuzzy, piloting the use of a single line manager which has been shown to be a lot more efficient (it may be that having a single taskmaster means that trains are less likely to get bunched up, so they can continue to operate at optimum speed without worry that they may have to make any quick decelerations).

I think tree branches on the elevated lines is an incredibly rare phenomenon since elevated lines are almost exclusively built in the median of roads and not along tree-lined sidewalks--furthermore, it would simply be good city planning to not have trees taller than the elevated line growing immediately along the track. The problems of blocking sunlight have already been covered. Here's another iteration for you since you can't seem to consider all the factors in total: some people at some points may prefer shade and shielding from the rain (how effective this is depends on how the lines are built) and elevated lines will never be on every single street in an area so you've now created the option for some pedestrians to either walk on a street that's somewhat shaded or ones that are not.

We've already talked about real estate before and I agreed subways have a smaller footprint at the street level than elevated trains--this is certainly one of the great advantages that subways have, and I think it's a great principle to really consider all the real advantages and disadvantages a system has. I'm not sure why bringing back up an advantage that both of us have already mentioned changes anything since it's not a consideration that anyone is dropping. The same was said about noise pollution, though with the additions that you seem to be overblowing this one as not everyone is as bothered by it as you, there are a lot of things that can be done to dampen the noise (they unfortunately require actually doing them and I'm not sure Chicago will), and, though I don't agree with the logic behind this, commuters in subways are exposed to as much if not more (echo chambers, anyone?) noise than those in els. And again, I agreed that NYC, LA (oh yes, this titan of mass transit planning, how could we forget?), and Chicago (back to 1936 are we?) decided against elevated trains at some points for good reason--I'm sure they weighed the specific pros and cons for themselves. However, the problem you and I are having is the assertion that elevated trains in general are no good or inferior to subways. This is questionable given that cities such as London (one of the examples you've dropped, possibly because you actually dont know much about London's mass transit and have never been there), Tokyo (ditto that said for London), Amsterdam, Singapore, Taipei, Berlin, and others find elevated lines to be good and viable solutions. So it then goes back to informed people making informed and rational decisions--which is oftentimes a good thing.

Why do you have to inflate your posts with so much blabber? Do think you will come off as more intelligent because of the word count? Keep it simple and to the point.

All the cities that you mentioned are primarly famous for their very old and extensive subways systems and of course there are other public transportation options supplementing them, including buses, streetcars, ferries, elevated and ground level light rail, however their subways provide the backbone to their transportation systems.
In all of your blabbery posts I have not seen a single convincing argument making elevated lines better than subways lines. Unless you consider providing shade a good argument. LOL

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times
Quote:

I'll join you two. I think dementor will choose the Lincoln park Children's Zoo like usual but maybe we can convince him to go to Farm in the Zoo. Let me know when and where.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
A bar association in new york--that would be "law and legal services."
I know what bar association is, you should have been more specific. NY bar does not tell me much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City