Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,051 times

Advertisements

I do not know what criteria is used for determining what is better architecturally, for me it seems largely preferential. However, due to New York's size, I would suspect it to have significantly more "architectural wonders" than Chicago. That is not to say Chicago does not have great architecture.

It is the same criteria as determining which skyline looks better, it is largely preferential. I can say Manhattan's skyline is larger and more impressive in terms of immensity, but it is not "prettier looking" than Chicago's skyline. No statistics, just preference.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:13 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
Obviously you've never strolled along Central Park West. Obviously you've never strolled E60th street and and longside the mansions in Lenox Hill. Obviously you've never strolled through the quaint Bank Street in the village. Obviously you've never strolled through stunning W 10th street. Obviously you've never strolled through the old, charming twisty streets of downtown Manhattan. Obviously you've never strolled through cobblestone streets of Tribeca and observe that the neighborhood which happens to have has largest collection of cast-iron buildings in the world. Obviously you've never walked alongside Riverside Drive on and onto the winding streets and observed the stunningly grand residential architecture.

Chicago neighborhoods are down right hideous in comparison to the New York ones. There is nothing that compares to the West Village, Greenwich Village, SoHo, Tribeca, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Gramercy Park, etc. Even the neighborhoods in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights are far nicer than anything the city of Chicago offers). I can see how the Loop compared to midtown, but after that no. Sorry.
I only lived in New Canaan for 3 years. I don't dislike New York. It is one of my favourite cities, but its architecture is not as good as Chicago's. Chicago is much more well put together as a city. Your mention of crime, etc. has really nothing to do with the thread title.

If you want to see great urban Chicago architecture just check out Astor Street, Dearborn Street, State Street Parkway, Lincoln Park, Lake View, Roscoe Village, Wicker Park and many other northside neighborhoods.

I remember reading an article that found that Chicago was America's most recognizable skyline. I mean Chicago has the tallest building, Willis Tower! Chicago's antennas and spires are unique and are a unique requirement of the city.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
lmao! Get Real ^^^^^^^^

Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
^^ Get real about what?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,684 times
Some modern buildings of NYC

Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Get real about that BS article he read. NYC has the most recognizable skyline in the world (not the US). Chicago's architecture outside of the Loop is mediocre at best. Mile upon miles of undetached, boring flats. NYC has so much diversity through out each borough that there is no comparison. Show me something in Chicago that is on par with SOHO, the apartments of the UES or brownstones in Harlem?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
The Borough of Manhattan has less than 10% of the New York City land area. Chicago is more than its lakefront district. I think people are forgetting that great architecture is more than just skyscrapers.

I have never really seen Chicago's residential areas so someone from Chicago will have to speak up but I have seen alot of New Yorks and I know its QUALITY.

This is why it strikes me as bizarre when people totally ignore huge areas filled with 19th century neighborhoods, brownstones, tudors, Queens Annes, Victorians, Dutch Colonials, early Federal style etc. Throughout the OUTER BOROUGHS you will find everything from 17th century farmhouses to fishing villages like Sheepshead Bay, City Island and Broad Channel. Colonial mansions like the Van Cortland Mansion and Bartow-Pell estate. Great bridges like the Brooklyn, The Verranzo and the George Washington. Flushing, Richmondtown, Forest Hills, Kensington, Kew Gardens, Astoria, Riverdale, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Little Neck, Bayside, Bayridge, Flatbush and on and on and on.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM

94 posts, read 281,817 times
Chicago has a lot of great residential architecture. The Chicago Greystone can be seen throughout Bridgeport, and much of the northside (especially near Wrigley field). A lot of nice residential architecture in Hyde Park and throughout University of Chicago's campus on the south side. Printer's Row, Lincoln Park, Streeterville Historic wall, Michigan Avenue Historic wall etc. etc.

Of course there are a whole lot of ugly bungalows on the city's west and south sides but that's because it's a more blue collar city in comparison to NYC. Run down areas to house the not so fortunate.

Both cities have excellent skyscrapers and residential architecture to boot.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
I like the 1st and last pictures. Also the one where it looks like its cracked in the middle. NYC finally started a building boom in the past 5 years and has added some nice buildings.

Here's some shots from Chicago

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8043/366336907452ecb74ffbb.jpg (broken link)

Didn't want to post too many pictures but I'll post some neighborhood pics as well in a seperate post.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:35 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
Go to this site and educate yourself. It seems you have a lot to learn about architecture, especially Chicago's architecture.

chicago architecture

The Not-So-Second City

Affirming the evident, the American Institute of Architects recently judged Chicago the city with the finest architecture in the country. To take the obvious a bit further, Chicago holds more important buildings of the past century and a half than any other place in the world. And to look at it another way, Chicago's architecture constitutes one of this country's greatest contributions to modern civilization

The Not-So-Second City - The Atlantic (January/February 2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Get real about that BS article he read. NYC has the most recognizable skyline in the world (not the US). Chicago's architecture outside of the Loop is mediocre at best. Mile upon miles of undetached, boring flats. NYC has so much diversity through out each borough that there is no comparison. Show me something in Chicago that is on par with SOHO, the apartments of the UES or brownstones in Harlem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City