Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you like better?
California 137 71.35%
Georgia 55 28.65%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Georgia's Economy is actually in worse shape.

Latest Figures released by the Bureau of Economic Research. I can't figure out why?

Georgia's Economy actually shrank 0.6%
California's Grew by a paltry 0.4% but at least it grew.

Good Riddance. We don't need haters here.

Interesting list... glad I left FL... those numbers definitely support my theory of what was going on there... it is the worst in the nation on that map. -1.6. California is .4 ... yeah I knew it wasn't good but...it definitely isn't FLORIDA... and many were telling me not to go...where as I constantly bitched and told people it was not good, having just moved there from another region, bitched about the business environment, the type of jobs, the REAL budget and income disparities... etc. etc. ...hummm :/ For me and my SO who are "educated" by most standards, CA is a far better environment than FL ... or GA for that matter. There are just far more opportunities, lateral moves, job sectors, yada yada...

I actually prefer super urban areas like NYC/Chicago/London/Paris but... CA...not so shabby in this dept either and it trounces all other regions for outdoors stuff.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,453 times
(1) California has a better education program than Georgia
---Average SAT Scores of Georgia: 1460
---Average SAT Scores of California: 1510
(2) Besides, who cares about the illegal aliens. Make them citizens.
(3) With the recession, every state have economic problems. That'll change when the economy go up

Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
1 is up and coming, and 1 is the past...guess who i voted for

Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Why do we do these threads? As much as I love my home state and its beauty. California is like a different country, it reminds you of Italy, France, the Sahara, etc, etc. There is no state in this country that can even come close to its geographical diversity.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Why do we do these threads? As much as I love my home state and its beauty. California is like a different country, it reminds you of Italy, France, the Sahara, etc, etc. There is no state in this country that can even come close to its geographical diversity.
Hawaii?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Hawaii?
Does Hawaii have deserts or snow capped Mountains?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
well most of it feels like mexico...so...

where is this supposed variety? doesnt georgia have the contrast between tropical beaches and mountains as well? and north carolina? and new jersey?

arizona has deserts and mountains. washington has forests, mountains, and a coast.

yeah, cali isnt that unique in that regard.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:33 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
California all day every day

Old 07-28-2011, 02:46 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hoang View Post
(1) California has a better education program than Georgia
---Average SAT Scores of Georgia: 1460
---Average SAT Scores of California: 1510
(2) Besides, who cares about the illegal aliens. Make them citizens.
(3) With the recession, every state have economic problems. That'll change when the economy go up
Georgia has good schools and bad schools just like California. The thing that brings Georgia's SAT scores down are

1. A very high percent of students take the SAT in Georgia whether they are very good or not where as in a lot of other States only the most serious students who intend to go to school out of State take the SAT. (In the 2008 season 71% of Georgia graduates took the SAT compared to only 49 % of Californias'.)

2. Georgia has lots of rural schools where students tend to score much lower. California's population is far less rural percentage wise. Students in Georgia's suburban schools tend to score far higher.

3. As an AA I scored high on my SATs but most African Americans nationwide don't score as high as the average on the test. Georgia has a much higher percent of AAs taking the SAT than California.

All this is to say that despite the statistics there are plenty of schools in Georgia where serious students with good parental backing tend to score high on the SAT. Furthermore, those good students qualify for free tuition under the Georgia HOPE scholarship and if they are accepted can attend Georgia Tech or Emory which are considered by the Nations most popular rankings to be two of the best Universities in America (Not as high ranked as Cal Tech, Berkley or Stanford but very close and consider they are free to HOPE students) or University of Georgia which is highly ranked as well.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-28-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
well most of it feels like mexico...so...

where is this supposed variety? doesnt georgia have the contrast between tropical beaches and mountains as well? and north carolina? and new jersey?

arizona has deserts and mountains. washington has forests, mountains, and a coast.

yeah, cali isnt that unique in that regard.
You just hate CA to the point that you basically can't appreciate anything about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City