Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:42 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There really is no point in arguing the weather of greater LA when people really do not know l.a. that well nor do they bother to look at data regarding its temps. Better just to let them assume that once you go 6 blocks inland you are in the desert.
6 blocks inland! Lol. They also don't realize that you can practically pick any summer temperature you want. Like low-70s? Try Santa Monica or Malibu. Like mid-80s? Downtown Los Angeles. Like 90s? Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, Chatsworth, etc.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I take a train everywhere and don't own a car. It runs the same dry or wet.
But you have to dress properly for the weather. Every time you put on a coat in cold weather or choose not to wear a coat in warm weather means the weather is affecting you.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
I take a train everywhere and don't own a car. It runs the same dry or wet.
Lets be real, up until recently I have lived in chicago my whole life, and to say the weather does not play a factor in quality of life is a stretch. I still own a condo in Chicago and everytime I am back, I am reminded of how brutal the winters can be, my 5 block walk to the train is miserable when the wind is blowing in your face, and forget about those poor bastards that take the bus. This of course, is not unique to Chicago, but to say it doesnt, in some way, effect quality of life is not true for most Chicagoans.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Chicago is not a city where many know, love, and trust their weatherman.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But you have to dress properly for the weather. Every time you put on a coat in cold weather or choose not to wear a coat in warm weather means the weather is affecting you.
well yeah..... The original person said it was some big detriment on the quality of life. It has an impact on your life, but it's only going to significaly degrade it if you're the type of person that hates that type of thing.

My only beef is that a lot of it is personal preferences. One huge topic of weather that would impact my quality of life is if I lived somewhere that was above 90 degrees or had a lack of thunderstorms or snowstorms during the year.

I LOVE thunderstorms and blizzards, and my body absolutely can't handle any long period of time over 90 degrees - humid or not.

Is that normal? No. It's just what I dig.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Chicago is not a city where many know, love, and trust their weatherman.
Why do you say that!! Most people tend know the current weather situation here much more than if they lived in Phoenix, LA, San Fran or other places with more stable weather.

Who doesn't know Skilling in Chicago. The weather people here are the best, it's like watching a kid drool into a big piece of cake when they get all excited about tornado season, winter storms, windy days, beautiful days, blizzards, heat waves.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Why do you say that!! Most people tend know the current weather situation here much more than if they lived in Phoenix, LA, San Fran or other places with more stable weather.

Who doesn't know Skilling in Chicago. The weather people here are the best, it's like watching a kid drool into a big piece of cake when they get all excited about tornado season, winter storms, windy days, beautiful days, blizzards, heat waves.
Tom Skilling's ok; his brother isn't.

One gripe about forecasting in Chicago (if I may be so blunt as to veer this thread wildy off-topic; never stopped me before), is that in the Spring, there are two separate temperatures nearly all the time: those impacted by lake effect and those areas not affected. This is important because the swing can, on a windy day, be upwards of 15 degrees between the lakeshore (e.g. 45 degrees) and O'Hare-ish at 60 degrees. Some forecasters vascillate between the two as a standard, so it's always an interpretation. On "lake effect days", I wish they would provide a more basic standard on the impact by degree by and away from Lake. If someone on this thread could contact all Chicago News / Weather outlets, gain consensus and then make sure the new methodology is put into practice region-wide, I'll be happy to rep you.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:

Because it is just not possible to in Chicago. I know, i lived in wheaton for half my life. In calfornia when the weatherman says it its going to rain...it rains, and you will be able to tell because you will see the storm comming due east from the west ie the coast. I cant ever recall a day where I have woken up, looked outside and seen a cloudless sky, and with in several hours be in a down pour, like I have in chicago.

Its not like its the fault of the weather people or Chicagoans, but Chicago's weather is near impossible to predict and being a good weatherman in chicago is nothing short of an art form.

California with its micro-climates is still a very easy place to predict weather patterns.

For example people knew el nino was comming this year because the past summer was so mild, even in sacramento, that there was only one clear explination, and they were right.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highandfive View Post
Dementor? Dementor would eat you alive by now.

I do however find it hard to imagine that anybody who spent any time in Chicago would claim that harsh winterers do not affect the quality of life: Seasonal Affective Disorder, shuffling snow from your driveway and driving in the snow are neither urban myths not quality of life enhancing factors. Of course you can get used to it, after all people live in even harsher climates, yet Chicago winters are nothing to brag about and definetely a selling point for Chicago.
It's shoveling, not "shuffling." LOL.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
It's shoveling, not "shuffling." LOL.
Dude I shuffle snow nonstop. Everybody do the Supersnow Shuffle!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City