Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Both. I've been there and there are many pedestrians walking on the street. Have you been there?
Unfortunately, no. I spent my whole time in Venice and Santa Monica.

I will say that since the addition of the Ritz-Carlton tower and a few others I can't recall the names of, that the LA skyline was quite imposing viewed from the 10. It's nowhere near Chicago, but it's not as lame as most posters try to make it out to be. Definitely in the top 5, density in a skyline isn't everything. Cities like Miami and SF have impressive building density in their downtowns, but lack the supertalls that make a skyline standout. While cities like Houston and LA have lots of supertalls, but lack the density in between to make it look cohesive. That's why NYC and CHI have the best skylines because they have a proper balance of both.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highandfive View Post
Oh, so there was no annexation in Chicago now?
Was there no comprehension in your reading ability?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I think that's what the main point of contention is. People east of the Mississippi are used to get more precipitation all year round than us in the arid Western part of the US. Relatively speaking, it may seem like a desert to you guys since it rains a lot less here than it does there. However, on an absolute level, LA isn't even close to being a desert.

Most LA residents are nowhere further than 1-1.5 hours than the nearest true desert, so we automatically know the difference between the two. At the same time, a lot of LA residents aren't very far at all from places that get regular downpours of rain and snow every year in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Growing up, I also thought LA was sort of desert like myself because it got way too hot where I lived (Summer wasn't Summer if it didn't go pass 90 degrees). Going to the beach didn't help that much because the sand was way too hot and dry, and usually burned my feet if I went barefoot. However, after living in Phoenix, I realized there was a HUGE difference between that and where I lived in LA because of natural vegetation.

In the end, its really what you're used to.
Also it is about acclimation... I think it takes about 6 months to acclimate to a different type of weather... I am not sure where I read that and it may be off... but it is something like that.

Case in point, I grew up in Florida, but subsequently left for awhile... Now I can not get used to it anymore and feel like I can not breath when I am there in the summer...but I was always fine growing up.

Another case, the first winter I ever spent in Chicago, I thought it was brutal, and overdressed considerably... the ones after that though, no problem and I would walk around often w/o a jacket in January when I went out for lunch in the loop. I remember my friends from Leuven and London visiting my 2nd winter there and they were in my shoes as I was the winter before, freezing!

So yeah, the human body can get used to a lot of things if you put up with it.'

Given Californias comparatively mild and dry climate, in my experience they have issues going to a hot and humid summer environment such as the south, and also a hard winter environment such as the north b/c they aren't used to either.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's hard to reply when you put your quotes in with mine.

Anyway, the average maximum July temp. at the LA civic center is still a comfortable 84 degrees.

If you go by hours of sunshine, which many Meteorologists do, you will discover that the percentage of possible sunshine in LA is quite high.

My point still stands, too. Which is you have to dress properly for practically any type of weather. You don't wear shorts in 20 degree weather or a heavy coat in 80 degree weather.

"This" what? Los Angeles is a semi-arid climate, not a desert climate. No area within the Los Angeles city limits is an arid (desert) climate.
Los Angeles is large, the amount of precipitation is very low, because te city is spread out East to West instead of North to South, the precipitation will vary greatly.

//www.city-data.com/forum/14189701-post1098.html

Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Los Angeles is large, the amount of precipitation is very low, because te city is spread out East to West instead of North to South, the precipitation will vary greatly.

//www.city-data.com/forum/14189701-post1098.html
Compared to Phoenix (average annual precipitation: 8.29 inches) the amount of precipitation is very high!

Precipitation does vary greatly (another bonus of the LA area), but when one mentions the average annual precipitation of LA, the correct figure to use is the LA Civic Center.

Just like when mentioning the record maximum temperature (112 degrees). That is the record maximum recorded at downtown LA and is the data used for "record maximum temperature at Los Angeles."

Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highandfive View Post
Dementor? Dementor would eat you alive by now.

I do however find it hard to imagine that anybody who spent any time in Chicago would claim that harsh winterers do not affect the quality of life: Seasonal Affective Disorder, shuffling snow from your driveway and driving in the snow are neither urban myths not quality of life enhancing factors. Of course you can get used to it, after all people live in even harsher climates, yet Chicago winters are nothing to brag about and definetely a selling point for Chicago.
Dementor,
I'm going to answer every question you have ever asked me.

The celebrities who live in Chicago;

- Micheal Jordan
- Buddy Holly
- Richie Valens
- Christopher Wallace
- Paul Newman
- George Burns
- Katie Curick
- Ernie Banks
- Buddy Guy
- R. Kelley
- Ken Giffey Jr.
- Vince Vaughn (Secondary home)
- Jerry Springer
- Oprah Winfrey (She's keeping her place here)
- Betty Ford (President Ford's wife)
- So many others

I shouldn't have to write it all out because one guy is lazy and gets up every morning with the sole purpose of bashing Chicago; here you can find celebrities in Chicago from nearly any category.
Chicago's key cultural players - Time Out Chicago (http://chicago.timeout.com/articles/cultural-heroes/62591/chicagos-key-cultural-players - broken link)
I suggest you check it out.
Chicago is in the top 5 cities in the country for celebrities to own a residency and live.

Next you asked me what restaurants Chicago has to offer the rest of the world with your old screen name "TotheT" and by the time I had it researched you were banned again, so I'll post it out for you.

- Unos (National chain) based in Chicago
- Harding restaurant company
- Roth restaurants company
- Marquis restaurant company
- Berghoff restaurant company
- Hot Wok restaurant chain
Oh, and lets not forget the famous pizza style that traveled to all corners of the country. Houston we have 11 restaurants for Chicago style. I think that's a massive contribution.

7,303 known restaurants that come from a restaurant company in the Chicago area.

Diversity of food, basically can find any kind of food you're looking for.
Chicago, IL Restaurants

Ordinarily ranks with NYC and San Francisco for best dining cities in the USA.

Those would be some.

Chicago is one of the Big 3 cities when it comes to skyline mass, along with NYC, and Hong Kong. Overall it is the tallest of the three, but also the middle one by mass numbers of buildings.

Other contributions;
- Walgreens pharmacy
- Boeing
- United Airlines (Now the largest airlines in USA)
- Accenture (American base to one of the leading SAP companies)
- Microsoft's second largest employment base after Seattle.

Chicago has the most sister cities in the world, it's got 28, far more than any other US city and way more than NYC. It's got a partner city relationship with Paris. And it also has one friendship city.
How's that for the world trying to establish connections with Chicago?
If you go to O'Hare International airport you'll see the flags of all the country that have a sister city with Chicago.

There's more to Chicago than Oprah, the city has existed nearly a century or more before she was even born. In which it was the second largest city in USA for numerous decades.

At a point it was also the fastest growing city in the country, the rate of it's growth has still yet to be matched with any other city. The only city coming significantly close being Las Vegas.

Devon Avenue is an ethnic enclave for Jewish American's, Russian American's, and South Asians. Many argue that it is not even comparable by the South Asian enclaves in New Jersey.
Devon Avenue (Chicago) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Check it out, reading will do you some good.

As for Chicago's impact on the world;
- Birth of the skyscraper, all the cities you see today with skyscrapers even LA, it's all going back to Chicago. In 1885.
- McDonald's is the most recognized logo in food industry in the world, and possibly the most recognized logo in general.
- Chicago's been a popular destination for movie's. Batman TDK, it could only been shot in three cities in the world, Hong Kong, NYC, or Chicago. Because Gotham has to look like a monster city skyscraper wise. Chicago fit the bill quite nicely.
- Chicago has contributed quite a lot, especially due to hosting the world fair before in the past.
- Chicago is the more prominent business location in USA after NYC. Companies like Accenture base their American headquarters from Europe in Chicago.
- It's a been a popular destination for mergers and relocations; Boeing and Continental Airlines would be an example of that.

The way I view Chicago is like this;
If Chicago were a fictional character, it would be Bruce Wayne, it hides behind the mask and changes it's world for the better. Batman is perceived as a vigilante by some, menace by others, and a saviors by the rest.
Chicago isn't a destination for Angelino's, it's a threat for financial cities across the world, and it's home for nearly 10 million people. McDonald's is all across the world, it's more known than Hollywood, but most people don't even know it's Chicago headquarters. That's why Chicago is Bruce Wayne.

Chicago has been good to me, it's not cool when you kick it around like it's some 3rd world country.

Oprah might be in California but she kept her residence here as well, I live in Houston and we (my parents) kept our residence here, right now I'm living in Chicago for a few months, I'm sure Oprah does the same thing as well.

I can go on and on all day long about Chicago but I'm going to stop right there, because right now it's like kicking someone when they're down, I'm only posting half of my typed work right now, when you get back to CD Dementor be sure to hit me up. I'll post the second half, which will be waiting for you in my word template on my hard drive.

As for those of you talking about weather, give it a break, you discussing weather isn't going to change the weather of either city.
Your just wasting your time talking about something you don't have control over.
Talk about other things, even though this thread is a dead end. You can name infinite things about both cities that would make one better than the other, it's never ending.

Save yourselves some time and look to another thread. This one is a stalemate no matter what the poll says. This is possibly the greatest example of the most subjective topic you can have in city comparison's.
Chicago VS. Los Angeles. Lol, I like Chicago more. Some like LA more, anything wrong with that? No, move on people... now we're talking about which city is smarter than the other, and how Phoenix desert climate's and things like that. LOL, really people?

Old 05-15-2010, 05:22 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,204 times
Default Los Angeles baby no. 1

Chicago can't beat this

Old 05-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Chicago can't beat this

That 3rd picture looks awesome!

But you're kidding right? Skyline, that's a Chicago domination. Totally Chicago's department.

You guys have great beaches and a moderate skyline, we have a great skyline and moderate beaches.

Please tell me how LA's skyline beats this? And this isn't even the best picture.

Lol, I like LA, really really much, but it doesn't win in every category, same with Chicago. And if you think it does, then you're delusional my friend.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
That 3rd picture looks awesome!

But you're kidding right? Skyline, that's a Chicago domination. Totally Chicago's department.

You guys have great beaches and a moderate skyline, we have a great skyline and moderate beaches.

Please tell me how LA's skyline beats this? And this isn't even the best picture.

Lol, I like LA, really really much, but it doesn't win in every category, same with Chicago. And if you think it does, then you're delusional my friend.

that picture messed up my loading speeds, but skyline wise Chicago does win I agree.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
that picture messed up my loading speeds, but skyline wise Chicago does win I agree.
Yeah and Natural Scenery is definitely LA's department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City