Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Taking bets as to how long this incarnation of Dementor is going to last until getting banned AGAIN?

I say a couple hours tops.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:00 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby01 View Post
The question is why did you make a claim of Chicago being in the top five if you did not have a good source and simply copied info from some website, as you stated yourself. Why make up false claims?

The point whowever is not that Chicago has less celebrities than LA or NYC or Hamptons and Scottsdale but why is Chicago, supposedly blessed with supreme culture and urban amenities, not able to attract any talented and succesful people. Why is Chicago considered so unatractive by the affluent and creative types?

If you read the highlighted portion, I would not find myself to be at fault for your accusation of "false claims".

Tell me, in that case why are the following cities the same as Chicago, lacking celebrities;

Dallas
Minneapolis
Oklahoma City
San Deigo
Philadelphia
Boston
Washington DC

And those are just for starters, I would like to know what it is about celebrities that makes them go to places like LA and NYC.

Maybe because that's where they work... might have something to do with it.

Maybe just maybe.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Well if you took votes from all the people living in LA and Chicago LA would won (real life). If you took votes from the affluent, talented and succesful in both cities LA would win again. This is how representative of general population the audience of city-data really is
I voted for LA.

I love Chicago, home, but the only reason I'm coming off as a "Chicago boaster" to you is because you're kicking it around like it's never been anything worth mentioning.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:04 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I voted for LA.

I love Chicago, home, but the only reason I'm coming off as a "Chicago boaster" to you is because you're kicking it around like it's never been anything worth mentioning.
This is true, a lot of the LA boosters like to kick everywhere else, some Chicago boosters too. I personally prefer Chicago because I like trains and snow :P

Rich and famous people aren't the only people.

There's a lot more of us ugly, working-class folk than you pretty people out there!

On that note, why in the world is this thread of repetitive drivelling troll nonsense still open?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
But LA has more of those. Including the creative types working in media. Is there anything wrong with media and arts or you just don't like culture in general?
I like culture just fine, what I don't care for is the drivel that Hollywood turns out. The difference being I know the difference between "Culture" and "Popular Media". A simple concept I see you fail to grasp.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Really? You listed some dead people like Newman, Valense as celebrities living in Chicago. You listed Betty Ford living Ca as Chicago celebrity. Wasn't that a false claim?
She was born in Chi, and might've opened some Betty Ford Center in Mirage, CA but she lived in Chi.

Betty Ford: Biography from Answers.com

Brush up, Google her location.

They're dead, but how does that mean that they weren't allowed to own real estate in Chi?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Born, have lived, or live in Chicago;

List of people from Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

PS. Why would you care where someone would like to live? I thought this was what this poll was going to establish.
I don't care where someone lives. You do- the celebrities. I could do without them. They don't make a city great.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Am I the only one getting sick about all this talk about celebrities? Who freakin' cares! I've lived in LA for a huge bulk of my life, and never thought about them that much. Are our lives so empty that you're reduced to talking about people that you'll probably never meet and don't care about you? Do you really think celebrities spend this much time talking about John Doe walking down the street? Probably not, so why should we care about them?

Los Angeles is way more than Hollywood and celebrities. Good for the top 1% of the social world for making it so far, but what about the rest of us peasants who live in the flatlands of LA? Why can't WE get any recognition? Maybe it doesn't matter, because I'll be an insignificant peon for the rest of my life. Oh well!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Am I the only one getting sick about all this talk about celebrities? Who freakin' cares! I've lived in LA for a huge bulk of my life, and never thought about them that much. Are our lives so empty that you're reduced to talking about people that you'll probably never meet and don't care about you? Do you really think celebrities spend this much time talking about John Doe walking down the street? Probably not, so why should we care about them?

Los Angeles is way more than Hollywood and celebrities. Good for the top 1% of the social world for making it so far, but what about the rest of us peasants who live in the flatlands of LA? Why can't WE get any recognition? Maybe it doesn't matter, because I'll be an insignificant peon for the rest of my life. Oh well!
You do! I'm normally a big fan of your posts!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 3,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Am I the only one getting sick about all this talk about celebrities? Who freakin' cares!

Isn't the fact that the affluent, talented and famous prefer LA over Chicago indicative of anything? It's like a real life poll. Guess who wins
As a matter of fact the real life growth rates of both cities clearly indicate LA is preferred over Chicago by the common folk as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City