Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Actually it's not nonsense. Take it from a logistics and aerospace engineer - myself. Think of it this way - if more people are choosing to stay on the East or West coast, for obvious reasons of tourism, why bother continuing to Chicago?
That was the point. Chicago is not that popular with international tourists, hence less international arrivals. You do not have to be an "aerospace engineer" to figure this out.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
There's people who still don't have dementor ignored? He's literally been caught red-handed in his lies- why would anyone listen to him at this point? He doesn't live in Chicago- he never has. Mods have verified this through IP testing and said that "lying" isn't against TOS. Come on people.
He lives in White Plains with his parents. He enjoys petting zoos. He has an unhealthy, insecure hate of Chicago and an unhealthy, strange love for sock shopping. He is 13 years old. He is not very bright.

End of story.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 AM

177 posts, read 479,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
barack obama only worked in chicago for awhile, he is not from there, nor did he go to undergrad or law school there..., the blues are from the south, architecture is not from Chicago
I'll give you oprah... but... that is just one star... la has thousands.
Obama is clearly a Chicagoan, sorry but you (and everyone else on this board that says the same thing) need to get that through your skull, please! He is a writer and politican FROM Chicago. When a man represents an area or city in government for over 13 years in state or federal government, and also represents that city as an organizer, activist and lawyer for an additional 13 years (he has lived in Chicago for over 25 years, over half his life), meanwhile teaches at a university in that city for 12 years, is married there (with a woman from there), and starts his family there - where else is he from at this point? He obviously grew up somewhere else (Hawaii and Indonesia), but the man and political figure we have come to define as Barack Obama was created in the city of Chicago. He still keeps his home here, he put down his roots here. Have you read his autobiography? Who the hell was he before he moved to Chicago after his undergrad? He was a kid, a young man. No one even heard of him, and 90% of the reason he is president now is the city he carved his entire career and adult persona out of, and the community he became a part of that helped thrust him to the state and national spotlight.

Oprah grew up in Mississippi, Milwaukee and Tennessee. According to you, I guess shes not from Chicago either, even though she defined her career here, and claims this city and no other.

Also FYI,
The Chicago Blues, a clearly defined style of music, are from Chicago.
Chicago blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chicago School of Architecture is an architectural style developed in Chicago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago..._(architecture)

Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
Obama is clearly a Chicagoan, sorry but you (and everyone else on this board that says the same thing) need to get that through your skull, please! He is a writer and politican FROM Chicago. When a man represents an area or city in government for over 13 years in state or federal government, and also represents that city as an organizer, activist and lawyer for an additional 13 years (he has lived in Chicago for over 25 years, over half his life), meanwhile teaches at a university in that city for 12 years, is married there (with a woman from there), and starts his family there - where else is he from at this point? He obviously grew up somewhere else (Hawaii and Indonesia), but the man and political figure we have come to define as Barack Obama was created in the city of Chicago. He still keeps his home here, he put down his roots here. Have you read his autobiography? Who the hell was he before he moved to Chicago after his undergrad? He was a kid, a young man. No one even heard of him, and 90% of the reason he is president now is the city he carved his entire career and adult persona out of, and the community he became a part of that helped thrust him to the state and national spotlight.
Obama calls himself a Chicagoan, and I suppose he'd know better than anyone else. Many famous people are born in one place and reach distinction somewhere else.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Obama calls himself a Chicagoan, and I suppose he'd know better than anyone else. Many famous people are born in one place and reach distinction somewhere else.
I doubt he would spend the winter in Chicago.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
He did for many years...

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

177 posts, read 479,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Yeah right, except he's already spent over 20 of them here.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm sure Houston, Texas would be much more appealing to him.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yea, I'm sure Houston, Texas would be much more appealing to him.
Where did he spend Christmas again?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Where did he spend Christmas again?
What exactly does that have to do with anything? I spent Christmas in New Jersey, but I don't live there nor do I consider myself a New Jerseyite (New Jerseian?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City