Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
What exactly does that have to do with anything? I spent Christmas in New Jersey, but I don't live there nor do I consider myself a New Jerseyite (New Jerseian?)
He went back to his birthplace of Hawaii. Chicago is not a place to vacation in the winter.

Apparently he doesn't like Washington D.C. for some reason.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
He went back to his birthplace of Hawaii. Chicago is not a place to vacation in the winter.

Apparently he doesn't like Washington D.C. for some reason.
So, by your logic, unless a Chicagoan stays in Chicago for Christmas, he/she isn't a real Chicagoan. Makes sense to me.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
So, by your logic, unless a Chicagoan stays in Chicago for Christmas, he/she isn't a real Chicagoan. Makes sense to me.
Actually winter is a great excuse to go home to " go somewhere exotic like Hawaii."

But back to the original question...he may live in Chicago but think about why does he live there and does he even want to be there?

He's a politician...he knows he needs to appeal to the Great Middle if he ever runs for president. Living in Chicago for two decades gives him a great ethos to start out stump speeches to Plains farmers.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
Quote:
Actually winter is a great excuse to go home to " go somewhere exotic like Hawaii."

But back to the original question...he may live in Chicago but think about why does he live there and does he even want to be there?

He's a politician...he knows he needs to appeal to the Great Middle if he ever runs for president. Living in Chicago for two decades gives him a great ethos to start out stump speeches to Plains farmers.
Does it matter why he calls Chicago home? People move to Chicago...and to NYC...and to Houston for 1001 different reasons. He seems to genuinely like Hyde Park, its a gem of a neighborhood, especially for liberal black professionals. Are you so biased as to believe that no one truly likes living here?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,032 times
Now we're debating why Obama lived in Chicago? No one should feel they have to defend that - he could have lived anywhere. He chose to live where he lived.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Quote:

It looks like you've finally uncovered Obama's master plan. He lived in misery for twenty years in Chicago in order to get where he is today. Every morning he woke up and looked in the mirror, wondering whether or not he should hang himself...and then he said, "No, in twenty years, I'll be president because I'll get the middle America vote for suffering in this godforsaken town".

If I remember correctly, during the campaign weren't news anchors joking that Obama loved Chicago so much that if he were elected he would try to move the nations capital to Chicago?

It seems like some of the Houston forumers have some serious penis envy when it comes to Chi-town...you're not fooling anyone to think that Houston is anywhere near as good as Chicago, so just give it up. Houston is cool in its own right, but they're just not on the same level.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM

322 posts, read 797,353 times
seriously, from a californian's perspective...before i came to this forum I never considered chic as a "big city" like NYC or L.A ..it was just another midwestern town like cleveland or milwaukee to me and to many I know . sure you have some big buildings etc but maybe you had to have grown up on the coasts(i.e not in chic) to realize how little anyone knows/cares about Chic in America alone...so don't get mad when we say your city isn't big on an "international scale" no matter how many WHITE euro's live there

Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,910,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
seriously, from a californian's perspective...before i came to this forum I never considered chic as a "big city" like NYC or L.A ..it was just another midwestern town like cleveland or milwaukee to me and to many I know . sure you have some big buildings etc but maybe you had to have grown up on the coasts(i.e not in chic) to realize how little anyone knows/cares about Chic in America alone...so don't get mad when we say your city isn't big on an "international scale" no matter how many WHITE euro's live there
You people really need to expand your horizons. Every city town in America is unique and cool. I never met anybody in my architectural curriculums that would actually say they never thought about or considered a certain city (especailly America's 3rd largest, or second most structurally dense). Some people on this forum need to realize that there is more to this world than your regional area.

If you had a chance to go to, lets say; Louisville, Kentucky to see what it is like, would you? Just curious.

Also, what is Chic? I thought you were talking about some posh clothing style there for a few seconds.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Someone who thinks Chicago is no more relevant than Milwaukee or Cleveland is pretty misinformed. People in most cities don't sit around thinking of other cities - that's normal. For Chicago to not be a part of your thought process, that's normal as well. Why would it be? Don't presume that you speak for everyone in California, however. Most people know (hopefully) that it's a "big city". If they don't, your school system is failing. Chicago is big on an "international scale." Just because you (and a few other Chicago bashers) don't think so, doesn't make it so.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM

85 posts, read 166,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Now we're debating why Obama lived in Chicago? No one should feel they have to defend that - he could have lived anywhere. He chose to live where he lived.

Oh please! Who the HELL Cares!?

Really who cares if Obama chose to live in the windy city? Does it mean we have to flock there in droves NO!!!!! Bush lived in Texas, but you never seen anyone care about that eigther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City