Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
chicago sucks ass.

i didn't know anyone cared about chicago until I started reading this forum.
Insightful!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
chicago sucks ass.

i didn't know anyone cared about chicago until I started reading this forum.
It's probably because this is your only contact with people from other areas of the country. Imagine that?

Chicago is in Illinois, btw. And Illinois is in the United States of America.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Chicago gave the world the skyscraper. That alone shows you how much of an impact the Chi has on the world.
Right. And this happend when? More than hudread years ago?
The ten story steel frame buidling regarded as first skyscraper, happened to be first built in Chicago but it could have been New York, which have more skyscrapers today than any other city in the US.
Anyways, the origin of skyscrapers together with World Fairs is very very old news. How many generations can relive former glory?

If we are talking about the present then Chicago's impact on world outside is limited to finance and even in that field it is not number one, losing to New York.
LA on the other hand is an undisputed king of filmmaking, not only in the US but world-wide. There is nothing of that magnitude happening in Chicago. Let's face it.
Chicago maybe in top tier in many aspects (it's the third largest city in the US after all) yet it does not have that single "cutting edge" where it could claim world domination and made it really relevant world-wide.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
It's probably because this is your only contact with people from other areas of the country. Imagine that?

Not really... Chicago simply very seldom makes the national news. Most recently it was Obama and Blago but other than this there is not much exciting happening in Chicago to make it an interesting topic of discussions or a media news flash. The world is not watching Chicago like it is watching New York's United Nations, Wall Street and Broadway or LA's Hollywood and film industry.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
As an urban center, with a dense core, walkable neighborhoods, large downtown, and mass transit, Chicago is second only to NYC in the US (with SF and maybe DC or Philly as honorable mentions). Anyone who visits Chicago would see why it is considered highly on an urban forum. LA is a great city too, and I have nothing against it, but in terms of urbanity it is a bit lacking for its size.

I believe in terms of cultural relevance LA is certainly higher in the eyes of most americans, particularly with regards to pop culture. It is also the second largest metro area, and city proper. However, in some ways below the surface Chicago has contributed a vast amount to our nation as well; its one of two major stock exchanges, the second largest finance sector, and other less known cultural contributions as well.

I simply chose Chicago on this poll because I prefer it as a city. LA is a great city with great qualities (namely the weather, sights, entertainment, population and food diversity, hot women etc), but the autocentric lifestyle, decentralized nature, and vastness of its suburban satellite areas, is not as appealing to me as Chicago, NYC, and some other older eastern cities. LA is not just a big suburb, and has many dense areas and neighborhoods as well. However, the relatively poor public transit system access and autocentric nature does take away from the quality of life IMO.

BTW - what a silly, biased way to start a thread!
Actually SF is second to NYC for those categories, it wins in density, walkable neighborhoods, chicago has bigger cbd and better mass transit.
That being said I'd take Chicago over L.A., just not a fan. Yeah LA has more going on, better weather, etc. just not the stuff I'm interested in or living in. I hate HAVING to have a car. I like VERY urban areas to work and play i.e. (SF/Boston/NYC/Chicago/Paris/London/Madrid) I've lived in several different "style" cities and visited most of them, the quality of life I have in very urban cities is absolutely worth it to me. I don't want to worry about high electric bills, mowing a lawn, having a car, long commute times, bad public transportation, spending time running errands around the city, not getting a lot of daily walking in for my exercise, etc. etc.

Last edited by grapico; 05-12-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

25 posts, read 61,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

no...it's just that people who live in places like California have things to do with our lives than live on this forum. it seems like everyone on here is from them illinois, nebraska, indiana/i.e. ugly, cold mid western places who will vote their decaying cities above everywhere else.

i would probably be bored and spend my life on here too if i lived there. Chicago is the ugliest and coldest big city ive ever been to..its so gritty and nasty and everyone there is so ugly. no wonder they all dream of living in CA.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
no...it's just that people who live in places like California have things to do with our lives than live on this forum. it seems like everyone on here is from them illinois, nebraska, indiana/i.e. ugly, cold mid western places who will vote their decaying cities above everywhere else.

i would probably be bored and spend my life on here too if i lived there. Chicago is the ugliest and coldest big city ive ever been to..its so gritty and nasty and everyone there is so ugly. no wonder they all dream of living in CA.
10 post? what was your name before you got banned and resigned up?

Maybe you just created an account to type ignorant childish comments on places you probably never traveled to. If you are new, why do people like you keep coming to this forum, instead of smart, well traveled, open minded individuals. I just don't get it. No offense or anything, btw.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM

25 posts, read 61,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
10 post? what was your name before you got banned and resigned up?

Maybe you just created an account to type ignorant childish comments on places you probably never traveled to. If you are new, why do people like you keep coming to this forum, instead of smart, well traveled, open minded individuals. I just don't get it. No offense or anything, btw.
ive been to Chicago once and it was just ugly and disgusting....it was in februrary and even more depressing. people were ugly and overweight had pasty skin. it's rough city.

i coldn't wait to get home.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 PM

People actually gave this guy rep points. LOL. Keep it real man! Tell it as it is! The sillyness this forum is turning into is actually highly entertaining.

Hey WestsideLA, what do you think of my city of Pittsburgh?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Right. And this happend when? More than hudread years ago?
The ten story steel frame buidling regarded as first skyscraper, happened to be first built in Chicago but it could have been New York, which have more skyscrapers today than any other city in the US.
Anyways, the origin of skyscrapers together with World Fairs is very very old news. How many generations can relive former glory?

If we are talking about the present then Chicago's impact on world outside is limited to finance and even in that field it is not number one, losing to New York.
LA on the other hand is an undisputed king of filmmaking, not only in the US but world-wide. There is nothing of that magnitude happening in Chicago. Let's face it.
Chicago maybe in top tier in many aspects (it's the third largest city in the US after all) yet it does not have that single "cutting edge" where it could claim world domination and made it really relevant world-wide.
St. Louis and Detroit were pretty dominant back then too...Honestly they both have a lot of amazing history and architecture themselves, but who wants to live there outside of people who grew up there? I'm not equating Chicago to these cities, but this same concept can be applied to a lesser extent. LA passed up Chicago in the 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City