Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Wow, why would you even put Chicago in the same league as LA. LA is IMMENSELY>>>>>> than Chicago
LOL, you're just saying that because Houston is a miniature LA.

Okay, I'll go read the thread now.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Right. And this happend when? More than hudread years ago?
The ten story steel frame buidling regarded as first skyscraper, happened to be first built in Chicago but it could have been New York, which have more skyscrapers today than any other city in the US.
Anyways, the origin of skyscrapers together with World Fairs is very very old news. How many generations can relive former glory?

If we are talking about the present then Chicago's impact on world outside is limited to finance and even in that field it is not number one, losing to New York.
LA on the other hand is an undisputed king of filmmaking, not only in the US but world-wide. There is nothing of that magnitude happening in Chicago. Let's face it.
Chicago maybe in top tier in many aspects (it's the third largest city in the US after all) yet it does not have that single "cutting edge" where it could claim world domination and made it really relevant world-wide.
Okay, so let's get this straight. Chicago is more important in finance. LA is more important in entertainment (NOT culture. Entertainment does not equal culture).

Finance is more important than Entertainment. Therefore, Chicago is more important than LA.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllNoize View Post
..."influx of caucasion middle americans" and "no sense of culture"?

Chicago has the fifth highest foreign-born population in the country.

Chicago has the second highest Polish population in the world outside of Warsaw

The city has a large population of Bulgarians (about 200,000+), Lithuanians,Croats, the second largest Serbian,and the third largest Greek population of any city in the world

Chicago has the second largest Serbian,and the third largest Greek population of any city in the world.

The city also has a large Assyrian population, numbering as many as 80,000 and is the location of the seat of the head of the Assyrian Church of the East

The city is the home to a large Romanian American community with more than 100,000

Chicago has the third largest South Asian American population in the country, after New York City and San Francisco.

Chicago has the second-largest Puerto Rican population in the continental United States,after New York City, and the second largest Mexican population in the United States after Los Angeles.

Chicago is the center of the Palestinian and Jordanian immigrant communities in the United States. There are about 185,000 Arabs in Cook County with another 75,000 in the five surrounding counties

Chicago's largest white ethnic community are of German origin.

Chicago has the third largest Italian American population in the United States, behind only New York and Philadelphia.

At the turn of the 20th century, Chicago was the third-largest Czech city in the world, after Prague and Vienna

The Chicago metropolitan area has the second largest African American population, behind only New York City

Chicago has the largest population of Swedish Americans of any city in the U.S.
Dude, I'm totally quoting this in the "Which is more diverse: Houston, LA, or Chicago?" thread.
Awesome stats.

See it here.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Let me guess. You're dementor's country mouse, skateboarding cousin. You're from San Bernadino, you just turned 14. You're starting to get into Green Day and you still think skateboards are cool because it fits the "LA lifestyle" you so want to be part of.

You don't know very much beyond the sprawl that surrounds you, nor do you have any interest or care to learn. Chicago is that big city in the Midwest that you hear a lot about, but you're so insular that you don't bother to expand your learning. Like dementor, you're really into "celebrities!" and "cool media types" and your favorite show is TMZ. You think have a wonderful life set up for you on the west coast. However one day, you will feel a bolt of enlightenment (maybe in a civics class next year) out of the blue, you'll poke your head out under the bag that is over your head and feel a new world of opportunity and responsibility.

I shared this same advice and counsel with dementor. He has yet to take it. I think because he's too busy putting me on his ignore list for his multiple aliases. I'm actually wondering if you're one.
BigLake, did you finally give in and ignore him too? I have taken him off, now. He's so hilarious! I was just reading through the forum, and I didn't look at any of the names, just their words. Every so often I would get to a post and be like, "Whoa, this person has some serious mental problems. What the F is he even talking about? That's not true. That's not even sensical. Is that even English?" Finally, I checked out the name of the person who was writing all this drivel. Guess who it was!

...drumroll please...

Mister White Plains Congeniality, live from New York...er, State!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
That was amazing. I don't think it's favored to win though. Rio has pretty much claimed it =T
Am I the only Chicagoan who really, truly hopes we do NOT get the Olympics?

By the way, you guys are hilarious. I want to rep you, but I have to spread out the love some more before I can. Only one problem: who else am I supposed to rep?

The Chicago people are the only ones making any sense around here.

By the way, isn't it hilarious how Dementor will join any conversation, I mean ANY conversation, as long as it offers an opportunity to insult the great City in a Garden? Imagine what he would be like at a party. You and your friends are standing around, talking, and out of nowhere comes this scrawny, pimply teenager, interrupting you and telling you how wrong you are for liking your home city. What do you think would happen to him at that party?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I think it's even money at this point.

Pros/Cons

Tokyo:
Pros: Tokyo has the infrastructure, venues and financial guarantees.
Cons: Lacking local support (though improving) and Beijing had 2008.

Madrid:
Pros: Good infrastructure, they have bid recently and learned from experience. Never had games.
Cons: London

Chicago:
Pros: Strong leadership, enticing world powerhouse city that has never had the games, centralized plan. good time zone, Americanboy is against us.
Cons: No financial guarantee; poor transit in comparison; needs to build some venues

Rio
Pros: exotic city, S. America has never hosted
Cons: already hosting World Cup in 2104, crime, seen as under-developed, lack of financial guarantee, decentralized plan

Check out Gamesbids.com. Tokyo leads now (fwiw), but Chicago has led for most of the time.
"AmericanBoy is against us." Oh my gosh, I'm seriously LOLing OMG JK WTF BRB!!!1!11!

LA has exelent infanstructure and Chicago is a cornbread cornpone corn field with pore infanstructure!

Come on you guys come on I'm important and White Plains has buildings and culture and infanstructure and everything! New York City please mary me I'll be your boyfriend and White Plains and Chicago sucks come on come on get serious come on waaaaaAAAAAAAA!!!!@1111!1223

Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Straight up as a new yorker i respect chicago. New yorkers dont mess with LA like that. So all this NYC/LA ganging up on chicago stuff needs to end. Real new yorkers respect chicago. Its one of the only cities that has its own distinctive flavor and new yorkers respect that because we are the same way. Real talk Chicago is better than LA. New york and chicagos cultures arent defined by TV and HOLLYWOOD but by the PEOPLE
LOL Dementor thinks that if he says such urban phrases as "real talk" and "straight up," we will all think he is a black New Yorker from the Bronx.

Gotta admit, though, while he is still drooling all over NYC, it is kind of a relief to see him give props to Chicago.

I'm still reading through this thread, though--playing catchup. Let's see if this continues.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Thanks for setting the record straight. California was being explored & settled when Chicago\ Illinois didn't even exist besides being a remote outpost of the French Canadians. Los Angeles has a richer history than Chicago. The actual battle over California conquered by the U.S occurred in Los Angeles \Paso de Cahenga. Spain developed California w/ the establishment of 21 missions from San Diego to Sonoma. The pueblo of Los Angeles remained a minor city in the shadow of San Francisco until the early 20th century. All of this started at the same time the Revolutionary war was being waged. California has the oldest state history minus the 13 Colonies.
Chicago arrived later on the American scene but was quickly populated in comparison to LA. Chicago was the second largest US cities for more than a century. Los Angeles exceeded Chicago's population in the 1960's, right?
Alright, as a history teacher, I am afraid I cannot let this slide. Los Angeles has had a more rich history than Chicago? Are you sure you want to argue this?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Chicago is a way more dominent city than dc. If they were to move the nations politics to another city, DC would be left with nothing. Chicago is way more important as a global city than dc
Holy crap! Dementor's alter ego has had a complete change of heart! This is incredible. It's as if all the good about Chicago has steeped into his brain, and marinated there, and now it's developed into a whole 'nother personality--it's completely autonomous from his other self.

Keep it up, "King of New York!" Let's see how far you can take this. Tell us some more about how great Chicago is.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:23 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Okay, so let's get this straight. Chicago is more important in finance. LA is more important in entertainment (NOT culture. Entertainment does not equal culture).

Finance is more important than Entertainment. Therefore, Chicago is more important than LA.
LOL.

Chicago is a local Midwestern peepsqeak while LA is internationally renowned center of business and media. Keep dreaming.

PS. Did you find Times Square in Chicago yet???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City