Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAITIAN17 View Post
first off f-u-c-k chicago , and aint no way in hell chicago has warmer summers then nyc , nyc has heat waves all the time, s-h-i-t we had a heat wave in freakin april for a whole weekend, shut up u chicago punk , chicago is home to p-u-s-si-e-s , yall stink , yall cant dress, and yall hoods are filled with crackheads that look like their more hungry for crack
Dude the only one around here that's on crack is you. Chicago is warmer in the summer. It's colder in the winter. The ocean has an affect on climates of cities like NYC and Boston, which makes our environments more temperate (although just barely in our case). Nobody here gives a crap about what's kickin in da hood. Way to talk trash on an online forum. Are you going to get all your gangsta friends to join the board so you can find some fool from Chicago and give him a propa NY virtual beatdown?!

Now go back to watching MTV Yo! and let the big boys talk.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wait, are you claiming I'm an alter-ego of Dementor? I've been defending Chicago on several threads. I also acknowledged that Chicago was the highest trading city in quantity (volume). There is no doubt that Chicago is the king of commodities. However, just because there is a higher volume does not necessarily mean its more powerful or deals with a higher dollar value of trades.

Got this from Investopedia:
The Future: World Parity?
The NYSE is still the largest and, arguably, most powerful stock exchange in the world. The Nasdaq has more companies listed, but the NYSE has a
market capitalization that is larger than Tokyo, London and the Nasdaq combined - and the merger with Euronext will make it larger still. The NYSE, once closely tied to the fortunes of failures of the American economy, is now global. Although the other stock exchanges in the world have grown stronger through mergers and the development of their domestic economies, it is difficult to see how any of them will dislodge the 800-pound gorilla that is the New York Stock Exchange.

From NYSE.com:
NYSE Euronext is the world's largest cash equities market. The aggregate market cap of our listed issuers is greater than that of the next four largest exchanges combined. That's why more than one-third of the world's cash equities trading takes place on NYSE Euronext markets. Our global trading platform offers the most liquid trading venue for the trading of equity products in addition to innovative services and partnerships for sophisticated equity trading worldwide.

From Reuters:

1. NYSE (NYX.N) (NYX.PA) $21.79
2. Nasdaq Stock Market $11.81
3. London Stock Exchange (LSE.L) $7.57
4. Tokyo Stock Exchange TSE.UL $5.82
5. Euronext (NYX.PA) (NYX.N) $3.85
6. Deutsche Boerse (DB1Gn.DE) $2.74
7. BME Spanish Exchanges (BME.MC) $1.93
8. Borsa Italiana $1.59
9. Swiss Exchange $1.40
10. Korea Stock Exchange $1.34
11. OMX OMX.ST $1.33
12. TSX (X.TO) (Toronto) $1.28
Source: World Federation of Exchanges Web site

Not to call you out, but earlier in this thread you said you were a history teacher (post #298)...are you a teacher and work in Financial Services? Again, I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just interested because I also work in the Financial Services industry (State Street Bank), and I'm taking the CFA Exam in 3 weeks.
LOL no, I'm not claiming that. I'm going to go back and read the rest of your post now.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
NYC is way more humid than Chicago in the summer. It's no comparison. In NY, we say "Que Calor!"

Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Wait, are you claiming I'm an alter-ego of Dementor? I've been defending Chicago on several threads. I also acknowledged that Chicago was the highest trading city in quantity (volume). There is no doubt that Chicago is the king of commodities. However, just because there is a higher volume does not necessarily mean its more powerful or deals with a higher dollar value of trades.

The NYSE is still the largest and, arguably, most powerful stock exchange in the world. The Nasdaq has more companies listed, but the NYSE has a
market capitalization that is larger than Tokyo, London and the Nasdaq combined - and the merger with Euronext will make it larger still. The NYSE, once closely tied to the fortunes of failures of the American economy, is now global. Although the other stock exchanges in the world have grown stronger through mergers and the development of their domestic economies, it is difficult to see how any of them will dislodge the 800-pound gorilla that is the New York Stock Exchange.

From NYSE.com:
NYSE Euronext is the world's largest cash equities market. The aggregate market cap of our listed issuers is greater than that of the next four largest exchanges combined. That's why more than one-third of the world's cash equities trading takes place on NYSE Euronext markets. Our global trading platform offers the most liquid trading venue for the trading of equity products in addition to innovative services and partnerships for sophisticated equity trading worldwide.

From Reuters:

8. Borsa Italiana $1.59
9. Swiss Exchange $1.40
11. OMX OMX.ST $1.33

Not to call you out, but earlier in this thread you said you were a history teacher (post #298)...are you a teacher and work in Financial Services? Again, I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just interested because I also work in the Financial Services industry (State Street Bank), and I'm taking the CFA Exam in 3 weeks.
Okay, great post! Yes, the NYSE is the largest and most powerful stock exchange in the world. However, we're talking about two different things here. The issue I was addressing is number one city for trading. A city that has the largest or most-capitalized stock exchange is not necessarily the best or biggest city, overall, for trading.

To answer your question about my occupation: I currently do both. I am a financial services professional for a Fortune 100 company on Clark and Madison, and I am also a teacher of history at a college prep high school on the West Side. I am in the process of transferring out of my financial services career in order to teach full-time (supplemented by a tutoring position in Oak Park this summer, in case I mention that at some point too).

So yes, I do both!

Good luck on your CFA! If you were taking it here in Chicago, you would probably be in my building. There is a testing center on the 16th floor.

Anyway, no, of course I wasn't accusing you of being a Dementor alter-ego. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

To summarize: that the NYSE is the most valuable stock exchange in the world is beyond debate. However, Chicago's title as Number One City for Trading is something remarkable for a mid-continent city, and I am extremely proud of that!

I was merely pointing out that sometimes our expectations are different from the truth. That is one thing that Chicago is great at: exeeding expectations.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Dude the only one around here that's on crack is you. Chicago is warmer in the summer. It's colder in the winter. The ocean has an affect on climates of cities like NYC and Boston, which makes our environments more temperate (although just barely in our case). Nobody here gives a crap about what's kickin in da hood. Way to talk trash on an online forum. Are you going to get all your gangsta friends to join the board so you can find some fool from Chicago and give him a propa NY virtual beatdown?!

Now go back to watching MTV Yo! and let the big boys talk.
first of n-i-c-e post cuz! Holla holla bling bling @ ya boi fo SHOOOOO NYC r-u-l-e-z and Chicago S-U-X fo real real yo!

Haha, it's so much fun to watch civilization devolve before our eyes, isn't it?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 32,922 times
Quote:
dude the only one around here that's on crack is you. Chicago is warmer in the summer. It's colder in the winter. The ocean has an affect on climates of cities like nyc and boston, which makes our environments more temperate (although just barely in our case). Nobody here gives a crap about what's kickin in da hood. Way to talk trash on an online forum. Are you going to get all your gangsta friends to join the board so you can find some fool from chicago and give him a propa ny virtual beatdown?!

Now go back to watching mtv yo! and let the big boys talk.

was craccin homie , youve been following me all over this site, are u a ***?? Nucca i done told you , come to louis h pink houses in ny , and ill make u the next homicide of nyc, nucca, ill push yu wig back yur skull cracked with a huge hole in yur cap , come thru nucca , and i dont want mtv yo , nucca i watch spongebob and family guy nucca all day nucca

Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
was craccin homie , youve been following me all over this site, are u a ***?? Nucca i done told you , come to louis h pink houses in ny , and ill make u the next homicide of nyc, nucca, ill push yu wig back yur skull cracked with a huge hole in yur cap , come thru nucca , and i dont want mtv yo , nucca i watch spongebob and family guy nucca all day nucca
Haha--I think this is Dementor.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Okay, great post! Yes, the NYSE is the largest and most powerful stock exchange in the world. However, we're talking about two different things here. The issue I was addressing is number one city for trading. A city that has the largest or most-capitalized stock exchange is not necessarily the best or biggest city, overall, for trading.

To answer your question about my occupation: I currently do both. I am a financial services professional for a Fortune 100 company on Clark and Madison, and I am also a teacher of history at a college prep high school on the West Side. I am in the process of transferring out of my financial services career in order to teach full-time (supplemented by a tutoring position in Oak Park this summer, in case I mention that at some point too).

So yes, I do both!

Good luck on your CFA! If you were taking it here in Chicago, you would probably be in my building. There is a testing center on the 16th floor.

Anyway, no, of course I wasn't accusing you of being a Dementor alter-ego. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

To summarize: that the NYSE is the most valuable stock exchange in the world is beyond debate. However, Chicago's title as Number One City for Trading is something remarkable for a mid-continent city, and I am extremely proud of that!

I was merely pointing out that sometimes our expectations are different from the truth. That is one thing that Chicago is great at: exeeding expectations.
I agree, it's nice to have an intelligent conversation where people raising facts and good points aren't responded with "ROFL COPTER CHICAGO SUCKS" or "BLARGHHHH IF BOSTON FELL INTO THE ATLANTIC NOBODY WOULD CARE!11!!!!1!"

Thanks for the best wishes on the CFA, I haven't been studying enough, but luckily since I was a financial management major, much of what I've been reading is review (I'm currently on Level I).

I agree that people often underestimate Chicago's power and importance...especially on this board. I was in NYC this past weekend meeting up with a college buddy, and when talking to some of the people there I thought about this forum and decided to get some opinions from some people who was at the party. The ages ranged from 21-24, but basically all of the opinions were pretty positive. People weren't fawning over the city (I don't think New Yorkers fawn over many other cities; though I did find two chicks who loved Boston...followed by 10 dudes who hated it for sports reasons) but basically everyone said they liked Chicago. I think most of the negativity we hear about Chi-town comes from insecure people on this board.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:

The NYSE is still the largest and, arguably, most powerful stock exchange in the world. The Nasdaq has more companies listed, but the NYSE has a market capitalization that is larger than Tokyo, London and the Nasdaq combined - and the merger with Euronext will make it larger still. The NYSE, once closely tied to the fortunes of failures of the American economy, is now global. Although the other stock exchanges in the world have grown stronger through mergers and the development of their domestic economies, it is difficult to see how any of them will dislodge the 800-pound gorilla that is the New York Stock Exchange.

From NYSE.com:

From Reuters:

8. Borsa Italiana $1.59
9. Swiss Exchange $1.40
11. OMX OMX.ST $1.33

Are you surprised? Anyone who is not at awe of Chicago, excuse me, bashes Chicago, is one and the same person. It's a common knowledge that everybody else simply loves Chicago. chitown2pa and the ignorant yet so typical attitude he presents is one of the reasons I can't stand Chicago and MOST Chicagoans. Not to say that I haven't met some great people here. I do suspect however, that like in chitown2pa's case, most of the obnoxious Chicago boasters are folks from the suburs and transplants from Idaho.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Ok, I realize I've been had. Who's the one making up the fake gangster user name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City