Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Wait, is this serious?
Of course and if you think about it this opinion is shared by American cultural elites. There are no De Niros and Scorseses here.
Didn't you think there was a reason?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Did it ever occur to you that to many people Chicago really is boring uninspiring and ugly? C'mon. I can take you on a trip just few blocks away from the Loop whee the city transformes from a tourist attraction to a very chaotic and fugly post-industrial dump.
I think Chicago was getting away with many claims of greatness just because not that many people visit Chicago and can't confront those claims with reality. For you it may seem like a joke, but to many, Chicago is the joke, especially when confronted with all the claims we can read at city-data.
Chicago has it's rough areas just like anywhere else. I've been to LA, and LA definitely has it's rough areas as well.

I won't even touch on the disparity between rich and poor in LA. Granted, it has a lot to do with immigration (legal or not), but LA has problems.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:51 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Chicago has it's rough areas just like anywhere else. I've been to LA, and LA definitely has it's rough areas as well.

I won't even touch on the disparity between rich and poor in LA. Granted, it has a lot to do with immigration (legal or not), but LA has problems.
Really? LA has lower crime rates than Chicago in each and every crime category. Want to talk about problems, buddy?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM

85 posts, read 166,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

yes it has problems, but there highly exaggerated. People always like to spew ignorant comments about L.A.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
no...it's just that people who live in places like California have things to do with our lives than live on this forum. it seems like everyone on here is from them illinois, nebraska, indiana/i.e. ugly, cold mid western places who will vote their decaying cities above everywhere else.
I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat as me, but I spend a lot of time on this site because I'm at work and it gets pretty boring at times. Coming on this site gives me the opportunity to talk and b*tch at others. I don't think it matters if you're from LA, Chicago, or Boston...why do you come on this site?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Wait, is this serious?
the south and west sides are very close to the loop...it isn't near as bad as it was in the 80s and 90s though. People still joke about picking up prostitutes on Madison. Past 1600 (ashland) (just 2 miles from state) it turns into a gigantic ghetto area until the end of the city limits. It is pretty similar going south past roosevelt (1200) except right on the lake front. If you walk past the red line stops downtown they are all going to south side so you get a lot of ghetto type folks hanging out there.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
You guys are just too funny. You really think Chicago is more relevant that LA? Good one. In all seriousness, what gives them the competitive edge over LA in terms of significance, awareness and relevance?....and on an international level? Ha! let's not even go there. Chicagoans are bitter and insecure, and that is why they always pick on other cities, as if We care about flyover country.

If anybody thinks otherwise, I'd like some of what you're smoking

Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM

25 posts, read 61,988 times
Quote:
Los angeles doesn't even have sidewalks and people keep chickens in their houses.

It's dusty and brown.

You have earthquakes.

You rely on your suburbs to bring you fame.

The only reason anyone cares about L.A. is because the media is constantly brainwashing you with stupid shows set in L.A.

Chicago has managed to be known without any stupid media attention.
-Chicago is hideous, flat and cold. most of it is just dirty, ugly and decayed. Chicago is truly an ugly city and my friends in Chicago called it an eyesore before I went .....and I totally agree.

-you have blizzards.

-the trains are just gritty and nasty..some of the worst ive seen in the world.i would rather drive my car.

-you rely on.....for fame..oh wait....?????? everyone famous from Chicago always runs to LA or NY.

-*nobody* cares about Chicago. I don't even remember the last time I've heard anyone mention Chicago. there are just too many mid-west ppl on here who always slant the results of these polls.

Nobody thinks Chic is better or more important than LA. LA is far wealthy (economy/personal/cultural) and relevant to world society...chicago can disappear tomorrow and nobody would give a cap.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
-Chicago is hideous, flat and cold. most of it is just dirty, ugly and decayed.

-You have blizzards.

-You rely on.....for fame..oh wait....?????? everyone famous from Chicago always runs to LA or NY.

-*nobody* cares about Chicago. I don't even remember the last time I've heard anyone mention Chicago. there are just too many mid-west ppl on here who always slant the results of these polls.

nobody thinks Chic is better or more important than la. LA is far wealthy and relevant to world society...chicago can disappear tomorrow and nobody would give a cap.
Hey, don't forget that it is ugly, depressing, and rough too!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM

177 posts, read 479,692 times
We've only had a few 'cultural elites' here in Chi. Carl Sandburg, Studs Terkel, and hmm ......Earnest Hemingway to name a few. If there is such a thing as 'cultural elite', do they count? At the very least Chicago can brag about having a deep deep history of incredibly influential American cultural figures.

LA no doubt has many cultural contributions as well. Point being, for those ignorant enough to doubt this city, Chicago is no slouch in that department either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City