Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times

Advertisements

Chicago>>LA

Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM

52 posts, read 223,786 times
Why does it seem like all the people from Chicago on here are extremely patriotic to Chicago? There's liking your city and then there's you guys! I like LA and Chicago but LA a little more.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 PM

245 posts, read 214,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCities View Post
Why does it seem like all the people from Chicago on here are extremely patriotic to Chicago? There's liking your city and then there's you guys! I like LA and Chicago but LA a little more.
The (in)famous Chicago inferiority complex.

Last edited by carverR; 05-05-2010 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCities View Post
I never see much better from LA people. They're both always bashing on each other. Both cities are great, you don't have to fight to the death over it lol. I love Chicago's skyline so I kinda picked that without thinking, but I don't think you can deny LA is more important to the country overall, if even just a lil, right Chicago people?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Honestly as a native midwestern person I have found people from Chicago tend to dislike LA more than people than LA dislike chicago (in fact the only people i find who dont like chicago from la are chicago transplants).

La is a city where sf and sacramento, cities that are 300-350 miles away , are not on the radar, much less san diego, let alone chicago or new york.

Perhaps that is where some of the anti so cal ,la animosity comes from, lord knows i've seen it in sf.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Honestly as a native midwestern person I have found people from Chicago tend to dislike LA more than people than LA dislike chicago (in fact the only people i find who dont like chicago from la are chicago transplants).

La is a city where sf and sacramento, cities that are 300-350 miles away , are not on the radar, much less san diego, let alone chicago or new york.

Perhaps that is where some of the anti so cal ,la animosity comes from, lord knows i've seen it in sf.
Yeah, the "if you're not in LA you're a hick from hicktown" attitude is one I get and got from most of the people I've ever met from LA. You can see how that might make some people a lil annoyed.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Yeah, the "if you're not in LA you're a hick from hicktown" attitude is one I get and got from most of the people I've ever met from LA. You can see how that might make some people a lil annoyed.
When I was living in the Bay Area for college, a lot of the native Bay Area residents (not all, just a token few) constantly talked trash about my home city (even though I really like the Bay Area). The hate for LA seems to intensify the closer and closer you get to Los Angeles. Go to the Los Angeles forum for an example of this. The problem is that for some, its not urban enough who expect a big city. For others who expect a nice suburban setting think its too congested. It's a lose/lose situation for everyone.

Most of the people I know who grew up in LA hate it, especially those who've never lived anywhere else because they don't have perspective about anywhere else. If a place can't even get most of its citizens to like the place (especially here in the San Fernando Valley),then there are some serious problems with LA's self image. The only SoCal homers that I personally know are people who are around my age (18-24) who lived elsewhere and came back after college was done or on break. I personally love Los Angeles because its where I grew up (you always have an attachment to the place you grew up), but most of the people I know who do aren't irrational about it.

At the same time, I do think a lot of people around here are provincial. I don't really blame that on LA, but rather on a lack of exposure to the rest of the world.

Anyways, I'm planning a trip to Chicago in the next year or so. I have a lot of family in the area that I haven't seen in years! Can't wait to try some Italian Beef and Chicago Deep Dish!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
When I was living in the Bay Area for college, a lot of the native Bay Area residents (not all, just a token few) constantly talked trash about my home city (even though I really like the Bay Area). The hate for LA seems to intensify the closer and closer you get to Los Angeles. Go to the Los Angeles forum for an example of this. The problem is that for some, its not urban enough who expect a big city. For others who expect a nice suburban setting think its too congested. It's a lose/lose situation for everyone.

Most of the people I know who grew up in LA hate it, especially those who've never lived anywhere else because they don't have perspective about anywhere else. If a place can't even get most of its citizens to like the place (especially here in the San Fernando Valley),then there are some serious problems with LA's self image. The only SoCal homers that I personally know are people who are around my age (18-24) who lived elsewhere and came back after college was done or on break. I personally love Los Angeles because its where I grew up (you always have an attachment to the place you grew up), but most of the people I know who do aren't irrational about it.

At the same time, I do think a lot of people around here are provincial. I don't really blame that on LA, but rather on a lack of exposure to the rest of the world.

Anyways, I'm planning a trip to Chicago in the next year or so. I have a lot of family in the area that I haven't seen in years! Can't wait to try some Italian Beef and Chicago Deep Dish!
I'm going there as well this coming Sunday, I can't wait either to have Gino's again.

You'll love the city!

Like I've stated before, I don't think Chicago and LA should be compared like the way they are on CD, the "which one is better", because these two cities describe the term "highly subjective" more than any other match up I've seen.

Their way of life, is entirely different, and both have different appeals for different groups of people.
It's a shame that everyone can't accept that, and constantly begin to argue over which one is best.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Most of the people who grew up in LA hate it, especially those who've never lived anywhere else because they don't have perspective. If a place can't even get most of its citizens to like the place (especially here in the San Fernando Valley),then there are some serious problems with LA's self image. The only SoCal homers that I personally know are people who are around my age (18-24) who lived elsewhere and came back after college was done or on break. I personally love Los Angeles because its where I grew up (you always have an attachment to the place you grew up), but most of the people I know who do aren't irrational about it.

Yeah, I think that's natural for lottsa people, and there's nothing wrong with hometown pride as long as you don't go crazy with it.
I guess that's where some of the attitude comes from huh? I'd use a different word than provincial though. lol I always found it to be a lil mean.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'm going there as well this coming Sunday, I can't wait either to have Gino's again.

You'll love the city!

Like I've stated before, I don't think Chicago and LA should be compared like the way they are on CD, the "which one is better", because these two cities describe the term "highly subjective" more than any other match up I've seen.

Their way of life, is entirely different, and both have different appeals for different groups of people.
It's a shame that everyone can't accept that, and constantly begin to argue over which one is best.
Have fun in Chicago! Truthfully, I want to check out the area around the University of Chicago and Northwestern to see if I like it. One of my friends from HS is going to UofC right now, and she has told me awful things about it. But, I'm still willing to check it out myself since we have two different personalities.

The nice thing about this forum is that you get extremely strong opinions of different cities. It makes for more informative conversations after sifting through all the BS. However, I will agree that Chicago and LA are two totally different cities. Hell, LA is extremely different than SF and they are only 380 miles away from each other. Still doesn't stop people from comparing them.

LA is still a city that is transforming. Remember, a huge chunk of LA's land area (which includes the San Fernando Valley) would be considered suburban in most cities (albeit extremely dense suburbs). It's starting to transform into a more cohesive urban city. We'll see how it will turn out.

In the end, LA is still my home and I will always have a soft spot for it no matter where I live. But that won't prevent me liking another place for its own merits. Chicago has some too, otherwise it wouldn't have 3 million people or 10 million in its metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Yeah, I think that's natural for lottsa people, and there's nothing wrong with hometown pride as long as you don't go crazy with it.
I guess that's where some of the attitude comes from huh? I'd use a different word than provincial though. lol I always found it to be a lil mean.
I'm actually pretty critical of LA than most LA homers would like (especially my thoughts on the Entertainment Industry being the bane of LA's existence since it only gives the illusion of wealth without creating enough of it). LA has problems, but what place doesn't? If a place had no problems, then everyone would automatically live there.

Provincial is the right word for what I'm talking about. I know plenty of people who've only been as far as "Disneyland" as far as going "outside of LA". To many people around here, Downtown LA is considered a "long trip" (its only 15-20 miles from here). That's pretty provincial. However, I'm sure its no different in any other city that has long-time natives living in it. You can probably find it in a small town as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City