Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I personally don't understand why people care where celebrities live. I mean, my quality of life isn't really affected by the presence or absence of Oprah in Chicago. Its not like I get invited to her parties anyway. If people spent more time worrying about things in their life and community that actually mattered (schools, crime, taxes, etc) and less time reading People magazine, America would be a much better place, IMHO.
Not to mention...celebrities aren't even a blip on the culture radar to any given area. Anyone with a TV can tune into Oprah, so how is she adding to the culture of Chicago moreso than other places? If you want to look at an area's culture, you need to look at theatre companies, symphony orchestra/local music scene, art galleries, etc.

Also, I'm an avid theatregoer and I have seen some of the big productions both here and in NY with celebrities. IMO, it's just a novelty that some famous name is acting in a play, and it usually ends up overshadowing the performance and story. I'm always more satisfied when it's a regular ensemble performing.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
I think Chicago "stuffed the ballot box" on this one. haha

Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,812,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
LA is far more relevant and important. Why do people in Chicago think it is above LA?
Personal preference as well as geography play a big role. Trust me, when I lived in the Midwest, Chicago was far more relevant and important to me than LA was.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
I personally don't understand why people care where celebrities live. I mean, my quality of life isn't really affected by the presence or absence of Oprah in Chicago. Its not like I get invited to her parties anyway. If people spent more time worrying about things in their life and community that actually mattered (schools, crime, taxes, etc) and less time reading People magazine, America would be a much better place, IMHO.
best post so far.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
carverR is making a valid point. Celebrities in America tend to live in 2 cities: New York & Los Angeles [and between those 2 cities LA has overwhelming numbers of actors\ writers\ producers compared to NYC]. The reason is obvious regarding this fact. But the number of celebrities doesn't mean a city is better than another city. It does mean, however, that these people prefer to live where they work & where they play. Chicago does not have anything like Sunset Strip or Hollywood. On the other hand, Los Angeles does not have cattle yards & slaughter houses\ sausage factories I think most people would pick the Hollywood Walk of Fame over an Oscar Mayer plant!
Right, because Chicago is nothing but Oscar Meyer plants, and there are mo manufacturing plants anywhere in L.A. CarverR is right too, there is no creative or cultural energy here. No renowned experimental theater scene, no famous Steppenwolf Theater, no Second City which has basically been a training ground and feeder troupe for SNL and numerous other comedy productions for the last 35 years, etc...

Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Also, no Pitchfork Music Fest, no Lollapalooza, no John McEntire, no Wilco, no birthplace of house music, no nothing. All these things are fabrications by the liberal media who wanted to just throw a bone to Chicago for kicks when anyone who is anyone knows that Chicago is actually a neocon marxo-communist pinko conspiracy cultivated by the Freemasons, the Holy See, Dan Brown, and the Yamara clan of Ninjas.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-06-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
^^ Wha??? LOL

Old 05-06-2010, 03:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
carverR is making a valid point. Celebrities in America tend to live in 2 cities: New York & Los Angeles [and between those 2 cities LA has overwhelming numbers of actors\ writers\ producers compared to NYC]. The reason is obvious regarding this fact. But the number of celebrities doesn't mean a city is better than another city. It does mean, however, that these people prefer to live where they work & where they play. Chicago does not have anything like Sunset Strip or Hollywood. On the other hand, Los Angeles does not have cattle yards & slaughter houses\ sausage factories I think most people would pick the Hollywood Walk of Fame over an Oscar Mayer plant!
Just so you know, the South Side stockyards of Chicago (i.e. Theodore Dreiser novels) are long, long gone...your mental image of Chicago is quite dated...

Old 05-06-2010, 03:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,624,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny sgt hartman View Post
I think Chicago "stuffed the ballot box" on this one. haha
Would you expect any less from us?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM

245 posts, read 212,857 times
Quote:
I personally don't understand why people care where celebrities live. I mean, my quality of life isn't really affected by the presence or absence of Oprah in Chicago. Its not like I get invited to her parties anyway.
You don't? Oprah alone created hundreds of jobs, left milions in tax revenue, enriched culture (Color of Purple) and brought recognition to Chicago that you could not get spending milions on TV spots. Oprah alone did for Chicago more than what adding a few thousand ordinary citizens would not have done. You still don't get how cultural elites benefit a city? I suspect you are saying this just because there are no cultural elites/celebrities in Chicago. As long as there are none though there will be no vibrant cultural life there.

Last edited by carverR; 05-06-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City