Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Jerry Springer did the same thing, though I'm not sure his (thankfully former) presence here added to the cultural fabric of Chicago.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
^his show was more entertaining when it was in chicago though.lol

In some ways I knda see where carverR is coming from as far as giving people opportunities to use their talents. Its too many times where people from chicago have to go to la nyc or atl to put their talents to use.

I'll give an example. If guys liek kanye west or any other big artists from chicago were to stay and set up like a recording industry there would be plenty of people with jobs like engineers and all that behind the scenes stuff. Also artist wouldnt have to alway fly to atlanta or new york to get their music heard by the public. I guess Im going off topic...

mas23

Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM

245 posts, read 215,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
CarverR is right too, there is no creative or cultural energy here. No renowned experimental theater scene, no famous Steppenwolf Theater, no Second City which has basically been a training ground and feeder troupe for SNL and numerous other comedy productions for the last 35 years, etc...
Listening to you one would think that SNL would not exist w/o Chicagoans where in fact there were more performers from NY on the show then from Chicago. Chicago experimental theater and Steppenwolf are mostly local attractions. No, there is no creative energy in Chicago, there was never any cultural trend or movement that came out of Chicago. Period.
LA and even Houston has much better theater scene than Chicago.

Last edited by carverR; 05-06-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
Listening to you one would think that SNL would not exist w/o Chicagoans where in fact there were more performers from NY on the show then from Chicago. Chicago experimental theater and Steppenwolf are mostly local attractions. No, there is creative energy in Chicago, there was never any cultural trend or movement that came out of Chicago. Period.
LA and even Houston has much better theater scene than Chicago.
Musically, which is all I'm confident in commenting on, you're wrong. Really wrong. Also, long form improv comedy and improv theatre. Seriously, you can get more wrong, but to what extent I'm not sure. Do your best though, because I believe in you.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
house music, soul music, come on!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I personally don't understand why people care where celebrities live. I mean, my quality of life isn't really affected by the presence or absence of Oprah in Chicago. Its not like I get invited to her parties anyway. If people spent more time worrying about things in their life and community that actually mattered (schools, crime, taxes, etc) and less time reading People magazine, America would be a much better place, IMHO.
It might not affect you directly, but a strong media presence can do a lot for a city. The fact is people get a lot of information (wrong or not) from media even when it's mindless entertainment. Even your call to be more mindful of things in our daily lives and in our communities is strongly shaped by the media, so a healthy local media industry could greatly increase interest and awareness of local issues and conditions. It is healthy to have a strong local media, and I like the fact that media is decentralizing to some extent among the major cities.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
^his show was more entertaining when it was in chicago though.lol

In some ways I knda see where carverR is coming from as far as giving people opportunities to use their talents. Its too many times where people from chicago have to go to la nyc or atl to put their talents to use.

I'll give an example. If guys liek kanye west or any other big artists from chicago were to stay and set up like a recording industry there would be plenty of people with jobs like engineers and all that behind the scenes stuff. Also artist wouldnt have to alway fly to atlanta or new york to get their music heard by the public. I guess Im going off topic...

mas23
Do you have any idea how many recording studios there are in this town or how many big-name artists have recorded albums here? Heck, one of the most well-known "indie" studios in the country is right here in my neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
I agree that Chicago is much more city-like then most of LA but when it comes to urban culture Chicago does not have much to offer while LA is a giant.
Like what? I don't know anyone who goes to LA to experience urban culture.

Everyone goes there for Hollywood, Disneyland and beaches. If LA had greater urban culture than Chicago, then it would be well-known for it.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-06-2010 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Not to mention...celebrities aren't even a blip on the culture radar to any given area. Anyone with a TV can tune into Oprah, so how is she adding to the culture of Chicago moreso than other places? If you want to look at an area's culture, you need to look at theatre companies, symphony orchestra/local music scene, art galleries, etc.

Also, I'm an avid theatregoer and I have seen some of the big productions both here and in NY with celebrities. IMO, it's just a novelty that some famous name is acting in a play, and it usually ends up overshadowing the performance and story. I'm always more satisfied when it's a regular ensemble performing.
Most of what you wrote can be classified as pure, provincial nonsense. Celebrities as a blip on the culture radar? Are you saying that let's say Tarantino, Scorsese or Voight don't have any impact on culture? That Oprah was not adding to culture of Chicago? What about The Color Purple? Would this ever materialize in Chicago it it wasn't for Oprah? How about all the people that thanks to Oprah had a chance to try in the world of publishing and media in Chicago. Renowned actors playing on stage just a novelty? Maybe in Chicago.

Chicago never ceases to amaze me: you guys can turn any subject into Kafkaesque, pure-nonsence experience.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Musically, which is all I'm confident in commenting on, you're wrong. Really wrong. Also, long form improv comedy and improv theatre. Seriously, you can get more wrong, but to what extent I'm not sure. Do your best though, because I believe in you.
Well, go ahead, comment. You got me wandering now.
As far as improv is concerend for me it never left a stage of local novelty and state fair attraction. It simply never took off anywhere else in the country, the interest is not there. Again, comment on music, I am always willing to learn something new...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City