Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose: NY or CA
New York state 136 32.46%
California 283 67.54%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate 24 View Post
Ny and texas would be a good comparison!!
We had that thread already, and Texas won by a slight margin. You can revive it if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySammy View Post
New York is best.

Aside from NYC (which is already better than LA by miles), it has mountains, skiing, beaches/Long Island, REAL PIZZA AND REAL BAGELS, also has Niagara falls, etc...

New York really does have a bit of everything. I don't know why people would say Cali has beaches and all when New York does too.
It also has an amazing skyline.
I think that's kinda one sided though. You say NY has everything CALI does, BUT you don't think Cali has everything New York does? SF has tall buildings public transit, density, history, a great skyline and ALOT of things that NYC has, PLUS the mountains deserts, beaches, lakes, and Los Angeles(another world city) to the South. People could just say, NYC may have better bagels and pizza, BUT Cali has REAL Mexican food. Your argument can go BOTH ways, and Cali would have the advantage.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
CA is the state everyone loves to hate on cuz its big and bad and has everything. To the kid saying NJ is better, get real.

i think its the other way around. Everyone tends to hate on NJ except its not cause its big and bad but cause people go by bad stereotypes. And whatever, different strokes for different folks.

I personally favor NY more, but Cali isnt bad at all. Iv been there only once(family in Cypress) and i liked the weather and whatever else we did. The only things I didnt like was how repetitive development is in the suburbs whereas in NY and NYC metro you can jump from town to town and find something unique and historical about it. Also LA was cool but i tend to agree strongly about its negitives..idk, just wasnt all that impressed. Im spos to go to San Fran soon cause i have a ton of family there(Daily City largest Filipino population in the country(im half)) and my cousin that currently lives here just tells me good things so that trip prbly will sway my opinion about the state as a whole.

I agree with some of the other posters though, it should areas comparable in size. How bout the BosWash corridor(which is still smaller but can rival Cali, IMO) or NY down to the Carolina's

Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I'd live in central/northern Cali in a heartbeat. It's my 2nd favorite state next to NY. I plan on retiring to SF.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think that's kinda one sided though. You say NY has everything CALI does, BUT you don't think Cali has everything New York does? SF has tall buildings public transit, density, history, a great skyline and ALOT of things that NYC has, PLUS the mountains deserts, beaches, lakes, and Los Angeles(another world city) to the South. People could just say, NYC may have better bagels and pizza, BUT Cali has REAL Mexican food. Your argument can go BOTH ways, and Cali would have the advantage.
We have better Caribbean food....just saying

Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
We have better Caribbean food....just saying
I agree. NY probably does have better Caribbean food. I am Haitian myself.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM

117 posts, read 330,917 times
Quote:
We had that thread already, and Texas won by a slight margin. You can revive it if you want.
Nice lets do it!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Nice lets do it!
You can if you want, I don't want to stir up controversy. it was one of the CLOSEST state to state comparisons I have ever seen on C-D. Pretty evenly matched if you ask me: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-state-68.html

Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM

19 posts, read 41,646 times
Quote:
I thought Texas was the state with the Mexican food.

Anyway, New Yorks public transportation beats out Calis by far. New York City has much more than LA does. Your right that they have similar things, but overall, I think New York just does it all better.

Aside from some beaches that is. The Hamptons on Long Island are probably the only comparable beaches to California's.
Quote:
Ny and texas would be a good comparison!!
Um, hell no.

Keep it California and New York.

Texas and Florida.

Or Florida and California. (Sunny states, disney land/world, etc...) But NOT NY and TX. New York >>>> Texas any day.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
. It's also not fair when you compare NYC to any other city (and I roll my eyes when I see threads created by New Yorkers who are just looking to put down cities like Chicago, L.A., or San Francisco.
Na had to respond to this. NYER's almost never start arguments out of no where. Most threads are not started from new yorkers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City