Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose: NY or CA
New York state 136 32.46%
California 283 67.54%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,755,427 times

Advertisements

-Both states are absolutely beautiful. It's rather hard to choose which state is more beautiful since both states have their own kind of beauty that results in a moot point.
-I think New York's biggest city (NYC) is better than California's biggest city (LA) by a long shot.
-I also prefer 4 seasons which gives NY a boost.
-California's beaches are way more beautiful and offer more in terms of overall activity than what NY has to offer on Long Island.
-IMO, New York's location is better. It's near my home (NJ) and other great states and cities while California is the only great location in it's location IMO (if that makes sense)

New York FTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:38 PM

203 posts, read 686,757 times
The thing is Cali doesn't need to be by Any other "great cities" or wutnot it has everythin already I think

Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 PM

92,014 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
The thing is Cali doesn't need to be by Any other "great cities" or wutnot it has everythin already I think
Considering how big and less dense it is in comparison to NY, you MIGHT be right.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Just to put the diversity argument to rest (using 2000 data, since this index is only put together every 10 years). Nowadays, I'm sure more counties in both New York AND California have become much more diverse.

ALSO: http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-104.pdf

http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/atlas/tables/divers.xls (Copy and paste the link, forum being weird for some reason)

Average US Diversity:0.49 (from 2nd link, 4th page)
High Diversity (as specified by the US census, 2nd link): 0.60-0.77
Above Average Diversity: 0.49-0.59

California has 30/58 counties that diversity levels higher than the US average, of which 19 counties are in the high diversity range.

New York State has 5/62 counties that have diversity levels higher than the US average, of which 4 counties are in the high diversity range.

Unfortunately, the methodology for this index by the US Census IS indeed flawed, because it doesn't take into account the diversity within groups, but rather bases it off the 4 extremely broad racial groups (White, Black, Asian, 'Hispanics' of any race). However, I'm excited to see what the 2010 index will look like. Both states are on the whole, way more diverse than the US average of .49 (NY State at 0.57, CA at 0.67). However, California as a whole has more statistical diversity than New York State does.

To put it into context in the minds of New Yorkers, this is like comparing the diversity of Westchester County (at 0.55) to the Bronx (at 0.66). This should situate in your mind the difference between California and New York State. However, New York State is the most diverse state on the East Coast, followed closely by New Jersey.

Honestly though, California and New York are both extremely great places. I love New York State's natural setting, since its extremely green throughout the whole state. The Catskills and Adirondacks are among the most scenic areas of the country, especially on cold winter nights when the trees are covered in snow. There is very little that could beat that. Then there's New York City, which is arguably the great American city epitomized into a nearly perfect package. New York State, despite what many Californians think, is an extremely underrated state and is often misunderstood to only include NYC, Long Island, and the Lower Hudson Valley. However, I believe that the whole state is extremely nice, and I wouldn't mind going camping or hiking there

The biggest reason why I have to prefer California more is simply this: It's been my home for most of my life. I lived in NYC for a year, and I could never get used to it. I wasn't used to the weather, the people, the food, etc. However, I'm willing to give it another shot because I'm older and mature enough to appreciate the city and the state for what it is.

Anyways, rant over. I'm addicted to these statistics!
Great research, but the hole in this data is that it doesn't take into account the population of these counties in relation to the state's population. What this just shows is that the population is spread out more in California and considering the size of the states and the urban concentration, among other things, it makes sense.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Well, the very fact that NYC and NYS are as even a close of comparison to California as it is makes New York impressive. California has 189% of New York's population, but only 61% more GSP than New York State. (2008 statistics)

BEA : Gross Domestic Product by State
List of U.S. states by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California: $1,846,757,000,000
New York: $1,144,181,000,000

If you divide this amongst the population, the economic output (goods and services) of the average Californian vs. average New Yorker looks like this:

California: $49,641
New York: $58,705

HOWEVER this doesn't take into account that California has a HUGE seasonal migrant worker population, which are frequently underpaid way below minimum wage
. My point stands that statistically speaking, New Yorkers produce 16% more economic output than the average Californian.

The one thing I really wouldn't argue with New Yorkers is the economy. According to 2008 statistics, New York's economy grew by 1.6 percent, while California's only grew by a paltry 0.4 percent.

News Release: (GDP by State)

While these aren't the most optimal growth rates for either side (shows how sluggish the US economy really is), New York is grew at a rate 4 times faster than California last year. As we all know, things don't last forever, and I hope California, New York, and all the other states pick up soon.

Last important economic thing to note is the concentration of output within a state

News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Accelerated 2008, New 2007, and Revised 2005-2006
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-product.html (thanks to 18Montclair for posting this):

Using the same Bureau of Economic Analysis statistics, we can see that

1) New York metropolitan area has an economic output GREATER than New York State by a margin of 21%. While much of the capital may lie in New Jersey and Connecticut (after all, if this wasn't the case, then NYS would have a much larger GSP than the metro area), most of the metro area's economic activity takes place within the 5 boroughs. Adding Long Island and the Lower Hudson Valley, it becomes abundantly clear that most of New York State's economic output is driven by NYC. The New York portion of NYC's metro area make up 68% of New York State's population, but make up around 90% of its economic output. That shows an extreme disparity between Upstate and Downstate NY.

2) California's 2 large metropolitan areas only account for 74% of California's economy (508,418+866,095 = 1,374,513/1,846,757 = 74.4%). This means that 25.6%-26% of California's economic output isn't driven by the large metropolitan areas, but rather spread out throughout the state. This shows that California's economy is more polycentric than New York State, with each part of the state producing for the economy, making it more equitable than the state of affairs in New York State. The fact that the Bay Area and the Southland make up 74.4% of the economic output also represents the fact that these areas make up 67-68% of California's population. They aren't overly overrepresented in the statistics (although the Bay Area, per capita, has a higher economic output rate than the Southland by 27%)

/end economic rant
Just to touch on the migrant worker topic, NY state gets quite a few migrant workers from Latin America and even from the South. Counties like Wayne, Orleans, Sullivan and Ulster, among some others, have experienced this. For instance, in Wayne County, there are quite a few communities with relatively high Black populations due to Black migrant workers that came from Florida to work in the vineyards and apple orchards there. Same with Hispanics that have also come to that area. That's why you will see some rural and small towns in that county and in some communities in nearby counties with relatively high Black and Hispanics populations for such places in the Northeast.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,937,281 times
It is unrealistic to compare California to New York State. The state of CA practically borders the entire west coast, it is approximately 1000 miles long. New York State does not border a large coastal area like CA does, with the exception of Coney Island and Jones Beach, lol.

If you take 1000 miles the length of the CA coastline and proportionately measure it at any given point from Maine to Florida in the east coast you will border several states where all are very different in culture, landscaping and weather, which vary greatly by region. The east coast is also very rich in history.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
It is unrealistic to compare California to New York State. The state of CA practically borders the entire west coast, it is approximately 1000 miles long. New York State does not border a large coastal area like CA does, with the exception of Coney Island and Jones Beach, lol.

If you take 1000 miles the length of the CA coastline and proportionately measure it at any given point from Maine to Florida in the east coast you will border several states where all are very different in culture, landscaping and weather, which vary greatly by region. The east coast is also very rich in history.
Can't forget Long Island too.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,766,536 times
Good economic break down lifeshadower. Numbers never lie.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,352,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great research, but the hole in this data is that it doesn't take into account the population of these counties in relation to the state's population. What this just shows is that the population is spread out more in California and considering the size of the states and the urban concentration, among other things, it makes sense.
Well, let's take the size of the counties into account:

>0.49 counties in California = 33,981,354 OR 92% of California's population live in areas that are more diverse than the US average of 0.49 (source of population figures: List of counties in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

>0.49 counties in New York State = 8,478,009 OR 43% of New York State's population live in areas that are more diverse than the US average of 0.49 (source: List of counties in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

However, its important to remember that counties in California are, on average, geographically larger than counties in New York state. It's also important to note that many rural counties in California are amongst the most diverse in the country, for better or for worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to touch on the migrant worker topic, NY state gets quite a few migrant workers from Latin America and even from the South. Counties like Wayne, Orleans, Sullivan and Ulster, among some others, have experienced this. For instance, in Wayne County, there are quite a few communities with relatively high Black populations due to Black migrant workers that came from Florida to work in the vineyards and apple orchards there. Same with Hispanics that have also come to that area. That's why you will see some rural and small towns in that county and in some communities in nearby counties with relatively high Black and Hispanics populations for such places in the Northeast.
The use of migrant labor for agricultural work has, for better or for worse, been etched into large American agribusiness. I feel that these migrant laborers should get a lot more credit than they are currently deserving, since they keep our foodstuffs and commodities market competitive on the international stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post

Coastline of the United States — Infoplease.com
California's coastline is 840 miles long, or around 65% of the Continental United States' West Coast (840/1293 = 64.96) Kinda shy of 1000 miles long, don't you think? If you want to open a new thread with an area the size of California (remember, 163,696 square miles), then do so. Just remember that when you make the comparison, make sure the size doesn't exceed that amount.

And another thing, what makes people think the West Coast lacks a rich history? The Spanish don't count as history (you know, that minor thing having to do with 21 missions all over California?) The Russians in Northern California isn't history? The Mexican presence isn't history? The Gold Rush isn't history? The Transcontinental Railroad isn't history? Or do you mean British colonial history only?

Here's a start on West Coast's rich native and colonial history: History of the west coast of North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The history of the Americas isn't simply limited from the Atlantic Coast westward. Remember, the whole reason why the British got involved in North America to begin with was to counter the Spanish galleon trade in the southern part of this continent. Everything that happened after was reactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Good economic break down lifeshadower. Numbers never lie.
Thank you. I try to substantiate every one of my claims so it doesn't look like I'm pulling stuff out of my *****

Old 12-27-2009, 07:53 PM

203 posts, read 686,757 times
I love that lifeshadower guy.. He brings da facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City