Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm telling you that the Baltimore area is the more populous area of Maryland. I'm not hating on DC, and in fact, as I've stated in another thread, I think DC is a nice city, and I've been DC multiple times as the flourishing southern city that it is. Let me ask you a question: what is the attraction of being considered a northern city? If DC is performing like most cities in the south, which most are doing very well, why do the people of DC want to latch on to the north so much? What benefits are to be attained by claiming to be northern?
As for the population numbers..

DC MSA Counties in MD
Frederick 243,675
Montgomery 1.03 million
PG 904,430
Calvert 90,613
Charles 154,747
Total = 2,937,140
The above is from each counties Wiki Page

Bmore MSA
Total = 2,710,489
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltim...ropolitan_area

and these are roughly 2014 numbers so with DC's higher growth rate, the difference should be even larger today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
He can't come with any substantial facts. Everything you mentioned is spot on. You also forgot to mention that DC is one of the most liberal politically leaning cities in the U.S. Weed is legal, gay marriage passed years ago before it became popular.
yes, those are also very valid. I also added voting patterns, obesity rates, gun laws and religious affiliations.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

DC MSA Counties in MD
Frederick 243,675
Montgomery 1.03 million
PG 904,430
Calvert 90,613
Charles 154,747
Total = 2,937,140

Bmore MSA
Total = 2,710,489

and these are roughly 2014 numbers so with DC's higher growth rate, the difference should be even larger today.
Those DC MSA numbers don't add up to 2.9 million more like 2.5 million, nonetheless, that side of Maryland is the strongest.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Those DC MSA numbers don't add up to 2.9 million more like 2.5 million, nonetheless, that side of Maryland is the strongest.
Woops. Youre correct, my math was off.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:06 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:

DC MSA Counties in MD
Frederick 243,675
Montgomery 1.03 million
PG 904,430
Calvert 90,613
Charles 154,747
Total = 2,937,140

Bmore MSA
Total = 2,710,489

Old 05-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nah, Moco & PG together are almost at 2 million. Baltimore County has 800,000. Baltimore has 600,000. The rest don't even come close.
Like I said, the Baltimore area is the larger, more populous metro. I wasn't asking a question, I was stating a fact.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Like I said, the Baltimore area is the larger, more populous metro. I wasn't asking a question, I was stating a fact.
So nothing else to contribute besides the slight difference in population difference between DC suburbs of just the MD side and the entire BMore MSA? I answered your question.

Selective responding already shows you don't have much to back your opinion. But just in case you just forgot below is your question and my answer.

Quote:
I'm telling you that the Baltimore area is the more populous area of Maryland. I'm not hating on DC, and in fact, as I've stated in another thread, I think DC is a nice city, and I've been DC multiple times as the flourishing southern city that it is. Let me ask you a question: what is the attraction of being considered a northern city? If DC is performing like most cities in the south, which most are doing very well, why do the people of DC want to latch on to the north so much? What benefits are to be attained by claiming to be northern?

Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I've already posted numerous sources demonstrating how DC is more aligned with it's NE neighbors culturally. I've yet to hear a DC residents call themselves Southern. I would assume the locals opinions would be more valid then yours.

Why don't you tell me or show me how it is Southern. The only thing I've heard from you is that it was a Southern City at one point so it will always be a Southern City.

Take into consideration things like public transportation, education attainments, incomes, cost of living, voting patterns, obesity rates, religious affiliations, walk scores, density, gun laws, marijuana laws, interstate/city migration patterns, retail/food chains located in the city, taxis, so on and so on.....
None of what you listed makes DC northern. It just means that there is a southern city with those traits. It doesn't matter if YOU'VE never heard someone say that they are southern, the fact remains is that they are. Get off the Northeast, the south is hot right now. No pun intended.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
None of what you listed makes DC northern. It just means that there is a southern city with those traits. It doesn't matter if YOU'VE never heard someone say that they are southern, the fact remains is that they are. Get off the Northeast, the south is hot right now. No pun intended.
No proof or any sources again and no responses to anything anyone provided as a source of data

Who cares if the South is hot. DC doesn't exhibit as many southern traits as it does the North. You even voted MD as a northern state in a previous thread. Your one man theory is done as over and over again you've provided nothing and I'm glad it was showcased here.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
So nothing else to contribute besides the slight difference in population difference between DC suburbs of just the MD side and the entire BMore MSA? I answered your question.

Selective responding already shows you don't have much to back your opinion. But just in case you just forgot below is your question and my answer.
I'm stating a fact. And that fact was pretty important to you when you thought that the MD suburbs of DC were larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City