Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
People moving to the DC area doesn't change the culture of the Baltimore area. Also, people from the NE moving to other southern cities (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Houston...etc) doesn't drive those cities into the "NE's cultural sphere." Those cities are still southern, as is DC.
Wrong. Cities and places change and adapt as time goes. If the influx were reverse I could say Philadelphia is being heavily influenced by Southern culture due to all of the Southern implants. Why do you think there is so much question and debate with Miami being "Southern" culturally because of the heavy Latin American influence..

Nothing is permanent, cultures change. But stay strong my friend because clearly Baltimore has not changed a bit since it was established as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 41,879 times
Hmm... there's a good, calm, discussion in these recent several posts. I guess I'll add some anecdotal info as well.

I'm a D.C. native, but I spent time/grew up in Maryland (northern and southern parts of the Baltimore/DC CMSA - I have family in both). Essentially, I missed true 1990s culture, and the decade after the '90s infuenced my views a lot. When I was growing up, I thought Maryland (and Virginia by association) were northern states, probably because stereotypes of the south didn't match up with my own experiences (no one told me I lived in the North), but I realised that people around me actually disagreed.

And then I recalled learning in school about the state's history in the south and that plantation house my relatives lived near... and that the accents in southern Maryland were actually southern and in other parts of the state they also had accents that didn't match with the north. And I learned about other places more and traveled to them, and compared them with my area.

And I realised that in the northeast were more Boricuas and Italians and Irish, and how that stopped in Wilmington. Which was why the people here didn't understand how you could be Latino, but not mestizo: only now, with my generation are there starting to be people who are adults (or at least 18) who grew up in this area and are Latino, but they are mostly not of Caribbean ethnicities like in places from Delaware to Massachusetts.

But "the south" (N.C.-Fla.) still seemed too different to me, so I became another one of those "Mid-Atlantic" people, at least for the metropolitan areas from Bmore to Virginia Beach.

Interestingly, my parents (who grew up during the '70s-'80s in exurban Baltimore in D.C.) seem to think of Maryland as a southern state.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Wrong. Cities and places change and adapt as time goes. If the influx were reverse I could say Philadelphia is being heavily influenced by Southern culture due to all of the Southern implants. Why do you think there is so much question and debate with Miami being "Southern" culturally because of the heavy Latin American influence..

Nothing is permanent, cultures change. But stay strong my friend because clearly Baltimore has not changed a bit since it was established as a city.
Miami is still a southern city even with the heavy latin american influence. Let me ask you, is NYC or Philly less northern due the latin influences there?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Miami is still a southern city even with the heavy latin american influence. Let me ask you, is NYC or Philly less northern due the latin influences there?
Nope and it is not as dominant in either Philly or NYC, it's a minority and especially with NYC, the city has always been known as a portal for immigrants all over the world. Miami is "heavily" influenced by Latin American culture as is DC with NE's culture. I could see the argument for the Baltimore area not having been influenced as much since it's been losing population vs gaining so the "Northern Exposure" is less but that doesn't constitute all of MD.

Are you just concerned with Southern Culture not being as dominant in the area as it was? You are the only one on here stating that MD is outright Southern and only Southern and this is including locals from the area, are you just that unwilling to see that others disagree with you?

Last edited by Ebck120; 05-10-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Nope and it is not as dominant in either Philly or NYC, it's a minority and especially with NYC, the city has always been known as a portal for immigrants all over the world. Miami is "heavily" influenced by Latin American culture as is DC with NE's culture. I could see the argument for the Baltimore area not having been influenced as much since it's been losing population vs gaining so the "Northern Exposure" is less but that doesn't constitute all of MD.

Are you just concerned with Southern Culture not being as dominant in the area as it was? You are the only one on here stating that MD is outright Southern and only Southern and this is including locals from the area, are you just that unwilling to see that others disagree with you?
Ok, so if the latin community isn't as dominant in the NYC area as it is in Miami, then what you using to gauge whether or not Miami is southern? The people there identify as southern, the culture is southern, it's geographically the most southern major city in the country...

WRONG!!! the Baltimore area has never lost population...EVER. Do your research.

Southern culture is dominant regardless. When you turn on your radio, who do you hear? When you watch TV, where is the program filmed? Do you eat soul food? Do you drink Liquor?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I dont really consider Delaware and Maryland to be southern states.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, so if the latin community isn't as dominant in the NYC area as it is in Miami, then what you using to gauge whether or not Miami is southern? The people there identify as southern, the culture is southern, it's geographically the most southern major city in the country...

WRONG!!! the Baltimore area has never lost population...EVER. Do your research.

Southern culture is dominant regardless. When you turn on your radio, who do you hear? When you watch TV, where is the program filmed? Do you eat soul food? Do you drink Liquor?
Not MSA but Bmore's population has been declining for a long time now. The Baltimore Sun just released an article recently about Bmore seeing a potential 100 yr low.
Baltimore's population fell by more than 6,700 people in the 12 months that ended July 2016, the U.S. Census Bureau reported Thursday, as the number of people leaving the city for other parts of the United States doubled.
Baltimore population falls, nearing a 100-year low, U.S. Census says - Baltimore Sun

As to your questions.

A. I don't listen to the Radio minus NPR sometimes.
B. I pretty much more or less fall in the line with "Urban Areas" based on the below link. Again, the NE - DC connection is strong. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...maps.html?_r=0
C. I rarely eat soul food. It's delicious but unhealthy so I avoid it. I didn't eat much growing up either.
D. I drink whiskey or vodka or just stick to local beer or wine.

I'm a product of this area which you consider as only Southern.

Last edited by Ebck120; 05-10-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo Sanantonio View Post
Hmm... there's a good, calm, discussion in these recent several posts. I guess I'll add some anecdotal info as well.

I'm a D.C. native, but I spent time/grew up in Maryland (northern and southern parts of the Baltimore/DC CMSA - I have family in both). Essentially, I missed true 1990s culture, and the decade after the '90s infuenced my views a lot. When I was growing up, I thought Maryland (and Virginia by association) were northern states, probably because stereotypes of the south didn't match up with my own experiences (no one told me I lived in the North), but I realised that people around me actually disagreed.

And then I recalled learning in school about the state's history in the south and that plantation house my relatives lived near... and that the accents in southern Maryland were actually southern and in other parts of the state they also had accents that didn't match with the north. And I learned about other places more and traveled to them, and compared them with my area.

And I realised that in the northeast were more Boricuas and Italians and Irish, and how that stopped in Wilmington. Which was why the people here didn't understand how you could be Latino, but not mestizo: only now, with my generation are there starting to be people who are adults (or at least 18) who grew up in this area and are Latino, but they are mostly not of Caribbean ethnicities like in places from Delaware to Massachusetts.

But "the south" (N.C.-Fla.) still seemed too different to me, so I became another one of those "Mid-Atlantic" people, at least for the metropolitan areas from Bmore to Virginia Beach.

Interestingly, my parents (who grew up during the '70s-'80s in exurban Baltimore in D.C.) seem to think of Maryland as a southern state.
Your experience seems very similar to mine, regarding the cultural identity of ourselves and home regions. Sounds like we're around the same age and grew up in the same era, too...

I pretty much agree with everything you said. DC and Maryland aren't the "North" to me. I don't feel like I'm really in the Northeast, and yet, there are only small indicators that are comparable to the typical South. As I've said before, I have never known anybody, not a single person, from the Nova or RVA areas who looked at going to Maryland as going "up north" or "going up top". People just say they're going to Maryland, it's 2 hours (or less) away. Now, I'm aware that my vantage isn't a popular one, but again it's probably reflective of where I grew up...

Great post!

Old 05-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Not MSA but Bmore's population has been declining for a long time now. The Baltimore Sun just released an article recently about Bmore seeing a potential 100 yr low.
Baltimore's population fell by more than 6,700 people in the 12 months that ended July 2016, the U.S. Census Bureau reported Thursday, as the number of people leaving the city for other parts of the United States doubled.
Baltimore population falls, nearing a 100-year low, U.S. Census says - Baltimore Sun

As to your questions.

A. I don't listen to the Radio minus NPR sometimes.
B. I pretty much more or less fall in the line with "Urban Areas" based on the below link. Again, the NE - DC connection is strong. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...maps.html?_r=0
C. I rarely eat soul food. It's delicious but unhealthy so I avoid it. I didn't eat much growing up either.
D. I drink whiskey or vodka or just stick to local beer or wine.

I'm a product of this area which you consider as only Southern.
I'm well aware of the population loss that they city has recently experienced. I'm also well aware that the city grew in every other metric despite the population loss. I'd like to figure out what caused the recent loss of people. I think gentrification is a possible culprit.

I'm clearly not the only person that considers your area southern. I'm still trying to figure out what the benefits for being considered "northeastern" are.

I agree with you on A, B, C and D. I don't partake in any of it.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I'm well aware of the population loss that they city has recently experienced. I'm also well aware that the city grew in every other metric despite the population loss. I'd like to figure out what caused the recent loss of people. I think gentrification is a possible culprit.

I'm clearly not the only person that considers your area southern. I'm still trying to figure out what the benefits for being considered "northeastern" are.

I agree with you on A, B, C and D. I don't partake in any of it.
I dont think there are any benefits to being grouped with either region. It wouodnt matter because DC would still be DC. It's just a matter of what regional characteristics you see more of in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City