Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most bitter city rivalries
Miami vs Los Angeles 1 0.58%
Washington DC vs New York City 3 1.73%
Atlanta vs New Orleans 2 1.16%
New York City vs Boston 23 13.29%
Atlanta vs Washington DC 1 0.58%
New York City vs Chicago 19 10.98%
Atlanta vs New York City 0 0%
Houston vs Atlanta 13 7.51%
Houston vs Los Angeles 1 0.58%
Dallas vs Houston 38 21.97%
Philadelphia vs New York City 7 4.05%
Philadelphia vs San Francisco 3 1.73%
Philadelphia vs Chicago 1 0.58%
Los Angeles vs New York City 26 15.03%
Los Angeles vs San Francisco 26 15.03%
San Francisco vs Oakland/East Bay 4 2.31%
San Francisco vs Seattle 5 2.89%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times

Advertisements

I notice several cities that go at each other very often (here on C-D, and from what I've experienced in real life).

I'm going to list just a few and let you guys vote on which city rivalry is most bitter AND WHY???. NOT, which is most common, or which is most notable, or which is most dated/oldest, or which blah blah blah... I'm only asking which city rivalry gets people on either side of the rivalry (even if it's only on one side) most heated...

Of course, I can only list a few from my experience, so please feel free to vote other and explain what other city rivalries that you may know of, and why you think they are such bitter rivalries... All theories welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 PM

Sorry... Forgot to put an "OTHER" choice in the poll, so just feel free to list any that you can think of.

All rivalries and theories are welcome, no matter how big or small...
Doesn't matter if you want to discuss Atlanta ITP people vs Atlanta OTP people, OR Northern Virginia vs Maryland, OR Brooklyn vs Manhattan, OR North Chicago vs South Chicago, OR Miami vs Seattle... Just some examples... Let's hear them and please give your theories behind WHY they are such bitter rivals.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Miami & LA will never be "rivals"! different cities but mutual respect for each other.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Miami & LA will never be "rivals"! different cities but mutual respect for each other.
I've heard otherwise, however I do think it isn't really bitter and only boils down to basketball...
Seems like I've been running across a good amount of LA Lakers fans out in LA that act like they have a foul look toward Miami, and I think it's only because of the Heat's recent success. So they want to act like the whole city of Miami sucks. Lol... They'll get over it....

Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Atlanta and New Orleans isn't a rival outside of the NFL. Atlanta is a great city and most Atlantans I know love the city of New Orleans.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The same could probably be said for Philadelphia and Chicago in regards to mutual respect but Philly and Chicago probably have more in common than Miami and LA would have in common.

As for Philadelphia and San Francisco, I don't see a rivalry there. The only thing I could ever see Philadelphians being bitter about the Bay Area is the relocation of the Athletics(MLB) and the Warriors(NBA), which where originally Philly sports teams. Outside of that, San Francisco isn't really on Philly's radar. I would've said the same thing for the San Francisco perspective but they are constantly reminded of Philly every time they order a cheesesteak.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-26-2014 at 12:13 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 12:48 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I've heard otherwise, however I do think it isn't really bitter and only boils down to basketball...
Seems like I've been running across a good amount of LA Lakers fans out in LA that act like they have a foul look toward Miami, and I think it's only because of the Heat's recent success. So they want to act like the whole city of Miami sucks. Lol... They'll get over it....
They should get over it. Hopefully, the 1st place Clippers have as many fans as the Lakers by now. The Clippers are light years better than the Lakers this year. The Lakers had better set their sights on becoming the best team in their own city again (they can't even manage to do that) before worrying about the Miami Heat.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Atlanta and New Orleans isn't a rival outside of the NFL. Atlanta is a great city and most Atlantans I know love the city of New Orleans.
That's usually what people from New Orleans say and that's because it's more one sided.
Don't be surprised if you show up in Atlanta, say you're from NO, then get treated bad... I've seen it.

Yes, there are people in Atlanta that don't like people from NO.

I can agree, there IS a mutual respect found amongst many from Atlanta & NO, BUT................ In Atlanta, there ARE a lot of people that go back & forth in a bitter rivalry with New Orleans...
You may not see this in NO cause the dynamic is different.

I don't think there are as many people living in NO, but from Atlanta as there are people living in Atlanta but from NO. So, there are probably not as many New Orleans Falcons fans around. Or bars in New Orleans completely overrun by a sea of black & red... BUT, in Atlanta, that isn't uncommon...

That [NFL rivalry] is the root, as far as I've seen... BUT what I'm witnessing is that it IS happening.

I think there are a lot of people in Atlanta that are really getting sick of seeing people represent other "home" cities so strongly (in sports) in Atlanta. But none of the others make Atlanta fans more riled up than the New Orleans fans that seem to run deep through almost half of the city. It's almost as bad as Cowboys fans in DC. There are even bars that are [S]Aints fans establishments (...check out U-Bar... ALL NO fans there). The reason it gets a litter bitter outside of football, is the Atlanta fans turn to poking at what's bad about the city of NO.... THEN the mud starts flying.

What happens next is, (like here on C-D) you'll see someone get sooooooooo offended and up in arms to defend Atlanta against New Orleans or DC... And I suspect that bitter sentiment all started from their sports frustration as an Atlanta fan.

I know I CAN'T be the only one that's seeing this...
Probably gotta ask someone not from NO to see it though.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
They should get over it. Hopefully, the 1st place Clippers have as many fans as the Lakers by now. The Clippers are light years better than the Lakers this year. The Lakers had better set their sights on becoming the best team in their own city again (they can't even manage to do that) before worrying about the Miami Heat.
LoL... I agree. They SHOULD get over it... At least they better real fast before they are disappointed with another ring in Miami, probably coming real soon.

They'll get over it when the Lakers get back to winning.

I feel like, if it weren't Miami, but Indiana, or Detroit, or anyone, those same people would act bitter to wherever else was winning.

And, NO CHANCE IN HELL!!! Clippers have a growing fan base, but LA is LAKER TOWN... No chance "as many" ever happens...

Old 01-26-2014, 01:00 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
I see a lot of San Fran vs Houston on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City