Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times

Advertisements

Summertime!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's nice and all, but not the same level as LA. Yea you shop and do all that, every suburb has that. And to me personally LI might as well be part of NYC. When I said suburbs, I meant further out suburbs. LI is connected to Brooklyn and Queens. So there is PLENTY to do on LI. But go north to places like Spring Valley and Rockland county, and you'll see what I mean.
Well of course Rockland County is quieter as its a smaller county with a smaller population. Also 1/3 of the county is interstate park land (Palisades Interstate Park) cutting down on the developable land considerably. Still it borders Northern New Jersery as its neighbor --- which is similar to Long Island but has an even larger population. Thus Rockland residents have access to what a suburban city like LA has but still have access to Manhattan.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well it gets annoying when you guys call people backwards and conservative just because we prefer more spacious, less dense cities. I agree he was little harsh, but to you guys cities like LA or Houston look like suburbs, but to us they look like cities.

Threads like this would not happen if sometimes people would quit thinking just because they live in NYC or BOS they automatically know what's best for every city, not everyone wants to live like that. We have bigger things to worry about instead of wasting time trying to build up our cities and expand public transit.
It's not about people from New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, DC calling those cities suburbs. They call them cities that are suburban in nature. They know they are cities. It's just that these are different cities from not only what you will find in the Northeast and Midwest. But just about the entire world. This is not opinion. It's fact. Houston, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and even Miami are suburban in nature. Miami is dense. But try getting around Miami w/o a car. The good news is all these cities are trying to address that the very best they can.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's not about people from New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, DC calling those cities suburbs. They call them cities that are suburban in nature. They know they are cities. It's just that these are different cities from not only what you will find in the Northeast and Midwest. But just about the entire world. This is not opinion. It's fact. Houston, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and even Miami are suburban in nature. Miami is dense. But try getting around Miami w/o a car. The good news is all these cities are trying to address that the very best they can.
Fair points. But I think some of what is bothering the "newer suburban city" folks is that on a place like City Data --- only "dense cities" are good and everything else is bad. Don't get me wrong, I love dense cities to visit but I do not think it is a requirement to live. There IS civilization in the suburban cities --- you just have to drive to it instead of taking public transport. Does it really matter if you take a train to a museum in NY or Chicago --- or drive to it like in Houston or LA?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well newsflash, not everyone wants to live in cities like that. That is the point I'm trying to get across. If we all wanted to live like that, we'd be there. We understand that our cities are suburban like, but they don't feel suburban to us and we like them like this. You guys can keep your urban,dense, historic cities and we'll be fine with our bland,dull, soulless, cookie cutter cities.

I have no problem with driving my car. Can leave whenever I want and go wherever I want. However, I wish Houston would get a better rail system, but as of right now that is not my biggest issue with my city. These cities aren't even built for those types of systems. They are spread out, lack true urban cores, sidewalks, etc

I feel we need to improve our urban cores before we think about trying to become a true urban city.

I understand in the future the way these cities are built will become a problem, but that is the cities fault for being dumbasses and by the time comes; I'll be dead or gone.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Fair points. But I think some of what is bothering the "newer suburban city" folks is that on a place like City Data --- only "dense cities" are good and everything else is bad. Don't get me wrong, I love dense cities to visit but I do not think it is a requirement to live. There IS civilization in the suburban cities --- you just have to drive to it instead of taking public transport. Does it really matter if you take a train to a museum in NY or Chicago --- or drive to it like in Houston or LA?
Great point!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well of course Rockland County is quieter as its a smaller county with a smaller population. Also 1/3 of the county is interstate park land (Palisades Interstate Park) cutting down on the developable land considerably. Still it borders Northern New Jersery as its neighbor --- which is similar to Long Island but has an even larger population. Thus Rockland residents have access to what a suburban city like LA has but still have access to Manhattan.
No, I don't think Rockland would be on LA's level. It isn't far from manhattan which is true. But think about LA's suburbs, meaning everything outside of downtown. Beverly Hills(shopping:rodeo drive), Hollywood(clubs, universal theme park), Venice Beach(water activity, restaurants), Anaheim(Entertainment diseny park), Orange County, Malibu, Santa Monica(water activities, entertaiment), Burbank(where a great number of television studios are), all these places are well outside of Downtown LA. Some of them are not TRADITONAL far out suburbs, but there not waaay in the center of downtown in center city. This is what I meant.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I have to say that those pics were unimpressive. How about some pics that show the uniqueness of houston instead of how it looks like nearlt every other cookie cutter city.
Some people like cookie-cutter homes. And someone who lived in an urban type area there whole life, cookie-cutter might seem UNIQUE to them. What do you think is unique?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think Rockland would be on LA's level. It isn't far from manhattan which is true. But think about LA's suburbs, meaning everything outside of downtown. Beverly Hills(shopping:rodeo drive), Hollywood(clubs, universal theme park), Venice Beach(water activity, restaurants), Anaheim(Entertainment diseny park), Orange County, Malibu, Santa Monica(water activities, entertaiment), Burbank(where a great number of television studios are), all these places are well outside of Downtown LA. Some of them are not TRADITONAL far out suburbs, but there not waaay in the center of downtown in center city. This is what I meant.
I actually see your point. I suspect that many of the people living in Rockland County and the Northern NY suburbs do not want to live like suburbs in LA. In general the Hudson Valley and Connecticut is more quieter, historic and traditional. If they wanted a faster more dense suburb they could choose NNJ or LI. Or of course if they really want excitement they could move to New York City itself!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
Quote:
Some people like cookie-cutter homes. And someone who lived in an urban type area there whole life, cookie-cutter might seem UNIQUE to them. What do you think is unique?
I'm sorry, but I'm not following you. Those pics look like they could have been taken in almost any city. Uniqueness is show me a pic of something that makes Houston different. Maybe a pic of something along the lines that ties the southwesterness of the city to it. The point of comparing the cities or states is showing how they differ from the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City