Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Namely there are robust Vietnamese, Chinese, Nigerian communities and a growing Filipino community in Houston alone in addition to Mexicans and Blacks and whites, which as you noted, you can find all throughout Texas...

Furthermore, many of those whom you are glossing over as "Mexicans" are actually Guatemalans, Hondurans, Columbians etc....If you are going to count the multitude of European cultures in Queens (French, Greek, Russian, Serbian) as diverse individual cultures, you might as well count each Central and South American culture found in Texas as representative of part of the state's diversity...
Yeah I know what you're talking abou, but those nationalities you speak of aren't really represented with their own neighborhoods, stores, restaurants, blocks of the city that you can visit and can really get a feel of what that individuals coutries culture is. It's on a whole new level. If you really want to experience diversity you should explore Queens.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You lived there! Such scholarship.
Thanks for participating in a meaningful manner.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Texas as a whole is diverse, New york just has New York city, is there any other city in NY that is Truly Diverse or diverse?
I see what you're saying, but NYC is part of NYC. You can argue alot of things that Texas may have more/less whatever than NY...But NYC is a big equalizer. Especially when it comes to ethnic diversity. As long as NY has NYC then Texas can't even compete in that category.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
All of these races are also present in Houston. Maybe not in the numbers that you have in NYC but they're here. When did you live here lamexican?
80s...then a short stint while my father was dying in 1999. I have lots of family and still visit. I was visiting my cousin in last Sept.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
These Texans think they're on the same level with everything, you notice that? I get reps from lurkers who say the same thing. Whenever someone claims to have lived in Texas, their comeback is "Well you haven't traveled the whole state." How do you know where they've gone? There's always SOME excuse as to why we know nothing. Gotta love it. It's fair to compare a county to a state--it's still a part of NYS so it isn't off-topic.
I get the same thing...They most likely haven't experienced the real NY... I'm sure many of them have visited and had a wonderfulk time in lower manhattan.. they may have ventured to a destination or two in another borough but haven't really experienced the divers nabes in the city.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonicaALEX View Post
No, we all think that only you and the other 2 NY travel guides (lamexican and the other one) are noticing that

You know what most of us notice though? The fact that NY'ers are very insecure at losing polls. You and the other 2 need to get over the fact that not everyone wants to live in NY and not everyone thinks that NY is the best. You guys are trying desperately to grasp onto something, anything to restore your lost pride. As a Californian, I like Texas better because of its very diverse and friendly big cities, its great job market, diverse topography, personal freedon and other things. NY is like a police state with high taxes and a welfare seekers dream. The politicians of NY are destroying that great state. Look at your governors approval rate.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LOL. You will find each and every one of these in Texas. EVERY ONE. And to say Houston isn't diverse shows me the ignorance people have about that city. But continue to think that it's some Southern backwater town. The people that say that only makes themself look foolish. The three New Yorkers on this thread are amazing. BTW, lamexican, you will find thousands of Jamaicans in Houston. As well as Haitians, Belizans, Panamanians, Nigerians (ESPECIALLY), Ghananians, Sengalese, and more.
Come experience real diveristy...No one is saying that they aren't present in every major city, but there is a whole new level that NYC offers if you want to experience it.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
And you are from CA? Um, have you looked at your state's financial status lately?
Exactly.... California is the most bankrupt city in the country.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
blame the people running the state not the residents.
Tell that to Ms. Santa Monica.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Well I've lived here my whole life and I haven't even scratched the surface of all the places here. I find it hard to believe that someone lived here for a shorter period than me and has experienced every nook to the point that they can make assertions like lamexican.
Don't have too look for it her....its all around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City