Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM

203 posts, read 689,050 times

Advertisements

Texas

No brainer

They have way more people than us.. If this question is about economics

Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,945 times
Having lived in both, I would prefer NY over Texas. I found that the terrain in Texas was rather boring unless you got out into the extreme western portions of the state (yes, I have seen the "hill country"). I prefer the green forests and mountains of NY over the plains of Texas.

Also, the Texas heat is harder for me to deal with than the NY cold. At least in NY you get some real seasons, leaves that change, ect. Also, NYC is pretty cool in it's own right.

I don't hate Texas - the winters there are usually pretty nice and the folks sure are friendly. I love the BBQ, low taxes, conservative govt., and the economy. Overall, I was still happier living in NY than I was in TX.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Texas

No brainer

They have way more people than us.. If this question is about economics
It's about the overall picture.....

Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times
Texas by a long shot

Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM

34 posts, read 137,111 times
New York!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM

155 posts, read 380,664 times
New york, new york, new york

Old 08-22-2009, 10:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
This is a tough one, but I would still prefer New York over Texas.
I would pick Texas if you were going on economic issues alone.

In terms of demographics they are complete opposities. Texas has a very young population with a very high growth rate. Texas cities attract a lot of educated professional types. New York has a severe brain drain problem in much of the Upstate region. Its population is declining and greying over most of the rural counties and Great Lakes cities while NYC continues to grow.

I would pick NY, but it would have to be a higher paying job in the Upstate reaches. The outdoor ammenities of Lake Ontario, the Adriondacks, the Catskills, and proximity to the Green Mountains trump anything Texas has to offer.

In terms of climate, I am MUCH MUCH MUCH more comfortable in NY compared to TX. I can't handle the high sun angle and constant heat of TX. I live in NH, so NY is somewhat milder. NY has the four seasons, and a more vigorous zone 3 nordic belt in the Adriondacks that is appealing.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Having lived in both, I would prefer NY over Texas. I found that the terrain in Texas was rather boring unless you got out into the extreme western portions of the state (yes, I have seen the "hill country"). I prefer the green forests and mountains of NY over the plains of Texas.

Also, the Texas heat is harder for me to deal with than the NY cold. At least in NY you get some real seasons, leaves that change, ect. Also, NYC is pretty cool in it's own right.
Ok, I'm not going to dispute your opinion, but I will give some counter examples.
East Texas is actually almost all forest, and we have swamp here mixed in too.
not that the forest here is as "refreshing" as NY's.
There are also more extreme terrain than just plains, hill country, and the western desert.
Which IMO, Utah is better...where all the cowboy films are filmed anyways.
There are mountains, they arn't any Rockie Mountains, but they do have a few nice forests and unique geographical value.
The pan handle is also slightly different, you have Palo Duro canyon, which is the largest canyon in the US BEHIND...the GRAND Canyon.
and you have a few waterfalls and springs blah blah blah.
and an ok beach.
and IMO, I can't stand the cold from the North.
I spent sometime up there for Christmas, and had enough winter weather for now. You have to wear all these extra things, and here it stays quiet simple.
Granted we don't have the nicest summer, but I take the summer heat way better than the cold 2 feet of snow plus wind chill -20 degrees with snow you can't really use to build a snowman XD.
Plus you have to shovel snow, ick.
but if I can totally see where you're coming from, if you're used to that weather I would understand why you would put up with that as opposed to our scorching summers.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Ok, I'm not going to dispute your opinion, but I will give some counter examples.
East Texas is actually almost all forest, and we have swamp here mixed in too.
not that the forest here is as "refreshing" as NY's.
There are also more extreme terrain than just plains, hill country, and the western desert.
Which IMO, Utah is better...where all the cowboy films are filmed anyways.
There are mountains, they arn't any Rockie Mountains, but they do have a few nice forests and unique geographical value.
The pan handle is also slightly different, you have Palo Duro canyon, which is the largest canyon in the US BEHIND...the GRAND Canyon.
and you have a few waterfalls and springs blah blah blah.
and an ok beach.
and IMO, I can't stand the cold from the North.
I spent sometime up there for Christmas, and had enough winter weather for now. You have to wear all these extra things, and here it stays quiet simple.
Granted we don't have the nicest summer, but I take the summer heat way better than the cold 2 feet of snow plus wind chill -20 degrees with snow you can't really use to build a snowman XD.
Plus you have to shovel snow, ick.
but if I can totally see where you're coming from, if you're used to that weather I would understand why you would put up with that as opposed to our scorching summers.
I agree. Snow is HIGHLY overrated. Having 4 seasons in general is overrated. I MUCH, MUCH prefer summer over winter. And when I say winter, I'm just talking about southern winters. If I hate southern winters, then I'm gonna absolutely despise northern winters. I much rather have a TX summer then a northern winter. I don't see the fuss over seeing snow, I saw it and it was fun for maybe 30mins, then it got boring. And the Hill Country is just as pleasing as anywhere I've seen up north.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:56 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
LOL - "a few waterfalls and springs" - I guess it's easy to pooh pooh that when you're talking about dry Western states that don't have very much water.

NY has a lot of the most dramatic geological features east of the Rockies: largest volume waterfall, tallest waterfall drop, a very large river gorge, largest protected wilderness areas, largest lakes (2 great lakes), largest archipelago of fresh water islands, etc. That's nothing to ignore. People simply don't know New York as a STATE very well because everyone is focused on New York City which is a very small percentage of its total land area.

New York has more greatness per square mile than much bigger states do! It is ridiculously blessed with human diversity, historical significance, and natural beauty and productivity all out of proportion to its size.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 09-06-2009 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City