Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 PM

117 posts, read 330,833 times

Advertisements

I guess thats what I like about Texas West and East are different, its like two diferrent states together. One side is brown and the other is much more green. California its everything but it's all scattered around, you really can't seperate the state geographically .

Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate 24 View Post
I guess thats what I like about Texas West and East are different, its like two diferrent states together. One side is brown and the other is much more green. California its everything but it's all scattered around, you really can't seperate the state geographically .
Texas isnt as geographically diverse as California, and is probably easier to "separate" geographically, but TX is more than just "green" or "brown".

The "green" Gulf Coast is going to be different than the the "green" Piney Woods. Then theres the stuff between brown and green....

What about the "yellow" Panhandle Plains or the North Texas Prairies. And the Hill Country is both "green" and "brown".

The "brown" Guadalupe and Davis Mtns. are going to be different than the "brown" South Texas landscape.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:23 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What restaurants did you eat at? I want to see if I know them.

All vendor hot dogs I eat are always pretty warm. I guess you just didn't go to a good one. But, I'm glad you enjoyed our city.
Yeah I feel the same way, there's so many of them that there's bound to be a bad one here and there.

Whether NY State is #1, #2, or #3 its still very very impressive, look at the size of its closest competition California and Texas, NY still holds its own against them despite being smaller and I give NY props for that. Both states are among the most diverse (in every category) probably #2 & #3.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Texas isnt as geographically diverse as California, and is probably easier to "separate" geographically, but TX is more than just "green" or "brown".

The "green" Gulf Coast is going to be different than the the "green" Piney Woods. Then theres the stuff between brown and green....

What about the "yellow" Panhandle Plains or the North Texas Prairies. And the Hill Country is both "green" and "brown".

The "brown" Guadalupe and Davis Mtns. are going to be different than the "brown" South Texas landscape.
Yeah in the continental U.S. I'd say CA is the most diverse and TX is number two. I heard that Alaska is the most diverse in the country. Since AK is twice the size of TX I can definitely believe that.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:07 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What restaurants did you eat at? I want to see if I know them.

All vendor hot dogs I eat are always pretty warm. I guess you just didn't go to a good one. But, I'm glad you enjoyed our city.

Rocky Horse in Chelsea Mexican food = good
Brooklyn Diner Time Square not so good.
I gotta pull up my statement to see what the names where already forgot exact names. We ate at this cool place right after going to a gay bar called Splash.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:31 PM

24 posts, read 51,915 times
Why would anyone ever compare tx to ny. Tx, as a state in this day and age, cannot compete with states like ny in terms of society, education, culture, economic diversity, finance/banking, international clout, commerce/trade, etc.. The idiocy of this comparison is part of why many people in this country are disgusted in our fellow fanatical Americans in tx and is why no one will take you seriously. I would believe this whole thread to be started by a texan and his/her insecurity about their own state. Many texans don't seem to be self-aware enough to not let their pride embellish facts and twist the truth about their side of a debate.

One example is GDP. As anyone knows, state GDP is almost solely calculated on the population of residents in a given state. An apples to apples comparison would be comparing per capita GDP. Obviously, ny's per capita GDP is higher than tx, as are many states. This may be due to the fact that texans are incompetent or too lazy to compete in this arena, or maybe not - the issue is that texas has never been competitive in terms of per capita gdp. And, if you think a "state" GDP alone means everything, then maybe you have a backwards "state first" mentality that seems to be so prevalent in tx. This is typical of many texans and is one of the reasons for why their neo-confederate stereotype is perpetuated - which, by the way, is a negative stereotype in that its very existence is due entirely by people in tx promoting how they cannot seem to change with the socio-political realities around them in their own country. This is a social facet that comes being fanatical and primitive in thought (or not being able to emerge from the 19th century in terms of thought and viewpoint). So, why would you use GDP to compare states - because you have nothing to show culturally or socially (i.e. tx, as a state, makes consistently poorer stats in education, social welfare, and quality of living compared to ny - as a state).

Another example is culture. It takes worldly diversity, rich history, awareness to have culture. If you think a few dots of Spanish/Mexican history in tx do it, think again. Do you understand why NYC is called a "world city" and why dallas and houston are not? ny is like a the Smithsonian compared to tx which is like an Alamo gift shop. tx was considered a tribal/unwanted land by the Spanish, Mexican and United States governments due to its isolation. Another critical missing element of culture is American history/culture - which tx is severely lacking in. I feel sorry for those of us who have to tell our children that their home state was not involved in the founding of this country. And, when the country divided, as the records show, tx committed under 2000 troops to the confederate war - while other states contributed over 200,000 troops. This means tx can't even pride themselves culturally in what seems to mean the most to them in terms of their American history.

Cuisine: If texans think the rest of us believe tex-mex is exotic and cultural - you've got to be kidding. Don't you realize this is just American capitalism at work? If I want good food (any type of cuisine) I don't think tx. If I want real Mexican food, I will go to Mexico. If you think there is good food in tx, it means you never left tx.

Geography/weather: tx is primarily plains. everyone knows this. there are some places like big bend with interesting vistas - but these are hours away from anywhere and border Mexico. it isn't on the top of any lists for national parks and doesn't compare to the adirondacks, finger lakes, etc. most of ny is plush while tx is either a dry mountainless wasteland or exhibits levels of humidity tied with key west as the worst weather in the U.S.. ny at least has seasons, while most places in texas require that you stay in the house during spring/summer/fall months. Do I need to go into hurricanes, floods, hail, tornadoes, and dust storms? I think not. These are tragedies that tx doesn't seem to boast about too often. tx should NEVER compare itself with ca or fl in terms of nice weather.

I choose ny because; socially, texas is backward; culturally, tx is lacking; economically, tx is lacking; and, geographically, tx is lacking.

All texans should leave their state and then return back to it. You will be better people when you do and you will understand what you are competing against once you realize there is more out there than the abyss you live in.

Last edited by CmonFolks!; 01-17-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonFolks! View Post
Why would anyone ever compare tx to ny. Tx, as a state in this day and age, cannot compete with states like ny in terms of society, education, culture, economic diversity, finance/banking, international clout, commerce/trade, etc.. The idiocy of this comparison is part of why many people in this country are disgusted in our fellow fanatical Americans in tx and is why no one will take you seriously. I would believe this whole thread to be started by a texan and his/her insecurity about their own state. Many texans don't seem to be self-aware enough to not let their pride embellish facts and twist the truth about their side of a debate.

One example is GDP. As anyone knows, state GDP is almost solely calculated on the population of residents in a given state. An apples to apples comparison would be comparing per capita GDP. Obviously, ny's per capita GDP is higher than tx, as are many states. This may be due to the fact that texans are incompetent or too lazy to compete in this arena, or maybe not - the issue is that texas has never been competitive in terms of per capita gdp. And, if you think a "state" GDP alone means everything, then maybe you have a backwards "state first" mentality that seems to be so prevalent in tx. This is typical of many texans and is one of the reasons for why their neo-confederate stereotype is perpetuated - which, by the way, is a negative stereotype in that its very existence is due entirely by people in tx promoting how they cannot seem to change with the socio-political realities around them in their own country. This is a social facet that comes being fanatical and primitive in thought (or not being able to emerge from the 19th century in terms of thought and viewpoint). So, why would you use GDP to compare states - because you have nothing to show culturally or socially (i.e. tx, as a state, makes consistently poorer stats in education, social welfare, and quality of living compared to ny - as a state.

Another example is culture. It takes worldly diversity, rich history, awareness to have culture. If you think a few dots of Spanish/Mexican history in tx do it, think again. Do you understand why NYC is called a "world city" and why dallas and houston are not? ny is like a the Smithsonian compared to tx which is like an Alamo gift shop. tx was considered a tribal/unwanted land by the Spanish, Mexican and United States governments due to its isolation. Another critical missing element of culture is American history/culture - which tx is severely lacking in. I feel sorry for those of us who cannot tell our children that my state was not involved in the founding of this country. And, when the country divided, as the records show, tx committed under 2000 troops to the confederate war - while other states contributed over 200,000 troops. This means tx can't even pride themselves culturally in what seems to mean the most to them in terms of their American history.

Cuisine: If texans think the rest of us believe tex-mex is exotic and cultural - you've got to be kidding. Don't you realize this is just American capitalism at work? If I want good food (any type of cuisine) I don't think tx. If I want real Mexican food, I will go to Mexico. If you think there is good food in tx, it means you never left tx.

Geography/weather: tx is primarily plains. everyone knows this. there are some places like big bend with interesting vistas - but these are hours away from anywhere and border Mexico. it isn't on the top of any lists for national parks and doesn't compare to the adirondacks, finger lakes, etc. most of ny is plush while tx is either a dry mountainless wasteland or exhibits levels of humidity tied with key west as the worst weather in the U.S.. ny at least has seasons, while most places in texas require that you stay in the house during spring/summer/fall months. Do I need to go into hurricanes, floods, hail, tornadoes, and dust storms? I think not. These are tragedies that tx doesn't seem to boast about too often. tx should NEVER compare itself with ca or fl in terms of nice weather.

I choose ny because; socially, texas is backward; culturally, tx is lacking; economically, tx is lacking; and, geographically, tx is lacking.

All texans should leave their state and then return back to it. You will be better people when you do and you will understand what you are competing against once you realize there is more out there than the abyss you live in.
I'm not even going to address nothing you've stated, because either your joking or your just that misinformed about Texas.

P.S. This was started by a Californian.....

Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM

155 posts, read 196,818 times
I would choose New York, the state has more of the offerings I would enjoy.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm not even going to address nothing you've stated, because either your joking or your just that misinformed about Texas.

P.S. This was started by a Californian.....
I wouldn't worry about him. He has a downright hate for the state and it's beyond tired. Every post he has made on this board is expressing negativity about the state in some way.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:16 PM

184 posts, read 571,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonFolks! View Post

One example is GDP. As anyone knows, state GDP is almost solely calculated on the population of residents in a given state. An apples to apples comparison would be comparing per capita GDP. Obviously, ny's per capita GDP is higher than tx, as are many states. This may be due to the fact that texans are incompetent or too lazy to compete in this arena, or maybe not - the issue is that texas has never been competitive in terms of per capita gdp. And, if you think a "state" GDP alone means everything, then maybe you have a backwards "state first" mentality that seems to be so prevalent in tx. This is typical of many texans and is one of the reasons for why their neo-confederate stereotype is perpetuated - which, by the way, is a negative stereotype in that its very existence is due entirely by people in tx promoting how they cannot seem to change with the socio-political realities around them in their own country. This is a social facet that comes being fanatical and primitive in thought (or not being able to emerge from the 19th century in terms of thought and viewpoint). So, why would you use GDP to compare states - because you have nothing to show culturally or socially (i.e. tx, as a state, makes consistently poorer stats in education, social welfare, and quality of living compared to ny - as a state).

Another example is culture. It takes worldly diversity, rich history, awareness to have culture. If you think a few dots of Spanish/Mexican history in tx do it, think again. Do you understand why NYC is called a "world city" and why dallas and houston are not? ny is like a the Smithsonian compared to tx which is like an Alamo gift shop. tx was considered a tribal/unwanted land by the Spanish, Mexican and United States governments due to its isolation. Another critical missing element of culture is American history/culture - which tx is severely lacking in. I feel sorry for those of us who have to tell our children that their home state was not involved in the founding of this country. And, when the country divided, as the records show, tx committed under 2000 troops to the confederate war - while other states contributed over 200,000 troops. This means tx can't even pride themselves culturally in what seems to mean the most to them in terms of their American history.

Wow, I mean I like Texas but what you said is very realistic. +1. By the way, I voted for Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City