Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Houston
Houston 107 39.93%
Denver 161 60.07%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
More so in Dallas than Houston, but yes Texas cities do like to flaunt their wealth. Then again what cities that have it to flaunt don't?

Houston's GDP ranks 4th in the nation. Denver's 18th.

Houston has more millionaires & billionaires thanks to oil, energy, biomedical, & international trade.

As someone else mentioned, Denver is best compared to a much smaller city/metro like San Antonio or Austin.
Let's not pretend Denver isn't doing well. Denver is the 21st largest metro in the US with the 18th largest GDP. For a city of less than 3 million, Denver punches above it's weight imo. I agree Denver is better compared to cities like San Antonio or Austin, but even then I think Denver is somewhat ahead.

For example, Chicago is a bigger city with much more to offer than Houston does. Does that mean Houston lacks? Not everyone likes a city because it's larger than the other.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-30-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times
"As someone else mentioned, Denver is best compared to a much smaller city/metro like San Antonio or Austin."

Try again! Maybe if you combined them!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 PM

213 posts, read 388,577 times
I wouldn't say that everybody in Houston or Dallas flaunts their money, but they like finer things in life. It is true that many in both Dallas and Houston care about their placement in society. When they go raise money for the opera or museum of fine arts, they like to dress up in something that a photographer will notice and the local society columnist will comment. This has been going on for decades. One of the longtime favorites of locals is Papercity

Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"As someone else mentioned, Denver is best compared to a much smaller city/metro like San Antonio or Austin."

Try again! Maybe if you combined them!
Don't think so. Denver is a wonderful city & all, but no.

San Antonio alone with 2.3 million is almost the size of Denver.

Denver = 2.6 mil.

San Antonio + Austin = 4.0 mil.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times
Denver is 3.3 million CSMA. And has already trounced sa, dallas, Austin and Houston in polls! So again, how is Houston twice as good?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Denver gets my vote. I did not like Houston when I lived there in the 1980s and didn't like it the last time I was there a few years back.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:53 PM

213 posts, read 388,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver is 3.3 million CSMA. And has already trounced sa, dallas, Austin and Houston in polls! So again, how is Houston twice as good?
I'm not saying Houston is twice as good, I'm just stating the reasons on why I prefer Houston over Denver. I like Denver, and my family has lived there, but it's just not for me. Everybody has a choice and preference on where to live, and both Denver and Houston are in the top uhaul migration destinations with Houston being 1 and Denver being 49.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
What's with all the hate on Houston/Texas? Sure it has it's pros and cons, but so does Denver Colorado!

I prefer Houston, far better Cost of Living, lower taxes, better weather (I like warm/humid weather), more job opportunities, and awesome Southern Culture! Plus you will be around people who uphold the Constitution and know how to shoot guns and hunt.

Would never want to live in Denver. Too cold and too expensive. It does have some beautiful views though, but it's only worth visiting IMO.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
What's with all the hate on Houston/Texas? Sure it has it's pros and cons, but so does Denver Colorado!

I prefer Houston, far better Cost of Living, lower taxes, better weather (I like warm/humid weather), more job opportunities, and awesome Southern Culture! Plus you will be around people who uphold the Constitution and know how to shoot guns and hunt.

Would never want to live in Denver. Too cold and too expensive. It does have some beautiful views though, but it's only worth visiting IMO.
You obviously know nothing about the people of Houston. Most people here don't give a crap about the constitution and the only people shooting here are doing it in convenience stores. You might find some hunters in the inbreed section of far east and northeast Harris County and the east and north east counties. Houston is not the utopia you have dreamed it to be.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I have never been to Houston or Denver

I did not know that I needed to visit a place to have an opinion
Usually that's a good idea. Especially if you're so resolute about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City